I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

spine vs. eye position
Posted by: troy goss (207.40.148.---)
Date: November 18, 2002 12:42AM

it would be interesting to here of all the possible effects that can take place when the eyes are not lined up with the spine.

example: I recieved a replacement redington 9' #5 RS2 (I sent them a broken origional Red Start 5/6 weight (different rod)) and upon inspection found that while looking down the top half of the blank under load, the eyes seem to be in the 5 o'clock position instead of the optimal 6 o,clock position. The butt section under the same test revieled the eyes at the 4 o'clock position. the broken one was spined perfectly (made in USA). The RS2 had a "made in Korea" sticker. if that is of any consiquence.

I am in the info. gathering stages of my rod building career and have not yet built my own but I'm already gaining confidence that I can build a more stucturally sound piece than can a noted manufacturer. does anyone else have or know of someone having a redington like this? I am clearly dissapointed in their drop in quality since my last purchase. I am being forced to build my own he he :)
thanks Troy

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: spine vs. eye position
Posted by: Stan Wimberly (---.bayou.com)
Date: November 18, 2002 01:19AM

By "eyes" are you refering to the GUIDES?
What reference are you using for position? The reel seat, possiable.
Stan

Posted by: Ken Preston (---.longhl01.md.comcast.net)
Date: November 18, 2002 06:39AM

Troy -
You have discovered why so many of us have taken up the "build your own" approach to fishing rods. You can do better and you will do better because you will take your time on each rod you make. You will choose the better grade of piece/parts. You will put the guides where they are supposed to be (based on test casting). Simply put: Anyone can do a better job with the one-at-a-time approach than any large manufacturer that has to meet a supply/demand of X-parts / month.

This is not a simple "Made in USA" is better it's a quality control issue no matter where the rod is made or by whom..

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (---.WLDF.splitrock.net)
Date: November 18, 2002 09:10AM

Reddington is probably doing what most other manufacturers do - building on the straightest axis which is rarely in line with the effective spine. Customers, who aren't informed about things like rod spine, prefer their rods to appear straight when sighting down them with the guides held up or down.

In some cases, this can cause you to have a rod that doesn't track perfectly in line on the forward and back casts. It all depends on how strong the spine effect on your rod is. Check the FAQs page here for some information on how different guide to spine locations can affect your rod.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster