I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

What's best method to keep tread in place during the wrapping of butt wrap
Posted by: Mike Clements (---.74.33.65.cfl.res.rr.com)
Date: January 31, 2009 06:30PM

I just had to cut off a fish butt wrap because my thread loosen up so much I could not pack properly. What is the best method for holding the treads inplace during the wrap so they do not loosen. I was just using masking tap & it doesn't seem to hold the tread. Also, when doing the wrap do you use alot of tension or something lesser.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: What's best method to keep tread in place during the wrapping of butt wrap
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: January 31, 2009 07:16PM

You have to keep adding more tape. If you don't, much of the thread you apply never actually sticks to anything - there is only so much room on the tape.

It also helps to make a wrap around the blank (on the tape) and then start up the rod with the thread. The Amato book Rod Building Guide has a full color pictorial on all aspects of starting, making and finishing such wraps.

Posted by: William Bartlett (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: January 31, 2009 08:04PM

You could also try pinning down the crossing points with color preserver.

Bill in WV

Posted by: Robert Balcombe (---.jax.centurytel.net)
Date: February 01, 2009 01:31AM

Use a small impliment like a awl or dental pick or even a tooth pick to press down the thread on to the tape. Never press the thread with your fingers. Your fingers have oil an press down with your finger well take away some of the sticky stuff of the tape
Good Wraps bob

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.nycmny.east.verizon.net)
Date: February 01, 2009 08:51AM

MAsking tape is a waste of time. USe double stick tape.

Posted by: Mike Clements (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: February 01, 2009 09:07AM

Thanks guys for the input. I'm going to use double sided tape & see how that goes.

Mike

Posted by: Fred Yarmolowicz (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: February 01, 2009 09:16AM

If you were using Madeira thread the masking tape is not enough. The lubricant in the thread needs more stickiness. Double sided carpet tape from a big box store does the trick. One roll lasts forever (maybe not for some of the NERBS). Also with this thread the tension needs to be a little higher due to the amount the thread stretches. Do a comparison to get a feel if you used a different brand of thread previously. Attention must also be payed to the tie off as with the higher tension the whole wrap may slip when the tape is removed. Billy Vivona`s book covers these issues in detail. A good read if you dont already have it.

Freddwhy (Rapt-Ryte)

Date: February 01, 2009 09:46AM

Put done a couple of layers of masking tape before the double sided tape
Good Wraps Bob

Posted by: Steve Broadwell (---.9.89.75.dynamic.ip.windstream.net)
Date: February 01, 2009 11:50AM

I have a big elaborate procedure that I have developed over time. First, I tape down a piece of paper towel, cut to 3/4" width. I put a short piece of either flat popsicle stick or a piece of drinking straw in as I spiral the paper towel. Then, I make one or two wraps of masking tape around that. Finally, I make a wrap of Duck Tape brand double face, also cut to 3/4".
Like so much else in rodbuilding, you have to play around with things like this, to see what works for you.
Steve Broadwell

Date: February 01, 2009 07:28PM

I for got the paper towel trick. Like all tricks of the trade, you have to practise to see what meets your needs. One thing about using towels is it keeps the blank clean of sticky crap.
Good Wraps bob

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.150.popsite.net)
Date: February 02, 2009 11:54AM

I like the single sticky masking tape. I take it and lay it onto my paints, pull off several times to take off some sticky. Then go onto the blank over a straw, tooth pick, then reverse. Any glue on the blank after can be washed off.

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: William Bartlett (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: February 02, 2009 01:10PM

I can attest to Steve's comment about the Duck brand double sided tape. This stuff is sticky!!!

Bill in WV

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster