I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

fly line grain weight
Posted by: Gavin Schar (---.telkom-ipnet.co.za)
Date: January 31, 2009 08:52AM

Hi All,

As I understand things there is a scheduled weight (measured in grains) for a designated line weight. For example, a DT 1 should be 60 grains, a DT 2 should be 80 grains and DT 3 should be 100 grains. My questions are as follows:

1. Do WF lines carry the same grain weight; and
2. I would be grateful if you would post any grain weights for 3 and 4 wt lines that you know of (to the extent that different manufacturers vary in weight).

Thanks.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: fly line grain weight
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: January 31, 2009 02:05PM

They're listed on the CCS information site. It's the standard AFTMA chart from 1962. Still the same.

3 = 100 grains

4 = 120 grains

This is measured on the first 30 feet of line, both for WF and DT.

Line manufacturers do not always abide by the very standards that they rate their lines by. You can weigh them yourself just to make sure.

Posted by: Eugene Moore (---.245.95.88.Dial1.StLouis1.Level3.net)
Date: January 31, 2009 02:08PM

WF and DT line carry the same weight in grains for the first 30 feet of line.
This length is accepted for all fly line and the rods for casting them.
Attached are the weights from a common website can't remember which one, but they are not a secret.
If line manufacturers go outside these accepted standards they should note the deviation in their description. SA GPX 1/2 line heavier than accepted, RIO Grand 1/2 line heavier heavier

AFTMA Fly line weight ratings (grains)

Weight Grains Tolerable Range
1 60 54-66
2 80 74-86
3 100 94-106
4 120 114-126
5 140 134-146
6 160 152-168
7 185 177-193
8 210 202-218
9 240 230-250
10 280 270-290
11 330 318-342
12 380 368-392
Grains are weighed over front 30 feet of line.

Date: January 31, 2009 03:21PM

Remember that rods are not rated by any AFTMA (or other) standards. A rod rated for casting say, a 5-weight line, may require 200 grains (or whatever) to load. The length of line required to easily load a fly rod is not set at 30 feet. On some rods it may be 15 feet, on others, 75 feet. This is why rods from different companies that carry the same line number may possess greatly different amounts of inherent power.

Posted by: Gavin Schar (---.telkom-ipnet.co.za)
Date: January 31, 2009 04:19PM

Hi, Thanks guys. Makes sense. I just built up a new high end 3wt blank. I had SA XPS 4dt loaded on my reel (this is the line that I thought I would use on this blank all along), so I took it our to the park and had a few casts. The rod loaded very nicely, but it just lacked something...it seemed that something was wrong. Then I put another reel on with Airflo Technical series freshwater DT3 - totally different rod. Transformed a blank from a very nice blank to the best blank I have ever cast!

I'll make sure to use only a 3wt line on this rod, even loading in close was more comfortable with the 3wt line!

Thanks again,
G

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.235.78.90.Dial1.Orlando1.Level3.net)
Date: February 02, 2009 09:48PM

I endorse Tom Kirkman's comments. I have a 9 foot fly rod rated as a 5 weight which I was using for shad fishing. I was using a #5 WF - F line which weighed 150 grains in the first 30 feet. I had the very devil of a time achieving any distance with this set-up. When I put a WF-F line weighing 195 grains in the first 30 feet on this rod the rig cast beautifully.
I have noticed that over lining slower (more parabolic or more full-flex rods) creates a more noticeable improvement in casting performance than over lining rods with faster tips. Can anyone confirm or deny this observation?

Date: February 03, 2009 07:25AM

Too much weight on a fast action rod will overload the tip, although with a timing adjustment you can work with this. Generally, a fast action rod will handle a wider range of line weights than a slower action rod.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster