I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Tinting permagloss?
Posted by: Andy Klosky (---.kwk.clearwire-dns.net)
Date: January 30, 2009 06:48PM

I have some un-colored blanks I wanted to color and have read several posts on here about permagloss and its use. It seems like adding a tint / color to permagloss would be a good way to go. I was kind of hoping for a translucent finish vs. opaque like spray paint. Any success or failures out there? Recommendations for color to use as tint? Thanks!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Tinting permagloss?
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: January 30, 2009 06:58PM

It works very well for that - just use a few drops of pigment and you'll be fine. The effect will be a tint or hue rather than a solid color.

Posted by: William Bartlett (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: January 30, 2009 07:16PM

The best pigments I've found, so far, are the Swifty Diamonite pigments as they're formulated just for this use. Someone else will chime in with others that are formulated for use in Gel Coat for boats, I can't remember the name of them right now. You can also use Testor's model paints with the solvent poured off. As Tom stated, a little goes a long way.

Bill in WV

Posted by: James Willard (208.46.72.---)
Date: January 31, 2009 12:43PM

Where can someone purchase this swifty diamondite pigment, I have looked at my main suppliers and even on the swifty diamondite manufacute website and have found no mention of it much less in the inventory. I have been painting my blanks, but i would like to try this permagloss for my lighter rods as I would obviously like to add as little weight as possible and I have a couple more questions about the use of perma gloss. Do i need more than one coat to do a blank and do I need to put a clear coat over? I am pretty sure I don't need the clear coat, but i looked at the price of an ounce of the stuff and my blanks and decided I don't want to figure this out for myself. Thanks as always.
James

Date: January 31, 2009 12:50PM

@#$%& or MudHole has it. Unless Swifty has discontinued production.

Bill in WV

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: January 31, 2009 12:53PM

I was under the impression that Swifty is no loner in business. Hope I'm wrong

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: mike harris (---.unknown.charter.com)
Date: January 31, 2009 01:18PM

Even with Swifty gone I suspect that some of the dealers have kits in stock, I just bought a couple years supply of Diamondite thread finish.

Posted by: mike harris (---.unknown.charter.com)
Date: January 31, 2009 01:18PM

remove

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/31/2009 06:05PM by mike harris.

Posted by: Greg Weaver (---.americawest.com)
Date: January 31, 2009 03:19PM

I just searched Mudhole and @#$%& and couldn't find the swifty pigment kits. Mudhole didn't even have it listed under "marbling". They must be out of it and can't get it anymore. It used to be listed under new products. Not there anymore, either.

Date: January 31, 2009 04:30PM

Andy,

Tapp Plastics pigment was the other that I was trying to think of last night. You might also look at Pearl - Ex Powder Pigments. You do a search on here for them to find info and places to get them. I've only gotten them from the infamous @#$%& site. Tons of neat colors.

Bill in WV

Posted by: Robert Balcombe (---.jax.centurytel.net)
Date: January 31, 2009 05:11PM

My wife does painting and she gets hers from www.jacquardproducts.com for the pearl ex right now they have a great reduction price going on for the small kits but not alot of colors in the small kit, anyways, here is the link for the reduction sale page [www.jacquardproducts.com]
Good Wraps Bob

Date: February 01, 2009 10:43AM

Great! Thanks for all the response. Looks like I have some shopping to do . . . . almost like a kid in a candy store.

Date: February 04, 2009 03:57AM

I found some pearl ex powders and ordered a few colors. Lots of choices. Has anyone used the "interference" colors? How are they different from a basic color?
When these come in I have some mixing / testing / playing to do . . .

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster