I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Over the edge
Posted by: Curtis Trompler (---.austinareaobgyn.com)
Date: January 30, 2009 03:53PM

Is it best to go a little past the edge of the thread wraps when applying finish? I've gotten in the habit of covering only the wraps. I use permagloss, but this could apply to other finishes as well. It looks good, but I'm wondering if this leaves the finish too thin at the edges to protect the thread. This could explain some fraying I noticed on a recently completed rod...

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Over the edge
Posted by: Mark Griffin (---.lsanca.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: January 30, 2009 04:23PM

I for one, always take my epoxy "over the edge". On heavy, off-shore rods, i go over probably 1/8" onto the blank past the thread. Less on lighter, more sensitive rods. On a fly rod for example, i'll run it on to the blank just enough that when it's dry, you could run your fingernail up the blank and over the wrap without feeling a pronounced edge to the wrap.

I've got friends and customers that DON'T spill over onto the blank, but instead stop right at the threads edge. One that comes to mind was a Permagloss devotee too. I just like the piece of mind of having that edge sealed and protected.

Mark Griffin
[]
C&M Custom Tackle
San Dimas, California

Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: January 30, 2009 04:46PM

Perma Gloss needs an edge finish coating - must go to blank to resist abrasion form sliding in and out of rodlockers on bass boats - take a pretty hard knock on an edge when pulling rods

Posted by: Patrick Vernacchio (---.telalaska.com)
Date: January 30, 2009 06:52PM

I build mainly fresh water spinning, casting, and fly rods. In that case, I'm a "less is better" fan, when it comes to applying finish, and I do everything I can to keep the finish from overlapping to the blank. Taking into account to make sure the finish is smooth. But I'm not indifferent to builders who like to finish the wraps so thinly that you can feel each wrap.

How does a thin finish provide any less protection than a thickly-applied finish, all else being equal? If the thread is sealed, then it stands to reason that it should be impervious to water, regardless of how thick the finish is; which is what the finish is supposed to do. Besides, keeping the finish just on the wraps makes it far easier if a rebuild ever occurs.

Bill, if the finish is abraded, don't you think the constant abrading will eventually wear out a second or third coat of finish, regardless of where the finish ends? Is that truly the standard to use when determining if finish should remain only on the wrap, or overlap to the blank?

I'm pretty rough with my rods, even with my vintage GLoomis (pre-pre-Shimano). Just sitting in the rod racks on my boat going up and down the rivers, getting banged about by rough water, can create wear on the finish. Consequently, every winter, in preparation for hard-core rod building, I'll lightly sand and refinish the wraps on a rod or two in my "collection".

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 01/30/2009 08:17PM by Patrick Vernacchio.

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: January 30, 2009 09:23PM

Personally, I think that over the edge is good protection to avoid water "creeping" under the edge of the thread. I have seen this happen pretty often. If finish doesn't go on to the blank enought to ensure a good seal, the flexing of a rod CAN cause the edge to pull away and allow moisture to get in and cause problems. Not saying that it will but it can. Ounce of prvention........................

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.150.popsite.net)
Date: January 30, 2009 11:53PM

Listen to mike he has it nailed. water can and will get under threads and with the finish onto the blank with a clean edge is best to stop this

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Joe McKishen (---.cmdnnj.east.verizon.net)
Date: January 31, 2009 09:48AM

I have to agree with Mike above, most of the rods I build see saltwater use, so I make every possible effort to seal both the threads and guides as well as possible. I've seen some rods come in for repair that appear to have been completely coated with finish, tip to handle.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster