I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

WRAP LENGTH BEYOND GUIDE FOOT
Posted by: Bill Davidor (---.dsl.renocs.sbcglobal.net)
Date: January 29, 2009 06:58PM

Are there any guidelines or "rules of thumb" for the distance from the end of the wrap to the foot.
If so are the guidelines the same for guides with a single foot for freshwater rods and for guides with two feet for saltwater rods.
The only guideline I have seen is page 224 in Advanced Custom Rod Building by D. Clemens. Are there any others?
Thanks in advance,
Bill

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: WRAP LENGTH BEYOND GUIDE FOOT
Posted by: Raymond Adams (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: January 29, 2009 08:17PM

The only guideline or concerns are weight vs astetics. Ya don't need thread beyond holding the guide in place but if ya want to have the color there and a small amount of extra weight (mostly from the finish) isn't an issue make the wraps as long as you like.

Raymond Adams
Eventually, all things merge, and a river runs through it..

Posted by: mike harris (---.unknown.charter.com)
Date: January 29, 2009 09:56PM

I like to keep it down to 2 or 3 wraps before the guide foot, but this is much more difficult to do than having a long lead in to the guide foot. It is just a matter of what you think looks best.

Posted by: Sean Cheaney (---.cfl.res.rr.com)
Date: January 29, 2009 11:10PM

1/8-1/4" depending on where I am on the blank.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.248.66.56.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: January 30, 2009 12:31AM

The whole idea is to have the least amount of thread on a blank - the less thread - the less finish -- the less weight. A better performing rod. If you can lock you thread in at 2-3 turns before the foot and then go onto the foot the better.

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: matthew jacobs (---.183.117.75.dynamic.ip.windstream.net)
Date: January 30, 2009 08:50AM

I try to go as short as I can make it. Less time and weight .

Posted by: Vern Metcalf Jr (---.mn.warpdriveonline.com)
Date: January 30, 2009 10:12AM

After yoiu get used to it, yoiu can tell pretty much just by looking at it, Look at factory rods and yiou can just get a feel for it.

Posted by: Bill Burkett (---.prod-infinitum.com.mx)
Date: January 30, 2009 10:34AM

Fly rods, ultralights etc - keep them short. Offshore trolling rods etc. - go wild!!!

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: January 30, 2009 11:12AM

I keep mine short, only about 2mm beyond the edge of the guide foot.

Posted by: Mark Pearson (---.apacn.com)
Date: January 30, 2009 12:58PM

For the rods I build I keep it at 1/8" including the trim wrap. Just remember that smaller guides need less infront of the foot. If it's too long it doesn't look right. As well it adds extra weight.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster