I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

suggestions for casting rod blank [ St Croix ]
Posted by: Ken Blevins (---.we.res.rr.com)
Date: January 29, 2009 02:46PM

I’m still looking to build the best 7 foot [6-6] casting rod possible. I've built several that I can cast a long ways but I always want more. I rarely use heavier than 12lb test and most of the cranks I throw is from 1/4 to 5/8 ... I have never built a St Croix blank and was leaning in that direction. Any suggestions would be appreciated
thanks for your time
Ken Blevins

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: suggestions for casting rod blank [ St Croix ]
Posted by: Steve Bro (---.automatededm.com)
Date: January 29, 2009 03:00PM

Ken,

I have been building on the SC!V SC68MXF, it has a very fast tip, light weight, and customers love the Cobalt Blue look. I have built on most of the SC!V blanks with the X-fast tip and all of them have been great rods.

Best of Luck,
Steve

Steve Bro
(BroCo Custom Rods)

Posted by: Joe Vanfossen (---.51.144.216.nls.net)
Date: January 29, 2009 03:07PM

Ken,

Are you looking for a crankbait blank? What are you wanting more of distance, feel, power, or something else?

Joe

Date: January 29, 2009 03:07PM

Oops double post.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/29/2009 03:07PM by Joe Vanfossen.

Date: January 29, 2009 03:27PM

I guess what I'm looking for is in a crankbait rod [spinnerbait ]-Blank weight is a consideration , medium or moderate power ..I seem to jerk the bait outta the fishs mouth when i'm fishing with a medium heavy - fast tip blank.
Anyway - thanks for your time
Ken

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.ptld.qwest.net)
Date: January 29, 2009 03:32PM

Go to an 8 ft 3 or 4 power popping rod blank like the Rainshadows. Myself, I'd use the 4 power, unless you're throwing a lot of the lighter stuff.

Date: January 29, 2009 04:03PM

I have a Rainshadow RX7 CB66M, 1/4-5/8oz, medium power moderate action rod that I recently built for crankbaits. It seems like a great blank at a very nice price, but I'm 5 or 6 months from being able to give an informed opinion on it. They also have a 7 footer as well.

There were a couple great threads on crankbait blanks and their properties with lot of recommendations not that long ago, try a search for crankbait in the last 30 days.

Joe

Posted by: Michael Ortega (---.va.neustar.com)
Date: January 29, 2009 04:23PM

I'll say look at the CTS Elite Spin Tournament series, model 7'0" 4-6kg. Awesome blanks with no fiberglass and a perfect parabolic action.

Posted by: Lance Dupre (---.hsd1.la.comcast.net)
Date: January 29, 2009 06:29PM

If you're pulling the bait away from the fish with a fast action blank you definately want to stay away from an extra fast blank. Start looking for a moderate to moderate fast blank for the type of fishing you're doing.

Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: January 29, 2009 07:45PM

Please take a careful look at recent threads on this board - detailed information on being a cranker!

There is so much information on these theads that it may make you the CRANKY one

Really good stuff for custom builders to file away and use with their customers!

[rodbuilding.org]

and

[rodbuilding.org]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/29/2009 07:52PM by Bill Stevens.

Posted by: Andrew White (---.ks.ks.cox.net)
Date: January 30, 2009 06:25PM

In the St. Croix line, the blanks you're looking for are the 3C70MHM, or 4C in that same model. There's also a 3C70MM. The 3C models are gray pearl (sort of a generic gray gloss), and the 4C models are cobalt blue. I think all the following blanks can be had in either the 3C or 4C.

3C66MM and 3C70MM: The MM is more like a medium-light moderate, rather than the advertised medium-moderate. I use a 3C66MM as a light crankbait rod (i.e. 3/16 to 3/8). I throw wiggle warts, the smaller fat-free shads, and a variety of smaller bomber baits. It's also a great rod to use for smaller top-waters, like Pop-Rs, etc. I've landed fish up to 7 lbs. on this rod, but if you have much cover to fish around, you'll lose lots of fish--use the 3C66MHM around cover. A bigger fish (i.e. over 3 lbs. will bend this rod double, and you'll have to play her for a long time.

3C66MHM and 3C70MHM: I use the 3C66MHM for a spinnerbait/mid-size crank/trap rod (i.e. 5/16 to 1/2), and the 3C70MHM for a DD22 rod (5/16 to 5/8). My spinnerbaits are usually 3/8 or 1/2, and my traps are 1/2 or 3/4. The 7' rod gives a little more casting distance (and a bit less accuracy) which is why I use it for the DD22s. If I could have only one of these blanks, I would give the nod to the 3C66MHM, as it can fish the lighter stuff, if need be, but it does have a fair bit of butt power for dealing with bigger fish and throwing the bigger baits.

If you're a truly dedicated BIG CRANK fisherman, then I've heard the 3C70HM is nice also. For my taste, the MHM is as powerful as I'll ever need. And, the really nice part about these three rods is that they extend well below and above their factory ratings, so that you can mix and match baits as you please.

Posted by: Thomas Kaufmann (---.t1.cavtel.net)
Date: January 30, 2009 10:42PM

I agree with Andrew, I have the 3c66mhm that I use for spinnerbaits (although I have a couple popping blanks in the work for comparison). I typically use a 3c66mf when in heavier milfoil (minnetonka) I do find if I miss a fish with this that i can pick up the 3c66mhm and I will no longer miss any more fish. I also have a CTS that I got from Andy Dear that is by far my FAVORITE for 3/8 baits. It is the lightest of the group and definately the most sensitive. I will have to check when I get home from work for the model #. For cranks, I have a Loomis 783 cranker that isn't too bad...is pretty light though but most typically fish most of my cranks on the 3c70mhm or the 3c66mhm (I like the 66 better as well).

Date: January 31, 2009 11:35AM

Thanks for all of the suggestions .I ordered a 3C70MM st Croix Fri. morning from mud hole .I also went ahead and ordered a Loomis CB 843 so I will build both and see which works the best for me. Being able to build whichever rod I want, when I want it, and how I want it, is the very best thing about rod building. The amount of help I've received form this site has been great.
Thanks for your time
Ken Blevins

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster