I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Leader Knots vs Small Guides
Posted by: Tom Slater (---.qld.bigpond.net.au)
Date: January 29, 2009 06:23AM

hey guys

a little question,

at the moment when building my UL spinning rods for bream spinning over here in AUS i use size 6 running guides in the NGC setup

what im wadering is could i go lower and still pass maybe a 10lb leader knot with say a size 5 guide?

and are the new LBD guides better for passing knots since they are on an angle? therefore a bigger opening?

and if anyone has any opinions on T Russel blanks thatd be good

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Leader Knots vs Small Guides
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: January 29, 2009 08:20AM

The fact is, you're the only one that can make that determination. None of us can tie your knot - you're the one that needs to do that testing.

Buy some of the more inexpensive running guides in those smaller sizes and try them. You'll quickly learn how small you can go with your particular line and knot.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/29/2009 08:56AM by Tom Kirkman.

Date: January 29, 2009 08:48AM

yeah i thought that would be the best option

still,

anyone have an opinion on if the LBD guides pass knots better than the TLSG?

does the angled frame make a difference?

Posted by: Sean Cheaney (---.cfl.res.rr.com)
Date: January 29, 2009 09:47AM

I never go lower than size 6 running guides unless its a 2-6# rod, because at some point inevitably I will change the reel or line.

A 5 SHOULD pass a well tied knot in 10#, but a 6 will pass a 12# knot fairly easily, so that is why I stay with the 6s.

Posted by: matthew jacobs (---.183.117.75.dynamic.ip.windstream.net)
Date: January 29, 2009 10:36AM

I picked up some 3.5s at Mudhole for a micro rod for a spinning rod I'm building. I hope I don't run into the same problem, using 8# Sufix Performance Braid.

Posted by: Marty Martin (---.gsp.bellsouth.net)
Date: January 29, 2009 11:03AM

My son has a rod that throws 4-6 mono fine and it uses size 3 guides. I'm guessing the knot is the issue. I can't imagine 8lb braid wouldn't pass through tiny guides.

Posted by: David Wyatt (---.dsl.netins.net)
Date: January 29, 2009 11:06AM

Using a double uni knot for leader attachment works well and is very small.

Posted by: George Forster (71.237.22.---)
Date: January 29, 2009 11:38AM

Passing the knot when it is not under load (casting) is one thing. What have your experiences been trying to pass the knot when fighting a fish? What happens, for instance, if you have the fish up to the boat, ready to try to net it, and it suddenly makes a run under the boat? Does the knot hang up on the smaller guides?

Posted by: Eric Viburs (---.gc.usar.army.mil)
Date: January 29, 2009 12:02PM

If there is an issue you can always apply a VERY small about of UV Knot Sense to the knot to form a bit of a 'ramp' if you will. I will do this with my fly leaders as I normally tie my own and blood knoting 25lb mono can cause a larger knot. I know this does not fix your problem but it you run into an issue onece it is built give it a try.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.250.111.206.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: January 29, 2009 12:27PM

See if you can get the American Tackle Titanium guides with a Fuji Ti tip top. American tackle doe not make a titanium top as yet. if your knots fit the #6's stay with them. No muss no fuss

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Ted Morgan (---.tpgi.com.au)
Date: January 29, 2009 08:23PM

Tom, I will shortly be trialling a pair of rods with smaller Alconites. Identical rods, identical reels, running braid and leaders up to 20 lb. Intend to do casting tests, load, the whole 9, and hopefully get some fish while I'm at it too.

Posted by: Ben Hurlstone (---.perm.iinet.net.au)
Date: January 29, 2009 08:41PM

the other thing to consider is wear on the knot itself. if its casuing some friction and getting hung up a bit by that knot the quality of the knot will degrade.
i dare say going below 6 for a 10lb leader knot wont be as good, still doesnt hurt to try before you wrap.
ive also wondered about the angled guides to as you see some off the shelf rods with them on now days

Date: January 29, 2009 10:45PM

10lb will be max

mainly itll be passing 6 and 4lb leader knots but i upsize to 8 or 10 if i decide i need to

anyone got any opionions on LBD guides?

Posted by: Rohit Lal (---.riv12.nsw.optusnet.com.au)
Date: January 30, 2009 06:16AM

I use size 5 running guides on UL bream rods for myself but I use an albright. The LBD's will help more with hangups

Posted by: Terry Turner (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: February 01, 2009 11:00PM

Just remember that an angled frame will reduce the size of the opening presented to the knot, not make it larger.

Sight throught the guide with your eye and the ring is perpendicular to your eye. Pick a dot or an object that is slightly smaller than the guide. Now angle the guide as it would be on your rod and you'll see the size of the opening is reduced.

It's the same issue on tip tops for fly rods. I tend to use an oversize loop guide for the tip to use a larger opening which compensates for the angle of the tip guide.

Terry

Posted by: Ted Morgan (---.tpgi.com.au)
Date: February 02, 2009 04:51AM

Ben brings up a very good point on shock wear of the knot itself when casting. I have occasionally suffered the indignation of a crackoff and watched $$$'s sail off into thin air.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster