I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

6t stripping guides
Posted by: Gavin Schar (---.cache.isnet.net)
Date: January 29, 2009 03:29AM

Anyone know who stocks high quality 6mm stripping guides for a sage txl build?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: 6t stripping guides
Posted by: Cody Vickers (---.dsl.ltrkar.sbcglobal.net)
Date: January 29, 2009 07:43AM

use a #6 casting guide if you want double foot, otherwise pick out a concept style guide or spinning guide. Not sure who keeps them I could probably have found a black one but I had to go with a 7 or 8 because I wanted either a gold frame or gold ring. Check with bingham enterprises or mud hole or Custom Tackle. Nowhere I checked had them in stock in gold, and this was on Monday. I found them in black several places though. Best to just call around and see who has what you want in stock.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/29/2009 07:45AM by Cody Vickers.

Posted by: Gavin Schar (---.cache.isnet.net)
Date: January 29, 2009 08:37AM

thanks Cody.

Date: January 29, 2009 09:17AM

No problem. I just ordered a TXL 00wt blank and everything to set it up. What kind of grip and seat are you using? Or do you turn your own grips? I don't have the equipment to turn them so I went with an REC flor grade cigar style grip because it is not like most cigar style grips, it looks like a cross between a cigar grip and a half wells or a cigar grip with a flared butt section and looks beautiful. Also I am using gold single foot guides size 2/0 to 1, a gold downlocking sliding ring seat with black ash burl insert and a TICH frame stripper with a gold insert. I haven't decided on my wrap colors yet though, I think I am going to use olive green gudebrod size a and a dark greenish gold colored madeira thread that I have. I have used the combination on a couple of rods and it has always looked really nice.

Posted by: Gavin Schar (---.telkom-ipnet.co.za)
Date: January 29, 2009 03:15PM

Hey Cody, sounds like the rod will look stellar once finished!

I have not finally decided what thread combo's etc I'll use on my 000wt but am thinking of just using the tan 290 used by sage (boring I know). I turn my own grips and am always on the prowl for the highest quality cork available, but finding it is really difficult these days. In the circumstances my rods sometimes take months to finish while I am waiting for suppliers cork reserves to build up so that they can send me the very best they have. During this time I change my mind a hundred times about the thread colours I'll use. I tend to allow the blank colour to bleed into the wraps and dont use cp. It therefore makes most sense for me to use thread that will take one a colour very close the blank colour when expoxied. - hence going with the tan wrap on teh golden olive blank. I prefer the look of snake quides on my blanks and use lite wire snakes on all my blanks under 4wt. For reel seat I am probably going to use a U25. I am quite keen to use just teh hardware and turn a cork insert for the 3/0. Would be interesting to see what the difference in weight is!

Date: January 29, 2009 05:33PM

Yeah, I considered a cork insert and was settled on it until I saw a nice black ash burl seat up close, Now I just gotta have it. If it is a little heavy this time, Oh well it will be on the right end anyway.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.ptld.qwest.net)
Date: January 29, 2009 08:16PM

Sage uses Hopkins & Holloway guides, Angler's Workshop carries them.

Posted by: Gavin Schar (---.telkom-ipnet.co.za)
Date: January 30, 2009 12:38AM

cody I used a black ash burl from bellinger on my 3wt burkheimer - its is a beautiful piece of wood!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster