I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

27x are we over fitting with our guide location rules
Posted by: Jay Weissler (---.chcgilgm.dynamic.covad.net)
Date: January 27, 2009 09:40PM

It makes sense to me to set guides based on the reel we use, if we expect to use the same reel over time or if we only want to use the rod during the life of the reel.

but most of my rods out live my reels or sometimes I switch reels on the same rod for different conditions. The guides will no longer be optimum and could be way off if reel design changes over time, etc.

could we be better off using some average reel diameters to place the guides? Is there anyway to get those averages? Do the big rod factories do this?

thanks for considering this

JayW

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: 27x are we over fitting with our guide location rules
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: January 27, 2009 09:47PM

You're free to do anything you want. Generally, a specific rod is built for a relatively specific size reel. That's what custom building is all about - dialing things in to specific use, size, user, etc. So unless you switch to a vastly different sized reel (one that is likely all out of proportion to the rod), your guides aren't going to be way off just by switching reels.

If you wanted, you could obtain an average by selecting the size reel you normally use on a specific rod, then visiting your local fishing shop and measuring the spool diameter of all the reels in that general size range.

Posted by: Steve Kartalia (---.sub-75-198-144.myvzw.com)
Date: January 28, 2009 09:08AM

Think of it this way Jay. Every rod has some optimum performance based on the reel, line rating and type, lure wt., person casting the rod, etc., and by definition every other combination of those things is going to be somewhere less than that optimal performance. But in the real fishing world, you can't dwell on just the optimal, you have to consider a range of conditions you want that rod to perform well under. So just design your rod accordingly. Your idea of taking average spool sizes is one way to do that. It would be the rare fisherman who always used the exact same reel, lure, and line on a particular rod, unless you're a pro tournament fisherman and only fish with 30 pre-rigged rods in the boat.

Posted by: Marc Morrone (---.dsl.airstreamcomm.net)
Date: January 28, 2009 10:00AM

Jay - what you are asking is how I build all the time. My guide sizes/spacing for a rod are based on the average size reel and heaviest line I expect to be used on the rod.

Optimum design is great, but I guess I'm just too practical. When I make 50 casts on my measured test cast field, and difference between the casting distance of an "optimum" layout and "good average" guide layout is generally 5-8 feet, it's not worth sweating.

Posted by: les cline (---.dsl.kscymo.swbell.net)
Date: January 30, 2009 07:29PM

On a somewhat humorous note...

I built a friend an sc68mxf as a spinning rod for casting jigs to smallmouth bass. To my amazement he strapped on the equivalent of a 4000 size reel with 15 pound line, tied on a 3/8ths jig and let her rip. That jig sailed out there a good long ways and he whistled as it hit the water.

"Man! This rod casts a mile!" he said.

I said if he was impressed with the rod now, he should try it out later with a 2000 to 2500 size reel, some braid or 10 pound line and then see what happens. Hehe...he hasn't seen anything yet.

So, my little moral is: a rod set up with basic principles of good design in place, like 27x, is going to make a very good-casting rod even if it might do better with the 'perfect' reel.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster