I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Fighting Butts
Posted by: Scott-Chick (---.client.mchsi.com)
Date: January 27, 2009 09:25PM

I am new to rod building and am getting started on only my second rod a 9ft 4 pc.9wt fly rod. However in looking on line and through the catalogs I have,(Janns Netcraft, American Tackle, and Mud Hole) I cant seem to find removable fighting butt parts to create my own. Could someone please point me in the right direction for parts and maybe some idea of what is involved.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Fighting Butts
Posted by: Robert Balcombe (---.jax.centurytel.net)
Date: January 27, 2009 10:13PM

check out Anglers Workshop or give Todd Vivian a call at Mud Hole
Good Wraps bob

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: January 28, 2009 08:58AM

You'd have to look at the seat manufacturer's catalogs or websites to see what they offer along those lines. Most fighting butt "kits" come with everything to make that particular butt. You can buy one, toss the insert or cork and make one of your own. Or you can work from scratch. We've done a few articles in RodMaker on scratch making fighting butts.

Posted by: Charlie Smoote (---.pn.at.cox.net)
Date: January 28, 2009 09:10AM

I'm confused here(Again; still)

I see 'fighting butts' described which are merely butt extensions to get the reel out a bit to aid in reeling. We used to call them 'belly butts'

The fighting butts that I'm used to were a long piece of stock that extended inside the blank.

It was removed for casting,but when a fish was hooked, it was pushed up inside the rod butt to make it more rigid. It was used for fighting BIG! fish.

It may be obsolete like me. Please advise.

Date: January 28, 2009 09:26AM

Both. Nowadays, many fly reel seats can be purchased with removable fighting butts that extend the butt of the rod by about 2 inches, sometimes 4 inches depending on model.

Posted by: Steve Bro (---.automatededm.com)
Date: January 28, 2009 10:23AM

Try Wild River distributing, they have detachable fighting butts and they are good people to work with.

Date: January 28, 2009 10:38AM

There is a long list of sponsors to the left that also have detachable fighting butts and who are equally good people to work with. And... they help foot the bills here with their sponsor fees. I would hope folks that use and benefit from this forum and its many related resources will give the sponsors first shot at their business.

Posted by: Steve Rushing (205.161.8.---)
Date: January 28, 2009 11:20AM

FWIW, I build by fighting butts on the blank. One last thing for me to lose.

Posted by: Charlie Smoote (---.pn.at.cox.net)
Date: January 28, 2009 11:54AM

I may have asked the question wrongly but I'm talking about a long piece of stock which probably extended the length by a few inches, but actually extended up inside the rod blank to stiffen and strengthen it. The rod butt was open for casting but when a fish was on, you jammed this long piece of stock inside the blank.

The reason for asking is that I have an old saltwater flyrod used for tarpon and sharks that is built this way. This piece is perhaps 6 inches long. Maybe I should go fishing. C2

Date: January 28, 2009 11:57AM

You can certainly make one like that. Nothing wrong with it.

Posted by: Walt Natzke (12.22.21.---)
Date: January 28, 2009 03:29PM

Hi Scott,

I was confused the first time I purchased a fly rod fighting butt too. Mudhole carries what you want, and if you follow the link below you will go to the page that lists them.
What is not explained is that the small extension you see on the butt is a sleeve that the fighting butt stem is threaded into. If you order the butt, you also get the sleeve you need to install it.

[www.mudhole.com]

You may also want to purchase the fighting butt cap for when you use the rod without the butt attached.

Hope that helps,

Walt

Posted by: Gary Colling (---.fibrewired.on.ca)
Date: January 28, 2009 04:00PM

[www.rodbuilding.org]

I don't know if you can get these any more, but this fighting but is integral to the reel seel. Turn the but cap and it unlock, slide the fighting but out, turn again and it locks into place.

Posted by: Scott-Chick (63.77.139.---)
Date: January 28, 2009 05:19PM

Thank you everyone but I believe I asked the wrong question. I am trying to find the insert and the plug to attach my own cork to to create a fighting butt. I am trying to get away from a store bought "generac' style butt.

Posted by: Walt Natzke (12.22.21.---)
Date: January 28, 2009 06:53PM

Yep, wrong question.

Joe at Black Dog Tackle carries those.

Link in the Sponsor's list or click here:
[www.blackdogtackle.com]

Walt

Posted by: Michael A Taylor (---.ec.res.rr.com)
Date: January 28, 2009 07:00PM

Scott-Chick

The first thing you must remember when designing a fighting butt is it is only another ferrule. It is not any different than the ferrules used to connect the sections of the rod together. To make one is simple.
Build the rod as normal and don't worry about the fighting butt until you have finished everything else. Take a piece of hardwood doweling and taper it so that you have a nice tight fit inside of the butt of the rod blank. Cut the doweling so that you can bond corks, eva or what ever you decide on to the end protruding from butt section. Size and shape to your liking. Done. If you want a removable one leave as is if you prefer non-removable just bond in place.

PS I use graphite golf shafts to do mine, but the doweling is available at any hardware store.

Posted by: Scott-Chick (---.client.mchsi.com)
Date: January 28, 2009 08:27PM

Thank you very much for that incredible tip.

Posted by: Robert Hively (---.docsis.hbci.com)
Date: January 30, 2009 03:27AM

Long ago I responded to similar question the same way I am responding tothis one.

The best fighting butt reel seats made were an independent brand picked up by Cortland, maybe 15 years ago now.

Machined, anodized aluminum, used to be offered in various colors besides brushed and polished aluminum, with SCREW-IN rubber button bottomed fighting butts ranging 1-inch (with added 1-inch rubber button); 2" you add cork; 4-inch, you add cork.

Some good stuff out there, but none compare to these reel-seat, grip combos.

Easy enough to go to Cortland site and review...outside of these for appropriate rods, only seats I now use are graphite, usually Fuji.

Hive

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster