I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Blank Recommendation for Worm Rod - Texas Rig?
Posted by: Bert Nagy (---.asm.bellsouth.net)
Date: January 26, 2009 08:00AM

Good Morning All,

I would like to build a worm rod for throwing Texas Rig plastic worms. The weights that I usually throw are 3/16 to 3/8 oz. I am looking for a blank with a lot of power as I fish Lake Guntersville a lot, and it is very weedy. For worms, I prefer a 6' 6" rod.

I currently have an American Rodsmiths Titanium factory rod, and an old All Star IM-6 WR-1 Both have been good rods, but I want to build a spiral wrapped rod with microguides. . These are the last 2 factory rods that I use. Everything else has been replaced with a rod that I have built

I would appreciate any blank recommendations

Thanks
Bert

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Blank Recommendation for Worm Rod - Texas Rig?
Posted by: Ellis Mendiola (---.dsl.hstntx.swbell.net)
Date: January 26, 2009 08:31AM

Morning Bert. I would contact Lance at Swampland Tackle. He can recommend a rod blank and also carries the micro guides I believe. Good folks to do business with and very well informed.

Posted by: justin keithley (---.dhcp.aldl.mi.charter.com)
Date: January 26, 2009 08:43AM

batson Rx7 IMB 783 is what i use in a 6'6". turned out to be my favorite rod. i will fish down to a 1/4oz t-rig and up to 5/8ths on it comfortably. If you are heavier that that i would go up to a imb843, but i think a 784/844 would be too heavy.

Regards,
-Justin

Posted by: Alex Dziengielewski (---.scana.com)
Date: January 26, 2009 09:28AM

Don't forget the weight of the worm as well. You may throw 3/8 sinker, but the worm and hook add weight as well.

-----------------
AD

Posted by: justin keithley (---.dhcp.aldl.mi.charter.com)
Date: January 26, 2009 11:26AM

Good point alex.
I throw everything from a 3" smallie beaver on a light-wire 2/0 to a 10" worm on a 6/0 wide gap hook on the 783 and find it to be suitable for anything in that range. That said - i'm fishing natural lakes with weed edges as the primary cover in 7-15' of water also - so relatively open. I can see where a little more power might be needed when fishing around timber or rock, but i think the 783 could handle it fine. When using a 1/2oz or higher, i'm typically pitching in tight or heavy cover and step up to a rod better suited for that technique.

Regards,
-Justin

Posted by: Marc Morrone (---.dsl.airstreamcomm.net)
Date: January 26, 2009 12:30PM

American Tackle's 783 Mag Bass Matrix blanks are awesome worm rods, with a nice blend of fell and power - and gorgeous when built with a split grip.

I would highly recomend a close look at them.

Good Luck - Marc

Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: January 26, 2009 01:20PM

There are several available choices in the Castaway XP3 line - most popular in the range you describe is:

Castaway Multi Modulus MB784

Light weight and durable -

6'6" Length Line # 8 - 17 Lure Oz. - 3/16 - 3/4
PWR - Med

Butt Dia. - 0.539
Tip - 6.0
Wt. Oz. - 1.7

If you are interested in a micro build with fully exposed seats please contact us for details .

There are several other options with slightly different characteristics that may be considered.

For more information please use the contact us button for personal contact.

[www.swamplandtackle.com]

Posted by: Adam Harbuck (---.shv.bellsouth.net)
Date: January 26, 2009 02:56PM

St. Croix SCIII 6'6" MHF, AWESOME worm rod. Sensitive as all get out for light worms, but beefy enough for fishing a jig in heavy cover. It is the rod of choice for Toledo Bend, Sam Rayborn, or Lake Fork Texas. I can't say enough about them. I have built two for fishing buddies, and have two blanks here that I am building up for myself. They are more costly than many 6'6" bass blanks at about $100, but are on par with the $150+ Loomis blanks.

Posted by: Duane Richards (---.rn.hr.cox.net)
Date: January 26, 2009 03:21PM

Adam,

I just finished one of those and I have to agree that it's one really nice blank no question about it. Surprised me how nice it was since the change SC made to the SCIII

DR

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (65.197.242.---)
Date: January 26, 2009 05:45PM

The 4 power Lamiglas blanks are also nice worm rods.

Posted by: Bert Nagy (---.asm.bellsouth.net)
Date: January 27, 2009 07:42AM

Thanks for all the replies. I appreciate the input and help that this forum provides.

I look forward to meeting everyone in February!

Bert Nagy

Posted by: Adam Harbuck (---.shv.bellsouth.net)
Date: January 27, 2009 09:31AM

DR,
I just wish the price would go down with the revamp of the Ct Croix line-up, but no such luck!
Adam

Posted by: Alex Dziengielewski (---.scana.com)
Date: January 27, 2009 09:33AM

If you are going to the ICRBE.... I'd wait to buy a blank until then or after. You'll be able to put your hands on most of the blanks mentioned above. References are great, but nothing is the same as hands on.

There will be some really great values to be had out there too.

-----------------
AD

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster