I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

The NERBs Mass Gathering - THANKS!!
Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.nycmny.east.verizon.net)
Date: January 25, 2009 08:50AM

I'd like to thank everyone who came out yesterday and had a GREAT time learning the details on the more advanced aspects of the craft. Rich Schwarz covered pouring foam core and carbon skinned grips for heavy SW rods. A side effect of that was a possible use for the heavier foam in FW applications where the 8# foam just isn't strong enough. There was a thorough pesentation which lasted abotu 2 hours on various grip inlay techniques - Herringbones, ellipticals, trim rings, and image inlays. Thanks to PAul Rimbeck for his detailed explanataions and tools which made the process more precise.

We also got some samples of, and saw teh test results of a new CP "Kenny Mac" has been working on. IT retains color as well as any CP out there, past or present - and we all saw the color sticks to prove it - with CP's thread sitting next to bare thread, there is absolutely no diffrence at all and you cannot tell which one is bare and which one has CP. REsults for MAdiera and Gudebrod Nylon were 100% identical, Kenny formulated a winner that's for sure.

WE also did some VisualWRap, VisualWeave, and answerred many questions people had on otehr aspects of the craft. The rods people brought were AMAZING, there was an unbelieveable amount of talented builders yesterday, each one was really cool and willing to share and learn - which is what makes these gatherings so succesful.

Special thanks goes to MIke J for the use of his house. See you in a few weeks down in NC, cant' wait to see what you being down wiht you.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: The NERBs Mass Gathering - THANKS!!
Posted by: Michael Joyce (---.hsd1.nh.comcast.net)
Date: January 25, 2009 09:55AM

Always a good time Billy...thanks for cleaning up and not leaving the dog in the snow.

The display of custom work for this gathering was unbeleivable. Sean Endres wraps seen in person ...priceless, photos do no justice. A late arrival (I'm not good with names) had 2 rods he wrapped in 1985 with cord grips and turks head knots...his guide wraps and crosswraps very innovative and clean. Stan Mcleans spinning handle was even more comfortable than his last version...cant help but think that Tomo is the next Hiro Tanaka. I could go on and on.

EVA foam blocks and strips all scattered about with your amazing inlays in the center...I'd bet theres going to be some purchases of band saws and Jet Lathes in the future for some of the attendees.

Thanks to all who shared and sparking my interest again....I got a date with a band saw and some new thread, and a weaving program...later.

MJ

NERB that types with a bar of Ivory soap in his mouth.

Date: January 25, 2009 12:04PM

Lucky the dog was so impressed with TOm Costa's elliptical EVA inlays, he ate one of them, lol. Lucky also ate a sock, blank, shirt, and went rampage on a pillow.

Posted by: Rich Schwarz (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: January 25, 2009 01:52PM

Thanks to our hosts, Billy & Mike - Had a great time as always and saw some incredible work. Looking forward to seeing everyone in High Point!

Rich

Posted by: Ken MacNeilly (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: January 25, 2009 07:10PM

Great time yesterday. seeing all the great work in person is priceless. Lots of learning going on for me!! I hope I helped a little too.

Posted by: Sean Endres (---.cpe.metrocast.net)
Date: January 26, 2009 01:22AM

Great time yesterday as always!!! Thanks to Mike for hosting, Billy for putting these things together. I have been to a bunch of these gatherings over the last few years, and I always learn something new.

Sean Endres
North East Rod Builders
New London, CT

Posted by: stan mclean (---.hsd1.nh.comcast.net)
Date: January 26, 2009 08:42AM

Great time, great host. Lots of knowledge being shared. Thanks again.

Date: January 26, 2009 09:25AM

Teh barebackman, lol. Stan, was great seeing you again adn the NEW bareback handle. I can't wait to see if you are able to get teh new material to work out, that would be perfect. IF you happen to get it to work, you might be able to make a mold of some sort so you never have to hand shape it again.

Posted by: Michael Joyce (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: January 26, 2009 01:39PM

Stan....."if you build it , they will come"....(Field of Dreams).

Billy, according to my son, its called "Rapid Fire" not "Rampage" as you stated....and the high maintenace puggle will be in a kennel next gathering doing God knows what? I dont care.
Thanks for the foam blocks...I'm currently working on a split egyptian elliptical with crosses combined with a Macro flared inlay...we'll see how it turns out. Im going to need a vent booth...contact cement is strong stuff!

I dont care what people may say about the NERBS....its a cool group of risktakers and enthusiastic builders, young and old..........but I do have a serious issue, Billy, you ganked the cookies that Stan brought and my wife Leah was hoping to destroy when she got home from her NERBS invoked displacement to my inlaws, she was very dissapointed.....BATTLE!!!!

MJ

NERB that types with a bar of Ivory soap in his mouth.

Date: January 26, 2009 01:53PM

THe cookies - I took a bag and left teh plastic tub. I think Paul or Rich was doing a final cleaning and stuck them in teh truck. I just ate one now. Sorry, lol.

I'm working on USPS right now, they denied one claim for a completed rod they broke. I'm gonna get screwed out of a blank which tehy picked up and never entered into tehir system, and I have another package that never got where it should have gone. $600 worth of losses in less than 3 months.

Posted by: Steven Libby (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: January 26, 2009 05:33PM

You guys are really getting around. I noticed mention of your mass gathering on the new england kayak fishing board.

Date: January 26, 2009 06:12PM

THere were 2 guys form teh NE KAyak forum, maybe 3. Slappy & Garbageband (Eric & TOmo), and I think chumslick (not sur ewho that is in real names). ERic had some fantastic rods, adn TOmo is goign to be a great builder in a very short period of time.

Anyone who builds rods should find the time to go to a gathering, seminar, expo show - whatever. TEHre's so much more to these things than nuts and bolts information, I've formed friendships with so many people from these gatehrings, I can't express how much better my life is in general since The NERBs were started by Mike J & myself several years ago.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster