I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Switch vs. Spey
Posted by: Paul McRoberts (---.org)
Date: January 22, 2009 03:28PM

I've been intrigued to build one of these rods but have not done a lot of research. On the surface, they appear very similar. What are the major differences between the two styles? What makes a switch a switch and a spey a spey?

Thanks,
Paul

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Switch vs. Spey
Posted by: Karry Batson (---.olympus.net)
Date: January 22, 2009 04:25PM

Switch rods can be easily casted over hand, single handed, with normal fly lines. Spey you can not cast single handed unless you have guns like Popeye :) I'm sure more post to follow but I thought I would start with the basic reasoning.

Karry Batson
Batson Enterprises Inc.
Ph: (877) 875-2381
Fax: (360) 683-3579
karry@batsonenterprises.com
www.batsonenterprises.com

Posted by: Bob Meiser (---.dhcp.mdfd.or.charter.com)
Date: January 22, 2009 07:40PM

Paul,

Fly rod families are best defined as either single handed or two handed.

Two handed fly rods offer the caster the assistance of the lower hand, single handed fly rods do not.

Switch rods offer the assistance of the lower hand in line delivery.

For this reason, switch rods fall into the family of two handed fly rods.

Actually any single hand fly rod can perform a change of direction ~ anchor point delivery ... A Spey cast.

A successful Spey cast is simply a matter of executing correct line management with any fly rod, utilizing line systems that will have the correct grain distribution within their tapers to enhance this particular delivery style.

If the caster is performing a Spey cast with a 3 ounce 6' 9" 2 wt single hand fly rod: By basic definition that rod is then a single hand fly rod performing a Spey cast.

... At that point I guess one could call it a "Spey Rod"

Bob Meiser

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/22/2009 07:41PM by Bob Meiser.

Posted by: paul moody (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: January 22, 2009 07:59PM

Paul,

I just went through the same mental exercise, not that I have any great use for the long rod. Most of my fly-fishing is on small streams where normal “dry fly casting” is just about impossible, so I have used roll casts and make do casts that seem very much like the Spey style. To learn more about this style I decided the best way was to use a rod designed for it, and possibly use it for lakes etc.

Anyway, I ended up getting a Batson RAINSHADOW IF1266-4 Spey rod, and am very pleased with this 12 and a half-foot monster. With the 6-weight line, I believe I could manage this one handed for tight situations. The rod flexes well into the middle and I know it will throw great loops. If it weren’t for the cold and deep snow I would be giving it some real tests. I was a bit worried that the graphite would have too much tip action, but Batson seems to have done a great job in giving this rod a more traditional flex. I have no doubt that their switch group would give you the same. Looks like FUN.

Paul Moody -The world is good-natured to people who are good-natured.
-- William Makepeace Thackeray

Posted by: Pete Sansone (---.hfc.comcastbusiness.net)
Date: January 23, 2009 06:59AM

Hey Paul,
I had read about these long two handed rods and like you became intrugued with them but living in S. Florida I'd never seen one in action. Well about a year and a half ago, I took a trip up to Bremerton Washington to see my son stationed on The USS John Stenis, one of our largerst air craft carriers. While he was on duty one morning I took a ride up to Olympic National Park and saw several guys using Spey rods in the rivers up there. WOW, I had to get me one of those thangs! Long story short, I went home and built a Batson #F1267/8-4 with some help from the guys here. Since I've used it for snook, redfish, baby tarpon, sea trout, and a load of other flats / mangrove critters! What a blast i'm having with it! I must say I get a lot of questions as I said, you don't see to many of them down here. I wish I had built one years ago! Good luck!

Snooker Pete

Posted by: Terry Turner (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: January 23, 2009 09:50AM

You got a lot of good info on the previous answers so I'll probably not add a lot.

I have both a spey rod and a switch rod that I use on the Deschutes and other rivers. The switch rod is in the neighborhood of a 6 weight that is awesome for nymphing for trout, but I can also use easily for summer steelhead in two handed mode as needed. My spey rod is longer and beefier so as Karry said, tougher to use in single handed mode.

You can make spey casts with any rod as Bob describes. The switch rod allows easy changes between methods. It's not so easy to use a long spey rod with a long rear grip for OH casting as easily as a switch.

Terry

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster