I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
New Rod Building Book
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: January 22, 2009 03:16PM

I have been approached by a publisher to pen a totally new rod building book. I have accepted their offer.

With greater editorial control I plan to produce exactly the type rod building book that I wish I'd had when I first started in this craft. It will also give me the opportunity to update a good many techniques and include many of the newer methods and materials that have come down the pike in the last few years.

I plan to follow the instructional type layout that we often use in RodMaker's "How-To" articles. The book will feature both color and B&W photos, and plenty of them.

If all goes as planned, the book will be available for sale in about a year. I don't know what it will sell for just yet, but I'm pushing to keep it below the $25 mark. We'll see.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: New Rod Building Book
Posted by: Jon Sanders (209.106.216.---)
Date: January 22, 2009 03:18PM

That's awesome Tom. I've only got 5 rods under my belt so I'm still a newbie. But your first book helped me tremendously with my first 2 or 3 rods. I can't wait to see the new book! Oh, and this is probably getting a little old, but when is the newest issue of RM going to be mailed out?

~Jon

There is certainly something in angling that tends to produce a serenity of the mind

Posted by: Joe Vanfossen (---.physics.kent.edu)
Date: January 22, 2009 03:21PM

Tom,

It sounds like a great addition, and best of luck with the book! Your first book was a great resource when I started building. I'll be sure to pick up a copy after it hits the press.

Joe

Date: January 22, 2009 03:35PM

The new issue of RodMaker mails tomorrow. Most will have it around the 2nd week of February.

Posted by: David Swiderski (---.dsl.bngr.epix.net)
Date: January 22, 2009 05:47PM

Congrats Tom. Good luck with the project!

Posted by: Barry Thomas Sr (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: January 22, 2009 06:08PM

Good Deal Tom! Will be Waiting Money in Hand!

Posted by: Tony Politi (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: January 22, 2009 07:47PM

Congrats Tom,best of luck on the book.

Tony

Posted by: Raymond Adams (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: January 22, 2009 08:32PM

You can bet I'll have a 1st edition and I'll buy a second for the RodMaker Library Program

Raymond Adams
Eventually, all things merge, and a river runs through it..

Posted by: Rusty Byrley (---.houston-05rh15-16rt.tx.dial-access.att.net)
Date: January 22, 2009 08:48PM

I know that i'm new to this website but congratulations anyhow. I'm hoping for a signed copy when they go on sale.

Posted by: Todd Wymer (---.mia.bellsouth.net)
Date: January 22, 2009 09:00PM

good news for all who build....i cant wait to get my copy

Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: January 22, 2009 09:15PM

Just let me know when and were to place my advanced order.

Posted by: Duane Richards (---.rn.hr.cox.net)
Date: January 22, 2009 09:23PM

Like Steve, I too will be ready to give the new book a read when it's available. Good luck with it and I hope it turns out to be all you want it to be and more.

DR

Posted by: Stan Gregory (---.ec.res.rr.com)
Date: January 22, 2009 11:53PM

Congratulations on the new book we all want. The time is right, just as the time was right when you began ICRBE, RodMaker and this wonderful forum. I know it will be a great success.

Stan

Posted by: Robert Balcombe (---.dyn.centurytel.net)
Date: January 23, 2009 05:35AM

Raymond you may get the first one! But I well have the first one Tom autographs. LOL
Good bwraps Bob

Posted by: Ken Preston (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: January 23, 2009 08:10AM

Sign me up - I'll drive down for the autograph

Posted by: Dennis Danku (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: January 23, 2009 05:55PM

Tom, With all thats new in rodbuilding since the turn of the centry (2000) I dont see how you can fit all of that info into one book for $25.00. I was thinking more in the way of a 26 volume encyclopedia @ $25. a vol. I'm on board for whatever you pen. Good reading, Dennis J. Danku (Sayreville,NJ)

Date: January 23, 2009 07:04PM

That encyclopedia is already available - it's called RodMaker Magazine back issues.

Posted by: Dennis Danku (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: January 23, 2009 08:17PM

Well Tom, If your gonna go stem to stern on rodbuilding in your new book it most likley will be a condensed version of specific topics for advanced builders.
RodMaker hardcover? Just a thought, Dennis J. Danku(Sayreville,NJ)

Posted by: Reggie Finch (---.cpe.cableone.net)
Date: January 23, 2009 09:27PM

My purchased my first and only book in 1985 titled "Fiberglass Rod Building" by Dale P Clemens (third edition). I do have a smal booklet called "Step By Step Rod Building" by Flex Coat which is also helpful. But the rest has been from the "School of Hard Knocks" I'm no pro by no means, but I do enjoy building fishing rods as a hobby. I've said all this to say "CONGRATULATIONS TOM". I too wait for a signed copy.

Posted by: Charlie Smoote (---.pn.at.cox.net)
Date: January 24, 2009 07:13AM

I'm waiting rather impatiently to see how Tom has managed to improve on his first. A hard act to follow IMHO.

I will buy the book when it becomes available. Put me down for a signed copy C2

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster