I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

question for Tom Kirkman
Posted by: Jerry Hirsch (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: January 22, 2009 02:18PM

Hi,
I would like to ask you one question. I am beginer and I am little confused.
In your Rod-Building guide you are explaning the "New Guide Concept" system, how to locate the choke guide.
The intersection between table edge and blank is where i will locate and set up the choke guide.

In Rodmaker magazine you says:
Note the point where the blank inersects with table edge. Set your smallest guide against the blank in the location where it's outer edge just touches the table edge.
That means little lower then the intersection which means it's different then the first explanation.
Could you help me to understand which one is the right one or does it matter ?????

Thank you Jerry

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: question for Tom Kirkman
Posted by: Chad Huderle (---.static.twtelecom.net)
Date: January 22, 2009 02:26PM

Hi Jerry,

This has been a hot topic on the forum lately. The process has evolved somewhat since the material you're refering to was printed. I think it's safe to say that rather than using the table edge method to locate the choker guide(refered to as the intersection guide also...) you'll want to use the 27X method of locating the choker guide. I won't get into details of describing that here. If you scroll down a little on the list of threads I think you'll find the answer you're looking for.

Thanks,
Chad Huderle

Huderle Custom Rods
Prior Lake, MN

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: January 22, 2009 03:06PM

Amato's Rod Building Guide was written quite a few years ago. Since that time, I've updated the process and have what is now a much easier and more straightforward and does not rely upon any intersection point.

Volume 10 #4 RodMaker has the most recent, and probably final installement on the series.

Do this, forget all about your reel's upsweep angle and intersection point. Measure the reel spool diameter across the face, edge to edge. Multiply that by 27 and take the result. Now plot that measurement along the blank starting from where the spool face corresponds to the blank, and at the other end place your choker guide.

Everything else remains the same. You'll use a table, or straightedge or whatever to form a straight line from the lower edge of the spool to the choker guide. Your butt and transition guide/s should touch that line. If you do that, you'll have a nice straight line path from reel to choke guide.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: January 22, 2009 03:35PM

This will also help:

[www.rodbuilding.org]

Posted by: Andy Klosky (---.kwk.clearwire-dns.net)
Date: January 24, 2009 02:22AM

Sorry

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/24/2009 12:35PM by Andy Klosky.

Posted by: Andy Klosky (---.kwk.clearwire-dns.net)
Date: January 26, 2009 01:49AM

This newer method is much easier to get a placement for the choke guide.
The older method referred to in your Amato book, while being for me a bit difficult to align accurately the angle of the spinning reel and the rod while keeping the rod straight, made some visual sense. Could you share the basis for the number 27?
Thanks.
BTW, I have that book. Very helpful at times. I look forward to the new version.

Andy K

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster