I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Can you top this dumb move??
Posted by: Herb Ladenheim (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: January 20, 2009 01:48PM

I am building a two handed rod (some might call it a switch but I would one-hand it rarely) on a 4pc, 10'6" CTS Affinity X #12 blank.

I have the tip-top installed and have the blank in the jig for guide placement. I use neoprene "O" rings that I can slide up and down the blank to determine correct guide placement and number of guides.

Well I am doing this and seem to have way too many rings left over- I started with 11. Wow - this must be an unusual blank to not need the usual quota of guides. You know the blank looks shorter than a 10'6" should look - I guess it is the bend in the blank that mahkes it look shorter. I had better check that I took correct blank out of the box - sure enough the plastic bag says 10'6".

Then I decide tat I had better measure the blank - when I got to 8' I saw that I was about to run out of blank before I got to 10'6".

Then I saw the butt section on the other side of the room.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Can you top this dumb move??
Posted by: Anonymous User (---.ptld.qwest.net)
Date: January 20, 2009 01:55PM

Herb not really anything new just "OLD TIMERS" kicking in, LOL.

Posted by: Bill Moschler (---.hsd1.tn.comcast.net)
Date: January 20, 2009 02:07PM

Hey, if it does not involve cutting off cork, reel seats, or finished guide wraps or ordering a new blank, it is not a "dumb move". Just part of the natural working process.

Posted by: Ken Preston (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: January 20, 2009 02:19PM

I can tell you I've done worse - much worse. Most involved removal of grips; gimbels (crooked); splitting wood inserts while reaming; mixing two of ; the same parts of epoxy and wondering why it didn't cure; installing roller tips upside down; reel seats "backwards" uplocking vs downlocking' ; forgetting to CP one guide wrap out of several. The list is almost endless and most were caused by being tired and therefore less attentive than I should have been.

Posted by: Raymond Adams (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: January 20, 2009 08:39PM

Oh yes, I can & have more than I like to admit. Try leving the locking nut off of the reel
seat & gluing everything up only to notice the next day. Hope I don't do THAT again. lol

Raymond Adams
Eventually, all things merge, and a river runs through it..

Posted by: Robert Russell (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: January 20, 2009 09:31PM

Raymond,
I've done that a few times now. Finish all the guides and then notice the hoods not on it. I have a new system when I'm gluing the seats, I tape the hood on the blank just above the seat so I don't forget.

Robert

Posted by: Raymond Adams (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: January 20, 2009 09:42PM

yea Russell,

Kudo's to the folks @Swampland Tackle! Bill sent out a replacement flocked foregrip.
On their dime too. I'll never forget that ever!

Raymond Adams
Eventually, all things merge, and a river runs through it..

Posted by: Cody Vickers (---.dsl.ltrkar.sbcglobal.net)
Date: January 21, 2009 09:16AM

Yep I can beat it. But I will let you have this one.

Posted by: Mike Thompson (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: January 21, 2009 09:17AM

How about putting the guides on a casting rod 180 degrees off. And this was no spiral wrap. Didnt notice untill after the last coat of finish was dry

Mike Thompson
Thompson's Custom Rods

It is impossible to make anything foolproof, because fools are so ingenious!

Posted by: Mark Pearson (---.apacn.com)
Date: January 21, 2009 01:28PM

Then there's that ever popular using 5-min epoxy as guide finish.....

Posted by: Rusty Byrley (---.houston-05rh15-16rt.tx.dial-access.att.net)
Date: January 21, 2009 08:33PM

Nope, not yet. But I know my day is coming. Its only a matter of time!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster