I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Help with NGC
Posted by: Chris Scurfield (---.sbr12.nsw.optusnet.com.au)
Date: January 19, 2009 06:08AM

Hi All,

Am attempting to build a PUR70H matched to a 3000 size reel and fuji YSG SIC guides with 'new guide cocncept' (have read toms article in the library) and have positioned #8 choker and then # 16 if i go to a #20 after that it will put it jsut shy of 17" the spool i am thinking i should leave the #20 off and run all 8s the rest of the way up or would it be worth trying a #10 choker and then #8's the rest of the way.
I no its really trial and error but just wondering if i have missed something here?

Cheers,
Chris

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Help with NGC
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: January 19, 2009 08:05AM

The choker and running guides should all be the same size.

You are dictating what guides the system must use, instead of allowing the line path to dictate what guides to use.

At any rate, go back and relocate the choker guide by multiplying your spool diameter by 27. Use that distance to locate the choker and start from there.

Posted by: Mike Clements (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: January 19, 2009 08:28AM

Tom

When you multiply the reel spool by 27 is the measurement of the spool in inches or mm.

Thanks, Mike

Posted by: David Wyatt (---.dsl.netins.net)
Date: January 19, 2009 09:17AM

Mike,
It makes no difference. Millimeters is easier to work with because you don't have to deal with fractions of an inch.

Date: January 19, 2009 09:18AM

It doesn't matter. Just take the result and plot that on the blank from the spool face to the choker guide location. 27X is 27X. For instance, 27X by a spool diameter of say, 2 inches, is 54 inches. And, 27X by that same diameter in mm, 50.8mm, is 1371mm (137.1cm or 13.71dm). They both equal the exact same distance.

Posted by: Chad Huderle (---.static.twtelecom.net)
Date: January 19, 2009 09:32AM

Does the term "choker guide" refer to the same guide termed "intersection guide" in the NEW GUIDE CONCEPT PRIMER in the library. Based upon everything I've been trying to learn on the concept I believe it is but I'd just like to verify.

Thanks,

Thanks,
Chad Huderle

Huderle Custom Rods
Prior Lake, MN

Date: January 19, 2009 09:46AM

The are the same, yes. The updated and final version was in the RodMaker Volume 10 #4 issue. The use of the reel spool angle upsweep for the location of the choker guide was far too random. It was a good starting point but wan't based on any actual optimum set ups in the way that the 27X factor is.

Date: January 19, 2009 03:41PM

As always thanks making it all so clear Tom

Date: January 20, 2009 01:38AM

may need some more help on this one tried the 27x and ended up with the choker 1404mm from the spool wich only leaves enough room for 2 guides 5" apart to the tip and 4 step ups behind which doesnt seem right to me, where am i going wrong?

Cheers,
Chris

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/20/2009 01:41AM by Chris Scurfield.

Date: January 20, 2009 08:06AM

It's perfect. The reel and choker guide do not care where the tip is. There is no requirement for any certain number of guides between the choker and the tip. Depending on length, you might have 1 running guide, or you might have 10.

Why do you think something is wrong?

Date: January 20, 2009 03:34PM

most times i have seen guys on here talking about having 9 and wanting to take one off so was throwing me a little.
Do you think i may find a noticable improvement in casting distance from going from a #20 to a #25 stripper, currently have 8tip,8,8,8,10,12,16,20?
Cheers for all your advice.

Chris

Date: January 20, 2009 05:02PM

They were probably working with longer rods.

There is one way to find out - try it with the 20, then swap out and try it with the 25. If you're using light line, or braid, I doubt the 25 will do much for you. With heavier line, 12lb and up, it might.

Date: January 21, 2009 01:17AM

yeah at $20 for the 25 i am a little hesitant if i dont need it, have already made a few costy mistakes on this one. its with braid any way so sound like it should be fine.
Thanks for all the help.

Chris

Posted by: Ted Morgan (---.tpgi.com.au)
Date: January 21, 2009 09:33AM

Chris, you can trim the guide train down a bit by going 20, 12, 8L. The 8L concept frame is, however, exactly the same as the 8 in regular single foot V frame (methinks the Concept one is more exxy mate).

Braid will allow you to use the smaller butt guide, but testing for the location becomes key. For the size spool you plan to use, try a 25. Pick up the model in Hardloy, or Aluminium oxide, or Alconite for testing, then if it shows you need it, then purchase the YSG 25.

Date: January 22, 2009 03:34PM

If you build many rods, you should certainly put together a "test set" of these guides in a less expensive guide ring material. Use those to set your rod up, then order exactly what you need in those more expensive guide types.

One thing that will help you - if you set the system up correctly, you'll see this when sighting down through the butt guide towards the choker guide:

[www.rodbuilding.org]

Date: January 23, 2009 02:57AM

lol i hadnt thought of getting test sets guesse i am still a little impatient cheers guys.

Chris

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster