I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

15' One Piece Graphite Blanks ?
Posted by: Danny Holderfield (---.mannford.ok.mbo.net)
Date: January 17, 2009 07:35PM

I am going to building some 15' one piece graphite blanks in the near future and I was wondering if anyone knew of any options on blanks you can purchase ?

The one I was thinking about is a LamaGlas, does anyone know any other blanks you can get one piece 15' by any chance ?

Danny

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: 15' One Piece Graphite Blanks ?
Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: January 17, 2009 08:01PM

Danny,
How are you going to ship and or transport such a long blank.

I admire your courage, but it sounds like there are lots of issues with such a long one piece blank.

I also don't know what you really gain by having such a long one piece blank, when a two piece blank would be so much more convenient.

Take care
Roger

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: January 17, 2009 09:15PM

Very few companies make such blanks. One piece models are available from Lamiglas, Seeker and maybe 1 or 2 others. Not sure about the lengths.

Don Becker at Don's Tackle might be a good person to talk to about this. His link is in the sponsor list to the left.

Posted by: John Martines (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: January 17, 2009 09:58PM

You might get Lamiglas to make one but I don't think they list that length and when they did they were glass blanks. Seeker makes a glass 2pc but no graphite. The only one off hand might be Talon, They make Ulua and Menpachi blanks in graphite but the lenth might be short of 15'. Also Wheeler out of NC might have something that length. Rods that long at least in glass have butt diameters that insane. Allstar made a Hawaii surf again 2pc and was composite but the diameter at the Butt is very uncomfortable IMO.

Posted by: kerry evans (---.dyn.centurytel.net)
Date: January 17, 2009 10:25PM

First thing that entered my mind was: You're gonna need a pick up with pipe racks to haul that beast to the water.

Posted by: Jon Sanders (---.117.20.98.dynamic.ip.windstream.net)
Date: January 17, 2009 10:28PM

CUI makes a heavy duty blank that is one piece all the way up to 17 feet I believe. Bingham enterprises on the left carries them.

~Jon

There is certainly something in angling that tends to produce a serenity of the mind

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.ptld.qwest.net)
Date: January 17, 2009 10:42PM

Shipping costs will eat you alive on a 1 piece blank.

Posted by: Donald Becker (---.lava.net)
Date: January 18, 2009 06:52AM

Hi Tom,

Thank you for the referral.

Danny,

I'm not sure what you want.
Line, Lure, Action?

Here's what may fit your need:

Lamiglas GSB 180 2MH

Graphite, 15', 2 piece, considered medium heavy, equal length tip and handle.
We (Hawaii) consider it to be rated at 30 (possibly 40) # line, 4 to 7 ounce lure, moderate action.
It is light weight with a good back bone.

I believe the reel seat takes a 26mm Fuji. We have it down locking with the bottom edge of the reel seat 34" from the end of the handle. A lower mount would require a larger reel seat.

I asked Lamiglas to build a 7 1/2 foot handle to fit the 7 1/2 tip of the GSB 150 2MH. The result is the GSB 180 2MH.
We have tested and believe the lure rating of 4 to 7 ounces to be accurate. This is a maximum of 7 ounces total casting weight (sinker & bait).

I consider the GSB series of blanks to be affordable.

This blanks may not be listed. If you call Lamiglas, you may need to speak to someone in the development department. If all else fails, feel free to contact me for assistance.

Don

Don Becker

Posted by: Robert Tignor (---.hsd1.va.comcast.net)
Date: January 18, 2009 01:00PM

I have to ask, WHY? . With all of the options available today , why would anybody want a 1pc rod that long and have to deal with shipping charges and transporting . If you think a 1pc rod is going to out fish or out cast the 2pc rods made today , you have not been keeping up with the changes

Date: January 18, 2009 07:58PM

Thank You all very much for all the help with this issue. I like the one piece rods better because a friend of mine lost the end to his rod on a 2 piece rod last year, he went to cast it and the tip pieceflew out with the line, and it was a pretty high dollar 2 piece blank. We were killing the fish at our local dam during a flood and this ended his day because he didn't own another rod to keep fishing.

As for transpoting the 1 piece rod, I have a tail gate rack I bought that carries up 6 big surf rods and keeps them neat and untangled while also keeping the rods from getting together and beating themselves during travel. So we are already have a means of hauling the blank if we can get them built, and with the 1 piece we won't ever lose half the rod and not be able to fish.

Also, I fish some places that you must at least 100 yards on a football field to get to the drop offs to hit the channels, I am use to throwing Fenwick SU 1689's at 14' but sometimes you can get there on a perfect cast, other times you have to reel back in and try again. So another 1' of rod would give me plenty of reach to hit the drop offs in the Robert S Kerr Navigational Channel.

These are the reasons I'm looking at a 15'

Danny

Thank you for all your help.

Date: January 18, 2009 08:37PM

Hi Don,

What I want to build is this,

I like the feel of a Graphite rod, But the current model offered I can't throw due to the fact it is to stiff , and I can't get any distance out of the rod, So what I need to do is this, I need a Graphite blank that is about the same action as a Fenwick SU 1689 blank, good for 3 to 5oz. weights, But lember enough I can still throw it like a 1689 Fenwick.

I know it's going to be something custom that will have to be almost special order buy a rod company, and I may have to buy as many as 25 blanks to get them done, but if I can't throw the blank offered and I want to throw a Graphite one piece blank, I may have to have something built to match the rod I can throw with is a Fenwick SU 1689 , but make it 1' longer.

Date: January 19, 2009 12:47AM

Hi Danny

Here is a possible solution with Lamiglas components.

Butt Extention length = 75", OD at ferrule=0.87 inches, at butt=1.27 inches measured
GSB 132 1L, length 11 feet, 30#, 2 to 6 ounces, 1 piece
GSB 132 1M, length 11 feet, 40#, 4 to 12 ounces, 1 piece

1. You will need to check if the Butt Extention will fit the GSB 132 models
2. The lure rating may be in question. The GSB 132 1M may be most appropriate for you.
3. The Butt Extention does not present a professional appearance. You may want to wrap with cork tape, cord, or use heat shrink.

You would need to speak with the people at Lamiglas to sort out the above information.

Also, when I was testing the GSB 180 2MH, I received a blank that when built did not seem to respond properly. I contacted Lamiglas and they traced it down to having built the tip to a medium specification instead of a medium heavy specification. They immediately replaced the blank. This implies that a GSB 180 2M may be available. Although it did not work for me, it may meet your requirements.

Hope this helps,
Don

Don Becker

Date: January 19, 2009 01:02AM

Danny,

Random thoughts.

If you decide to turn a two piece rod into a one piece, you may want to consider not using any adhesives.

A lot of people have problems with two piece rods being stuck together and they can't get them apart. They immediately heat the ferrule and twist as hard as possible. For a sleeved ferrule, they should atempt to warm the handle side of the ferrule and chill (ice) the tip side of the ferrule. At room temperatures, most graphites exhibit a negative temperature coefficient. Somewhere around 800 degrees the coefficient becomes neutral and then positive.

So, warm the handle side of the ferrule, ice down the tip side, align the guides and firmly join the tip and handle. After the temperatures stabilize, you should have a ferrule that is very difficult to separate.

Don

Don Becker

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster