I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

micro guides on 7 foot spinner
Posted by: Todd Wymer (---.mia.bellsouth.net)
Date: January 15, 2009 08:49PM

Hi fellas, I'm looking for suggestions on guide sizes for a 7 foot spinner 8-15# / fast action / medium power.. used for light inshore fishing..snook ..redfish..black drum..trout...and the sorts..kinda just playin around with an old blank.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: micro guides on 7 foot spinner
Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: January 15, 2009 09:54PM

25-10-5-3.5-3mm's to the tip should give you something to play with

Date: January 15, 2009 10:26PM

thx steve..I will giv it a try...and let ya know how it works out.

Date: January 15, 2009 10:36PM

thx steve...how bout 16-12-10-6-6-6-6 ...........what do ya think...all new to me...aint no fly rod

Posted by: mike harris (---.unknown.charter.com)
Date: January 15, 2009 10:47PM

6mm guides are hardly micro by today’s standards, and unless you are using ultra high frame match guides a 16 stripper would be way too small. The idea of the new guide concept in all of its implementations is to get down to the smallest guide size as soon as possible while having tall enough guides near the butt to keep the line off of the blank.

I have built several with LSG3.5’s matched with YSG 25, 16, and 8, they work fantastic. I have also used Batson 3mm guides matched up with black Alconites. The 4mm Alconites are almost as small as the 3mm Batson guides so they may be a good choice also.

Date: January 15, 2009 11:00PM

yes mike ...i fully understand....I thought a 16 was too small to start ...but this is all i have to work with at the time...how do ya think it will act starting with a 16 ?

Posted by: Mike Clements (---.74.33.65.cfl.res.rr.com)
Date: January 16, 2009 06:47AM

Do you use a leader? If so I would worry about the micro guides being too small to pass the knot. The set up with the 6s works for me because I do the same type of fishing using braid with a flour leader & the 6s seems to let the knot pass without much resistence. Mike is correct about the stripper guide. I would use a 16.

Posted by: Mike Clements (---.74.33.65.cfl.res.rr.com)
Date: January 16, 2009 06:48AM

Not a 16 but th 25 for stripper.

Date: January 16, 2009 07:58AM

thanks for everyones input and advice..im gunna use the 25 for the stripper....and try it out today....thanks again

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: January 16, 2009 09:00AM

I would recommend using the correct sized guides. Those may be micros, or they may not be. Only you can determine that.

Posted by: Jason Wenzel (---.dhcp.stpt.wi.charter.com)
Date: January 16, 2009 01:37PM

Does the static guide placement work pretty good for micro setups?

Posted by: mike harris (---.borgwarner.com)
Date: January 16, 2009 01:53PM

Sure, especially on a spinning or spiral wrapped rod they are just like any other guide.

Date: January 16, 2009 03:34PM

Ok, after using it today with no changes to the stripper size (16) i am not happy at all with what i ended up with.....everyone was correct ...the 16 was too small...but i had to see for myself ..now im gunna try the 25 and see how it goes...thankx everyone

Posted by: john timberlake (---.triad.res.rr.com)
Date: January 17, 2009 11:43AM

you should easily be able to go with a size 20 if it is a tall frame guide like "m" style or vs3. the smaller you go it seems to be more critical of where the butt guide is placed. good luck with it

Date: January 17, 2009 03:31PM

hi fellas, I stepped it up to a 25 and am very happy with the results..actually way better than i thought.....I had to do a little adjustment to the guide placement....i know that 6s arent exactally micro, but it was the smallest i wanted to go at this time simply because of the leader size that i use..I have to tell ya.....i havnt done this much experamenting ever and its been fun...now i plan to just see how small i can get with the same great results.....i appreciate everyones input and am glad we have a place like this to share knowlege and experiance.

Posted by: Tom Allgaier (---.sip.mco.bellsouth.net)
Date: February 08, 2009 08:54AM

Hello , I hope I am not off topic here?? Regarding the micro guides. I am also building the same basic rod configuration as the seven foot spinner mentioned here. My concern is under wrapping the guides. I have been told to under wrap guides if using braided line over #6 lb test as the line tests out much higher. Should micro guides be under wrapped? Is it a good policy to under wrap micro guides in all circumstances?
Thank You for your input, Tom

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster