I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

At Last!
Posted by: Don Lukehart (---.pitt.east.verizon.net)
Date: January 15, 2009 05:52PM

After reading all the posts about using ceramic guides on flyrods I'm going to get it a try. I will be using Fuji alconites, but I refuse to use a s/f ceramic for a tiptop. It seems that my only other option is a BFAT alconite tiptop. My concern is that this animal looks to be a little on the heavy side with a extra metal supports. If so will this alter the natural action of the blank? By the way I will be building on a 8' 6" 3wt.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: At Last!
Posted by: J.B. Hunt (---.pool.dsl.logantele.com)
Date: January 15, 2009 06:07PM

Don; Check out the BMKL04R from Swampland if you can stand a 4 ring top, no braces.

Posted by: Ted Morgan (---.tpgi.com.au)
Date: January 15, 2009 06:07PM

"Lite" frame tip tops from Fuji, American Tackle, Batson or Pac Bay. There are also the fly ceramic tip tops (AmTak and Pac Bay) that are tube and ceramic in frame only, unbraced. You'd be sursprised how light the BFAT tip is, and you can also choose the tip in SiC (FST) or titanium frames with SiC (TFST). AmTak also offers the NHLT tip, although this isn't titanium as yet.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: January 15, 2009 09:01PM

Action is built in and cannot be changed by components. Weight, however, does affect "speed" which is the reaction and recovery rate of the blank.

You are talking about a minimal difference. It will have some effect, but not enough to ruin or change anything greatly.

Posted by: Don Lukehart (---.pitt.east.verizon.net)
Date: January 15, 2009 09:22PM

Thanks guys

Don Lukehart

Posted by: Phil Brenner (198.217.64.---)
Date: January 16, 2009 08:44AM

You're going to like it. I just finished a 9' 5wt with the fuji tlsg's for my father in law. He commented on how smooth it is when casting. He loves it so far.

Posted by: David Swiderski (---.dsl.bngr.epix.net)
Date: January 16, 2009 10:09AM

Don,

An old codger by the name of Thom Rivell, who taught me the basics some years ago was actually ahead of his time. He once wrapped a flyrod blank complettely with thread and finished. I don't remember the blank specs but ir started out as a fast, stiffer fly rod. When he was done the thing was like a noodle. Now mind you that the action of the blank was still the same since he did not change the blank at all. What changed was the constant load of wight on the blank. You would have had to exert more force just to move the rod and make it do what you want it to do.
He did this to illustrate to his customers who wanted longer waraps on their fly rods what too much thread and finish could do to the percieved action of the rod. Extreme? Yes. Effective demonstration? Very much so.

The moral is to keep your wraps small, your guides light and the force you exert on the blank when casting is used more efficiently. Your choice of tip top probably will not cause much, if any difference so go for what you like, but keep them light, your wraps tight and don't overfinish. you will be a happy camper .

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster