I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Surf rod
Posted by: Greg Connery (---.ek.shawcable.net)
Date: January 14, 2009 06:03PM

My son-in-law, who is a Virginian, wants me to build him a surf rod. I live in the middle of the Canadian Rockies and know nothing about surf rods. My question is: how long is the rear grip on a 101/2 foot blank. Also, any help with approximate guide spacing would be really appreciated. I have built a number of fly rods, spinning and casting rods but this appears to be completely different. Oh yes, any tricks with wrapping cork handles. Thank you for any help you can give me.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Surf rod
Posted by: John Martines (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: January 14, 2009 07:26PM

For it to be totally comfotable for him to use you should know his arm length, height. so that placement of the reel is made for him.If he has other rods have him hold one as he would be fishing it and messure from the butt to where his hand is. Nothing is worse then standing for hours in a surf with a rod that is not comfortable. Now when the reel seat is figured out you should know where the front grip and rear grips will be. Some people like a split grip in the rear some like a full grip. I have built both but if you doing cork I think a spit grip looks best.

As for the cork I have been thinking of doing an abolone shell inlay on one!

Posted by: Joe McKishen (---.cmdnnj.fios.verizon.net)
Date: January 14, 2009 11:32PM

You will need to know first what he plans to throw with it, and what type of casting he does.
Spin or conventional, single rear grip or split rear grip, one of two hand cast etc.

Most surf rods I build have a pretty long butt end, mainly for a long two hand cast and on a bait tossing stick, to keep the reel out of the sand in the rod holder. I prefer to have some sort of complete rear grip on mine, as light as possible. Most prefer just cork tape or shrink wrap.
On mine and a few customer rods I put a lightweight gimble on the end to let the rod lock into the rod holder. A rubber cap covers it if not in use.

I build a lot of 6 and bait rods, and a lot of 3-5oz plugging rods in 10-11ft lengths.

I usually get the customer to choose where he wants the reel to sit, there's really no better way to figure it, everyone seems to be different.
Arm length has a lot to do with it.
You should also have the reel he plans to use so as to properly choose the guide size and placement. A surf rod isn't necessarily like a regular spin or casting rod, most don't use nearly as many guides in order to reduce line drag as much as possible to get as much distance as possible.

Posted by: Chris Tenbusch (---.sub-75-198-108.myvzw.com)
Date: January 15, 2009 12:59AM

I can measure my 10 1/2 foot rod in the am and give you the measurements, I'm 6'1 and it works great for me.

Chris

Posted by: Tony Politi (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: January 15, 2009 09:38AM

My 10' and 11' surf rods are 28" from the butt to the top of the reel seat, as luck would have it 28" is the legal length to keep stripers in NY. I am building 2 travel surf rods and I kept the butt at 28". I do have rods that are a little shorter in butt length, but I find this to be the most comfortable for me.

Tony

Posted by: Marty Martin (---.gsp.bellsouth.net)
Date: January 15, 2009 10:54AM

Get the back issue of RodMaker that fearture an article on surf rods. I have them with everything from the very long handle to the rather short. It all depends on how he will be using it, but the RodMaker article covers all of that.

Posted by: Scotty Raebel (---.dyn.centurytel.net)
Date: January 15, 2009 08:16PM

Hi I also have a question, do you cast a surf rod with one hand above the reel seat or both hands below the reel seat, or is this also a preference. thanks scotty.

Posted by: Eddie Taylor (---.midsouth.biz.rr.com)
Date: January 17, 2009 08:53AM

I measure grip placement for surf rods by using the distance from the center of the chest to the wrist. With the arms straight out at the side - like being measured for clothes - I mesaure in a straight line from the center of the chest to wrist. For spinning rods I then subtract four inches and that is where the top of the reel seat goes; BC rods, the reel seat top is at the measurement. Have found (for me) this gives gives maximum leverage and is confortable for casting.

Scotty, I cast with left hand on the butt grip - why I like a large comfortable butt grip - and my right hand above the reelseat holding the line against the foregrip. I use 50lb braid so always have a fluoro shock leader to "grip". Don't want that braid slipping/sliding around with my finger(s) down there.

Eddie

Posted by: Scotty Raebel (---.dyn.centurytel.net)
Date: January 17, 2009 03:52PM

Thanks eddie that will give me a place to start. scotty.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster