I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Making an independent handle?
Posted by: Chris Holm (---.dsl.irvnca.pacbell.net)
Date: January 14, 2009 09:01AM

I have a few sticks of old bamboo rod sections. For the heck of it I am going to build an independent handle and get about a 7' bamboo fly rod with unknown casting characteristics. I intend to use the upper part of butt section for the grip/reel seat skeleton. Need opinions on whether this is folly or fun and any insights or observations that can insure fun not folly. Best regards, Chris

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Making an independent handle?
Posted by: Ken Preston (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: January 14, 2009 09:14AM

Chris A little more info pls. I don't understand what you're trying to accomplish. Are you saying two pieces (three) pieces of mis-matched cane to make a bamboo rod? People do that all the time. Or are you "mixing and matching" graphite/fiberglas and cane (bamboo)? If the latter I can tell you that wooden lower sections (greenheart, ash, live oak and other woods) were joined with cane (bamboo) tip sections both split and unsplit . about 100 years ago. Or are you talking about using a heavy saltwater trolling/casting rod cut up into sections to make lower grips/handles/reel seat inserts?

Date: January 14, 2009 09:38AM

Three sections of matched Tonkin cane from a pile of Montague sections
Targeting wild Rainbow (California) and Brookies (Massachusetts) on small creeks and brooks

Butt - Ferrule end cut down to about 9-10" to accommodate a reel seat and cork grip, new female ferrule
Mid - Unaltered length, new ferrules, new guides
Tip - Unaltered length, new male ferrule, new guides, new tip top

I have to admit your suggestion of the wooden lower and bamboo tip sounds really cool.

Date: January 14, 2009 10:10AM

If you have three matched sections ....... why not rebuild as original? There are plenty of mis-matched sections around. Several people take the mid section / tip section of 9' bamboo rods and rebuild them as 'tipple rods' - 5.5 - 6' small stream brookie rods. Or if you're intent on this because you have the pieces on hand do the same. Don't even use the lower section build on the mid and tip section. Result should be an ultra light short rod. Keep the lower section; find a reasonable mid section and make yourself a spining rod (or casting rod)

Posted by: Adam Harbuck (---.shv.bellsouth.net)
Date: January 14, 2009 12:03PM

I don't remember the guys name, but a builder in Arkansas use to build a reelseat/grasp "component" on a hardwood dowel, mount a female ferrule inside the cork so that it was flush with the front of the grasp, and then build different cane rod tapers to interchange with the reelseat/grasp combo. A really neat idea and totally original.

Now I remember, his name is Leo Eck, you might be able to find him on a cane rod board or Harry Boyd could help you find him.

Posted by: Jim Crisci (---.sip.asm.bellsouth.net)
Date: January 14, 2009 08:26PM

Chris,
This is not folly at all. Go for it. I've built three bamboo rods this way and the results have been very pleasing. I position the butt ferrule in the new handle so that it acts like a winding check. I prefer building them this way to building a traditional banty rod because you can use the full length of the mid and tip sections instead of using the first 9" or so of the old mid section for the grip and reel seat. Have fun.

Posted by: sam fox (208.74.247.---)
Date: January 15, 2009 09:43AM

Chris, yes you're on the right track, I've built dozens of them. As jim said I can use the whole mid and tip. Most of the rods throw a 3 or 4 wt. line and are between 61/2 and 7 ft in a finished length. You can make any type of handle you desire. If the butt ferrule on the original is good you can use it and go right to building your handle and use it as a winding check. If the ferrule is bad replace it with a new one and proceed.

Date: January 16, 2009 08:30AM

Chris,
"Homer-ism" Duh oh! Now I get it. Jim is right doing it his way you get to keep the full length of the mid and tip. Sorry for the confusion.

Date: January 17, 2009 10:56AM

Thanks a million. Last question: Should I turn down the butt section to receive the cork rings or bore a dowel to receive the ferrule? Best, Chris

Posted by: Jim Crisci (---.sip.asm.bellsouth.net)
Date: January 17, 2009 12:57PM

Chris,
Your choce. I build my grip on a 3/8" mandrel and turn down the butt section to receive it.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster