I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Travel Blanks
Posted by: James Willard (208.46.72.---)
Date: January 14, 2009 12:47AM

I have always hated multi-piece blanks, but I have since considered that with all the new high quality blanks, that I should be able to make a decent if not good quality travel blank that I can always keep in my car with me so that I never miss a chance. I was looking into the travel blanks of several different manufacturerers, but I happen to have some extra blanks and I was wondering if I could just cut up a blank that I have and make that travel rod. For those of you who haven't seen my constant confused posts on here I am new so if this is a stupid question, I plead newby. It seems like it might work, but I don't have any two piece blanks and I have only had a few so I can't really picture whether or not 1 blank that is just cut and has ferules inserted would work or not. As always I appreciate your endless wisdom.
James

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Travel Blanks
Posted by: bill boettcher (---.251.124.107.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: January 14, 2009 02:15AM

Multi piece blanks are as good as one piece blanks.
Since your a new be, I would suggest looking at Batson's site or whoever, and pick up a blank that suits your needs.
Then ask Tom K for the back issue on Making Multi Piece blanks. Then you can play with the extra blanks and make one.

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: John Barbee (---.lightspeed.hstntx.sbcglobal.net)
Date: January 14, 2009 05:53PM

Is there a company that makes 3 pc. 7 ft. blanks? I checked the recommended site, but did not see any. I am also looking to make a travel rod that can be broken down very small, kinda like the Orvis Frequent Flyer 7 pc fly rod.
Thanks
John

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.251.127.202.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: January 14, 2009 06:10PM

Here ty this: Top of page
[www.batsonenterprises.com]

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Jim Gamble (---.187-72.tampabay.res.rr.com)
Date: January 14, 2009 06:10PM

St Croix and Lamiglas make nice travel blanks in 3 piece models.

Date: January 14, 2009 07:23PM

I will definately have to check into that issue of rod maker, and I know about all of the different offered travel blanks but, what I really need to know is if I can make my own out of a one piece blank by cutting the blank.
James

Posted by: Bill Moschler (---.hsd1.tn.comcast.net)
Date: January 14, 2009 08:56PM

You looking for fly rods or spinning/casting rods? All my fly rods 3 or more piecies, up to 6). I was lucky (or smart) enough to pick up 3 of Allstars 3 piece spinning/casting blanks a few years ago and built a heavy casting rod ( The one they sold for Peacock Bass) and a medium light spinning rod. I took these rods on a trip to Alaska this summer and was lucky enough to really load them up with some Salmon, Silvers and Humpbacks. I think a spinning/casting rod that is going to have some load on it better be designed from the ground up with the ferrules in mind. Over 10% of the length of the rod seems to be within the ferrules. I would have hated sitting there watching line melt off the reel and apply full power wondering if I had picked the "right" material for the ferrule.

Freshwater fly rods and and very light, slow spinning rods maybe a different matter. Another problem I have is not having a source of glass blanks or material to make the ferrules from. The Rodmaker article is good, but you still need a source of supply for the proper materials for the ferrule. Probably if you get the article and measure and find out exactly what you need, someone here will help you with the supply.

Date: January 14, 2009 10:55PM

I am talking about spinning blanks. Definately not a slow action, and I have every intention of buying the ferules not making my own, because it will be a miracle if I make more than two rods that need them.

More importantly, all I really need to know is whether or not I can take a 1 pc blank and cut it in two places making it a 3 piece travel rod. Is that possible, or do I need to buy a 3 pc travel blank that is made specifically for this purpose?
James

Posted by: Matt Davis (---.prtel.com)
Date: January 15, 2009 07:46AM

Sage has some 3-piece models.

I make 2-piece rods from 1-piece blanks all the time. But...much prefer to just buy a 2-piece blank.

Sure you can do it.

Better to have and not need than to need and not have.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: January 15, 2009 02:10PM

James,

You cannot buy ferrules, unless you're talking about the old fashioned metal types and you won't like them. A modern graphite rod fitted with such things is going to be heavy, slow to react and recover, and quite cumbersome, particularly when you locate one in the upper 1/3rd of the rod.

You'll either want to buy a ready made travel blank or build your ferrules from glass.

Date: January 15, 2009 03:17PM

Thanks everyone, especially Tom, you just saved me some money, like I said not big on multi-piece rods so not really that familiar with what ferrules are made out of and how to use them, but those metal ones are the ones I picture in my head. I guess it is time to do some research on ferrules. Thanks everyone.
James

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster