I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

How to remove dust, skin flakes, etc from wraps pre finish
Posted by: Herb Ladenheim (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: January 12, 2009 07:48PM

Hi,
I have a problem with dust and skin flakes deposited on wraps. I use dark thread most of the time and after I wrap they have a pretty good deposit of dust/skin. Latex gloves are a pain.
Does anybody know if I use a can of comnpresed air will it leave a hydrocarbon or any other residue that wolud inhibit the finish?

Or - how do the rest of you deal with the prob.?
Sometimes I wipe down with a dry coffee filter and that helps but I am looking for a better way.
Thanks,
Herb

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: How to remove dust, skin flakes, etc from wraps pre finish
Posted by: Bert Kinghorn (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: January 12, 2009 08:10PM

I suspect there are others who do much the same, but I use 3M brand Scotch #2080 (low-tack) blue painter's tape with good results. Be careful though. There are several other higher-tack 3M blue painter"s tapes that I would not recommend for the purpose as they are too tacky and will lift thread fiber fuzzies and even loosen wraps.

~Bert

Posted by: Roger Templon (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: January 12, 2009 08:10PM

Herb

If you do use a can of compressed air don't shake or move the can while you are spraying. It will squirt the propellant on your wraps and may leave residue.

I just use a 1" to 2" piece of blue painters masking tape to form a loop - sticky side out. Stick the loop to your finger and lightly tap the wraps while turning the rod slowly. This will pull off any fuzzies and flakes. It doesn't seem to leave any residue for me.

Rog

Date: January 12, 2009 10:02PM

I use blue tape to wrap to protect blank under rollers when I turn cork. But I was afraid to use it on wraps because I thought it might leave a residue of adhesive. I will try it lightly.
Thanks to both.
Herb

Posted by: Walt Davenport (---.hr.hr.cox.net)
Date: January 12, 2009 11:16PM

I use the tape method. If I raise any fuzzies they get hit with a quick swipe from the torch before finish

Walt Davenport
"Roadhouse Rods"

Posted by: Matt Davis (---.prtel.com)
Date: January 13, 2009 07:09AM

I just blow on them while brushing them with a wide soft paint brush.

Better to have and not need than to need and not have.

Posted by: Chuck Mills (---.grenergy.com)
Date: January 13, 2009 12:33PM

I'm with Matt as far as the brush goes, and in MN right now we have very dry skin and a lot of static to make the problem worse. If I can't get it off with a brush I will use the low tack #M2080. [www.rodbuilding.org] . I don't push the tape into the wrap very hard, and I don't twist or rub. Just a light touch to get off a stubborn klingon. I'm assuming the dry skin flakes are from your hands. You might try a shot of 100% aloe on your hands before doing threadwork. I have used it and not seen any affect on the threads. Wash well, dry, put aloe on your hands and wait until they dry.

Posted by: Duane Richards (---.rn.hr.cox.net)
Date: January 13, 2009 12:37PM

Chuck,

You're WAY more brave than I am. :-) I wash my hands with Alcohol before touching anything rod building, I'd never consider aloe ever. I use the tape, lightly and quickly touched to needed areas. If it's real bad, I'll do the canned air 1st, then the tape.

DR

Posted by: Chuck Mills (---.grenergy.com)
Date: January 13, 2009 01:34PM

DR, if I did that it would hurt. My hands are cracked and bleeding. I use superglue to mend the cracks in my fingertips. I work outside in this crap!

Posted by: Greg Marshall (---.cpe.cableone.net)
Date: January 13, 2009 10:24PM

Herb,
I use a tack cloth that I get from Lowe's paint dept. Looks like a piece of cheesecloth and it's got some harmless stickem on it. You don't need to press it down or rub it or anything, just lay a corner of the tack cloth on the wrap and turn the rod. The weight of the cloth provides enough pressure. Usually does a good job of picking up dust and such and doesn't leave any residue. Store in something like a peanut butter jar, after you've eaten all the peanut butter. They have a tendency to dry out if you leave them exposed to the open air for an extended period.

Date: January 13, 2009 11:23PM

Hey - thanks to all.
Herb

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster