I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Off Topic - Prescription Polarized Fishing Glasses
Posted by: Marty Martin (---.gsp.bellsouth.net)
Date: January 12, 2009 08:45AM

Can anybody point me to a good option for prescription polarized glasses. I have been making do with fitovers for years, but I spend so much time outside and the outdoor sports are my chief hobby (and my eyes are getting to that age!) that I am willing to go ahead and invest some $$ in a good pair. I figured that all of you guys who fish so much could give me good pointers.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Off Topic - Prescription Polarized Fishing Glasses
Posted by: matthew jacobs (---.179.117.75.dynamic.ip.windstream.net)
Date: January 12, 2009 09:01AM

Spend the money and get a good pair of Costa Del Mars. They are in my mind the greatest sunglasses out there and the customer service is dang good.

Posted by: Joshua Turner (---.andassoc.com)
Date: January 12, 2009 09:03AM

i think I'd talk to the eye doc and see what he has to offer

Posted by: Lance Dupre (---.hsd1.la.comcast.net)
Date: January 12, 2009 09:15AM

I would recommend Costa Del Mar also. Speak to someone in Customer Service and they'll direct you to the right person to speak to then all you need to do is forward your prescription to them and chosse the style you'd like. It takes up to three weeks to receive them.

Posted by: Terry Turner (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: January 12, 2009 09:37AM

I just did this and searched high and wide for a "deal". There weren't any that gave me the kind of sunglasses that are polarized, curve to fit your face/block light and were a quality optical prescription. My eye doc carried both Oakley and Maui Jim prescription models. I chose Oakley as they had the best rep for getting a prescription in a curved lens, and gave me the style and polarization I wanted. I did look at Costa Del Mars, which would have been a good choice also. Oakley had specific fishing models that I liked a little better.

With Oakley, they directed me either back to my eye doc or one of the distribution sites that specialize in prescription sunglasses. The discount houses didn't offer the style I wanted and not every frame style is available in prescription lenses. The eye doc was able to deal directly with Oakley.

They aren't cheap. Expect to spend at least $300, depending on your prescription. My Oakley's were $350 and adding bifocals was more.

Good luck. Let us know what you end up with.

Terry

Posted by: woody osborne (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: January 12, 2009 09:40AM

check out 39dollarglassesdotcom i have been getting their glasses subsequent to walmart eye exams for years. i'm on my 3rd or 4th pair from them. i paid less than $200 for the metal frames i like with the SEIKO 1.67 super high index lenses(dark tint). $113 for lenses/frame and about 80 for eye exam at walmart
Seiko® 1.67 lenses are our lens of choice for those with very high prescriptions. these lens are not polarized but they do have two polarized options with close pricing. my prescription is very high but my glasses are really light with the seiko lenses. i've been happy with their services for the time i've been buying from them.
over five pairs of glasses that makes about $500-$1000 i have not spent on glasses-translated into 20 rod blanks, threads, guides, reel seats , the new batson rodwrapper, etc.

Posted by: Mark Griffin (---.lsanca.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: January 12, 2009 11:26AM

I paid the price for prescription Ray Bans. Polorized and scratch proofed lenses. They're what they call a "golf bi-focal" lenses, which is a very small bi-focal lense in the lower inside corner of each side. It doesn't come into play in your normal vision at all like regular bi-focals do. It's just big enough to find with your eyes when tying knots.

Cost a fortune (to me anyways). Power wrapper X2.

Mark Griffin
[]
C&M Custom Tackle
San Dimas, California

Posted by: matthew jacobs (---.179.117.75.dynamic.ip.windstream.net)
Date: January 12, 2009 11:29AM

My wife's Costas were close to $600.00 but she "had to have" special frames. Her DR ordered the lenses and we got the frames. The only thing with them is you need something done the frame, you have to take the lenses out and then put back in.
This is kind of a Ford vs Chevy arguement but having had Oakley polarized, Maui Jim and Costas, I'll never wear any other brand.

Posted by: Jon Gold (---.snfccasy.dynamic.covad.net)
Date: January 12, 2009 11:44AM

I'm with Mark. I've had the same pair of Blues Brothers Ray Ban Wayfarer frames for like 30 years.
I just keep taking them in to my opto and he puts fresh polarized, UV coated lenses in with every new eye exam.
I also have the "golf bi-focal" lenses in the lower inside corner.....I'd be dead trying to tie knots without them.
And yes, they are expensive, about $450 each swap out....and this is just lenses.
But, I swear I can see underwater with these glasses.

Posted by: Ray Zarychta (162.136.192.---)
Date: January 12, 2009 12:44PM

Look at a pair of Bolle's with interchangeable colored lenses and prescription insert. If you change your prescription you only change the insert, the sunglasses stay the same. Have had mine for three years now and whish I had done it sooner. $300+ depending on prescription.

Posted by: Michael Sledden (---.dsl.emhril.sbcglobal.net)
Date: January 12, 2009 01:42PM

I would suggest going online to a place called Elton Optics. He has some of the best pricing around.

Posted by: Scott Kleppe (---.4.63.69.dyn.southslope.net)
Date: January 12, 2009 02:36PM

I too like Mark and Jon have the Ray bans and love them. I can be going 70+ and turn around without fear of them coming off. They are great while plowing the white stuff too.

SK Custom Rods
American Tackle Pro Staff

Fish now, cause you'll be dead for a long time.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster