I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

CP or Not
Posted by: Ron Fletcher (---.dsl.pltn13.pacbell.net)
Date: January 11, 2009 10:05PM

I built my 1st rod and I used CP. I like white underwraps because I fish at night and also like the way it looks. I have heard that White thread causes lots of problems.

I used NCP White A thread for underwrap then I used D Nylon for the guides.
(All Gudebrod Brand)

If I use A & D Thread that is NCP for the guides and use Flex Coat High build would it be stronger then with CP and still look OK or would it be better to use Flex Coat Lite for the 1st coat so it will soak in better then finish it with High build?

Would the white even though it is NCP absorb the other color and bleed through with out CP?

I was told by a friend that when it gets hot during the guides are going to move around. He made one once with white underwrap and he said that he would never do that again. He installs his underwarp and puts a coat of epoxy on the underwarp before he put on the guides with D NCP thread.

I like the way the 1st one turned out but I do not want to build 4 or 5 rods than have the guides start moving all over.

I would appreciate your input.

Thanks Ron

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/11/2009 10:09PM by Ron Fletcher.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: CP or Not
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: January 11, 2009 10:38PM

You will not lose any strength by using CP. This is a pretty well worn myth. Your friend's guides failed for some other reason, not because of using CP.

If you're going to use white thread, it needs to be NCP and if you want it to hold a bright white color, it needs CP.

There is nothing wrong with putting a light coat of epoxy on the underwraps before overwrapping them.

Posted by: Joe McKishen (---.cmdnnj.fios.verizon.net)
Date: January 12, 2009 12:48AM

I usually will put a light coat of epoxy over the underwraps, on heavier rods especially. Chances are that without CP, the white wraps will turnout translucent with the guide feet showing through. If you've ever done a repair on a custom rod which has had CP used, you would realize that it don't hurt the wrap's strength any.
I've been using CP on all my wraps, regardless of thread type for years, it does wonders for the finally finish appearance and I think it helps reduce bubbles on larger wraps when using high build.
I often use low build on the underwraps, put on sparingly with a brush and left to dry before putting on the guides. I've never had a wrap fail or move.

Posted by: Terry Turner (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: January 12, 2009 09:47AM

Your plan is fine. Using NCP w/CP is the best way to retain white with little bleed through. CP used correctly will not move nor is it weaker than straight finish. Some simple rules though.

Make sure it is well mixed before using. Most CP's are suspended solids in the clear acrylic.
Apply heavily and allow to soak in a bit, then wick off the excess with a brush wiped on a paper towel.
Apply a second coat if you aren't sure the wrap has been covered well.
Allow to cure overnight between coats or before applying finish.

You can apply a light coat of finish to the underwrap before wrapping the guide, or not. Your choice.

Terry

Posted by: Ron Fletcher (---.dsl.pltn13.pacbell.net)
Date: January 13, 2009 06:35PM

Thanks for all of your input. I will continue to use CP on white NCP thread. I want the white to stay white and hold its bright color. I was just a little worried from my friend’s experience.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster