I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Tip Top? for Saltwater Fly fishers
Posted by: Doug Cole (---.hsd1.ut.comcast.net)
Date: January 11, 2009 12:39PM

I have an RX8 2 piece 10 wt. blank. I purchased it several years ago when I lived in Southern California, with the idea of using it for Yellow Tail and the occasional Durado that make it to the area. The Tip Top I puchased along with it has a ring size of 6, which was just fine when rigging for the aforementioned species. However, now I'm thinking I'd like to use the rod for other species as well, Tarpon etc. Can anyone tell me if the size 6 ring will be too small for the knots involved in going after Tarpon, Tuna and the like?

Thanks

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Tip Top? for Saltwater Fly fishers
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: January 11, 2009 01:05PM

You're the only one that can determine that. Generally, I always put an 8 ring or even a 10 ring on such rods because I didn't how adept the user might be at knot tying.

Keep in mind that all your running guides will need to have ring openings just as large as your top. If your knots won't go through a #6 ring top, they won't go through a #6 ring guide either.

Posted by: James Smith (---.rochester.res.rr.com)
Date: January 11, 2009 06:47PM

I won't represent this as completely authoritative, but just as my experience. Things happen when you are on the water. The smallest ring size that passes a knot carefully tied the day before may have trouble passing the connection you make on the water to deal with an abraded leader butt, or whatever else comes along. There is a lot of pressure to possess the ninth degree of rod performance, and reducing tip weight is an issue in that regard. If you switch out lines on the water to something you did not expect to use, have to retie, etc. the smallest effective ring size might go up a size or two. Since its my own wisdom, I choose to put 8mm single foots on all my saltwater fly rods from 8 weight up.

Posted by: Matthew Kelleher (---.cidr.lightship.net)
Date: January 12, 2009 12:55PM

doug we fish for bluefin tuna up in the northeast a bunch... learn to tie a slim beauty..if tied correctly.... when the line gets to the backing it flows right out of the guides.. no issues. the knot is outstanding.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster