I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Let's talk cranking blanks
Posted by: Eric Nelson (---.dhcp.ahvl.nc.charter.com)
Date: January 10, 2009 07:52PM

When it comes to blanks for crankbaits what properties make for a good blank for a shallow running lure. Let's just use lure weights of 1/4 to 3/8 oz as a generic guide, 8-12lb test line, and depths up to 6 feet.

Opposite end of the spectrum, now for a deep running cranks. Lure weights from 3/8 to 1 1/4 oz., 12 lb test, running depths of 16-22 feet.

Not necessarily looking for blank suggestions, but blank properties that make a blank preferred for cranking. But if you use a specific blank as a suggestion, what makes it preferred.

After coming back and re-reading this, I feel I need to clarify a little better. I understand the numbers for line test, and lure weight, I just do not fully understand the way to select the blank for use as a crank blank for different depths.

Eric

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/10/2009 09:38PM by Eric Nelson.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Let's talk cranking blanks
Posted by: Bobby Feazel (---.55.155.207.dynamic.ip.windstream.net)
Date: January 10, 2009 09:54PM

Eric

I have been a "cranker" for about 40 years and I have seen the spectrun change from glass to graphite to composit and back to glass and back to composit and back to graphite, etc, etc. It depends on who is trying to sell what to whom.

First there is the weight issue: too heavy, wear you out. Too stiff, pull the hooks out, too this, too that and on and on. Then there is the sensitivity issue: can't feel anything to where you have enough sensitivity to feel the line climbing up a piece of grass. Then there is the issue of long casts. Longer casts, deeper running baits etc, etc. Then there is the pros who swear that this is better, no this is better etc, etc. HYPE, HYPE, HYPE.

So what do we do? First, decide what you want to accomplish then do some testing with an open mind. Can anyone do this. No they can't because they don't have the advantages that we custom builders have. Concieve it, build it ,try it then make up your own mind.. You can't get this "off the rack".

Now with all that philosophical stuff out of the way, I'll try and answer your question.

I am convienced that a hard hook set can be disavantageous with sharp trebel hook baits, therefore; I try to allow the fish to set the hook himself. Consiquently, I want a rod that has a lot of give in the top half. A moderate action blank best fulfills this objective IMHO.

Second, I want a rod that is light, extremely easy to cast long distances (because of depth) and has excellent sensitivity. This pretty much eliminated glass or composit. Notice I am swimming upstream here against most of the "in the box" thinking because we are being conditioned by marketing people to believe otherwise.

So, the two different spectrums you are asking about only has to do with the power of the rod. It takes a little heavier power to comfortably cast the heavier baits. The action and material composition should be the same in either case. It's just about the power.

I currently have about ten different crankbait rods because I am always trying to find the ultimate. Some of my trials are white elephants that will probably never leave my shop and some I feel are as good as I can get today.

A few weeks ago, I was completely sold on 7 1/2 to 8' 0" foot Hot Shot blanks as being the best because of their soft tip, moderate action and extremely heavy butt sections. Today I am converting all my cranking sticks to 8' 0" popping blanks. My blank of choice today is the XP3 P904. The heaver power P905 may be best suited to the heavier baits. I have not tried the P903 for lighter weights.

I build on these blanks and produce final weights between 3 and 3 1/3 ounces. Compare that to "off the shelf" rods that weight in at 8+ ounces.

Bobby Feazel

[www.shockwaverods.com]

Conventional wisdom will not open the box.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/10/2009 10:06PM by Bobby Feazel.

Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: January 10, 2009 10:10PM

Many will say that a blank containg fiber glass will be the better choice for a crank bait blank. There are special cases where the manufacture has created a similar moderate action blank to allow lures to work properly and for fish in the reaction or feeding bite cycle to inhale the lure without jerking free. A blank that is too fast will result in lost fish. The rods need to be extremely light for increased feel and sensitivity and have a good constant recovery rate to insure constant contact with the fish during jumps. The back end power is matched up to the lure weight and lure lip size to insure enough power.

The Castawy Multi modulus XP3 uses a lower modulus fiber in the tip section to create the desired softness for crankbait rods in all lengths designed for various lure weights. One blank that is presently sold quite regularly for long distance cranking in the large Texas reservoirs is the eight foot 804 and 805 blanks which are designed for crankbaits and possess the needed characteristics. Both are extremely light, slightly over 2 oz and have the back end power for (804) Rattle Traps and other moving baits and (805) for DD 22. Several fishermen have used these blanks to replace their preferred moving bait blanks. The seven foot Castaway High Modules HG Crankng blanks that will be unveiled at High Point weigh in at 1.35 oz.

[www.swamplandtackle.com]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/10/2009 10:29PM by Bill Stevens.

Posted by: Rolly Beenen (---.cpe.net.cable.rogers.com)
Date: January 10, 2009 10:10PM

I dont notice those blanks on the swampland site. Are they spacial order? I was talking about the 8' popping blanks

Rolly Beenen
Rovic Custom Rods

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/10/2009 10:13PM by Rolly Beenen.

Posted by: Alex Dziengielewski (---.aik.sc.atlanticbb.net)
Date: January 10, 2009 10:16PM

I'm with Bobby on this. I have one of the XP3 P904s in the shop and it FEELS awesome. I haven't finished building it to on water test yet, but I'm antsy!

I also like a deeper flex and I too try to let the fish hook himself. I might "pop" the rod, but most of the time I just sit down on the reel and let the tension set the hook. I have a Lamiglas CCB845M and love it. Great amount of flex and soft and smooth feeling. But it will wear you out as it's heavy (compared to my all graphite crank rods).

I am also a big fan of long (8') crankbait rods. Why? 2 reasons. #1 Longer casts - the objective of a crankbait is to already have the lure down by the time you get to that stump or whatever. Longer casts let you get past it and make sure it's down. Also lets you run that crankbait longer. Say you are cranking grass lines. I can keep the lure in the strike zone/depth longer with a longer cast. Still have same up to boat/down to depth, but you gain a longer run. #2 - The infamous Paul Elias trick - you can get a little more depth with a long rod... you got more rod to stick in the water and get that lure a little deeper.

I prefer longer handles so I can use my forearm as a brace when cranking. Wrist doesn't get tired as quickly and I can fish longer.

And I thought Bobby had been "cranky" for 40 years... now I find out he's a "cranker"... LOL

-----------------
AD

Date: January 10, 2009 10:19PM

Yes use the contact us button for an email response - Rolly they are eight footers - remember Canadian shipping ! Maybe we could meet you at the border!

Posted by: Chuck Mills (---.gctel.stellarllc.net)
Date: January 10, 2009 11:06PM

Bill - Can I assume you'll have a few of the 8' at the show? Or do I need to order them?

Posted by: Robert Russell (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: January 11, 2009 12:06AM

I agree with Alex and Bobby, the Castaway XP3 popping blanks are the best. I too really like the 8 footers. They are a favorite of mine and my clients. I like the soft tip and moderate action that keep them buttoned up and because they're graphite, you can feel everything you're bait is doing.

Eric,
To answer your question; I like a 3 power rod for lighter crankbaits in the 1/4 - 3/8 oz. For baits that light, I usually throw a 7' rod. As much as I really like the 8 footer, I don't find much advantage with baits that light. The XP3 703 popping blank would work great. One of my favorite baits is the Bomber Square A. If I move up to something a little heavier, like the 5/8 oz Strike King 4s, I'll throw it on the 8 footer. I have both the 803 and the 804 XP3 and it's really just a matter of personal preference. I have a customer that throws everything from small shallow baits to large deep divers on the 803. He uses the 805 for Rattle Traps, but everything else is on the 803.

Here's my basic break down
703 - small crankbaits, small traps and stickbaits
803 - medium sized cranks shallow cranks
804 - traps, medium sized deeper cranks and sometimes the big deep stuff depending on the size of fish and cover
805 - traps and the big deep stuff

I'd build a 703 and 804 and see what you think. You can do almost everything with those two rods. Also, take note of Alex's advise about longer handles. Loomis and others seem to put especially short grips on their crankbait rods. I put 9.5-10.5 inch grips on all my crankbaits rods and it makes a huge difference. Nearly every customer I've built a crankbait rod for comments on how easy they are to fish with the longer handle.

Bottom line, build em and fish em and see what works for you.

Posted by: David Page (---.234.28.71.dynamic.ip.windstream.net)
Date: January 11, 2009 12:10AM

Bill, 8fters were NOT on the list LOL. We need to talk because Ihave customers wanting crankbait rods.

David Page
E-town, KY.

Date: January 11, 2009 09:16AM

Sorry, but Robert Russel has us in a bind.

Castaway did not release the eight foot cranking blanks to us with the original line up of XP3 blanks introduced at the show last year. We really did not know about them. Robert Russel requested a special order to build cranks for use at Falcon and we picked up a few of them at the plant to fill his special order. We sold them to Robert using Castaway's blank designations of 803, 804 and 805. Those numbers conflicted with the blank numbing system in place on the Swampland site - Bobby ordered some - I built some and the word gets out. They are presently not listed on the web site.

Swampland will retag the cranking blanks and list them with the following numbers 963, 964 and 965 to make them consistant with the first two numbers being the length in inches and the last number power.

These Castaway blanks will be listed on the Swampland Tackle site in the XP3 classification as soon as we get the default shipping charges installed.

[www.swamplandtackle.com]

Steve G. - this is a private note to you concering these blanks - do you remember asking me the question if these were? This blank is kinda like the hookset issue we discussed - If you snooze you loose!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/11/2009 10:02AM by Bill Stevens.

Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: January 11, 2009 09:19AM

Eric you have received some really solid info. Almost to the word, I agree with what Bobby and Alex have said.
With one minor exception that being I have not yet used any of the Swamplands cranking blanks.
I still have enough of the Shikari 803, and 804 popping blanks in stock that I’ve not needed to purchase any additional blanks. But after this thread and the comments made by Bobby and Alex they will be the first ones I consider.

Also preferring a 9.5 to 10 inch handle.

Date: January 11, 2009 10:06AM

Robert new play toy on the way hopefully - the HG40 seven footer in the 3 power only weight 1.35 oz we got a few to take to the Show which are overstocks.

Posted by: BobMcKamey (---.dhcp.jcsn.tn.charter.com)
Date: January 11, 2009 11:03AM

Eric -- The main property of a cranking blank, should be a "Moderate" action blank. Back many years ago, before we ever had these so-called cranking blanks of today, we were using the true, moderate action popping blanks. As you noticed, I said true, moderate popping blanks. Popping blanks have eveloved into more of moderate-fast or faster action blanks over the past several years, by various manufacturers, so make sure it is a true moderate action when choosing a popping blank for cranking. Also nowadays, there are the cranking blanks that various companies have provided, which are good choices, in a carbon blank. Glass or composite blanks also make great cranking blanks, due to their soft, moderate make-ups, but there is a weight issue, as a trade-off. I like using a different length and powered rod, depending on the size bait and the depth it will run. Both Batson and St. Croix offer fantastic cranking and popping blanks in several graphite models, for various applications of crank bait fishing. If I can be of any further help in discussing these type blanks, just contact me.

Bob McKamey -- Custom Tackle Supply

Posted by: Scott Sheets (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: January 11, 2009 11:09AM

Wow, This has already been a great thread. I agree with a lot mentioned above. THe only thing I can add is info about my rods for shallow crankbaits for smallies in the industrial rivers I fish around me. I have actually gone back to using a 6'6" medium fast for most of my crankbaits that I fish shallower than 5'. I too let the fish hook themselves for the most part. When I feel a bite I sweep my rod back and to the side, this helps set the hook and helps maintain pressure. In this situation I really do LOVE my Seeker BS706 S glass blank. I know that the action is related to the blank design and not the material, but I have not been able to find a graphite blank yet that is a MF but still has a soft feel when smallies make a last minute surge at the boat. The rod is a bit heavy compared to what I could do in graphite, but until I find the ultimate shallow crank blank I will be sticking with it.

For mid-depth 6-12' I have been fishing with the avid CB blanks, and the Batson CB70MHM blank. So far I have been happy with them....of course this thread has me wanting to try some popping blanks.

Scott Sheets
www.smsrods.com

Posted by: Richard Forhan (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: January 11, 2009 06:06PM

Eric - I agree with Bob McKamey and Scott Sheets, with one addition. When you're trying to pick the appropriate blank - you need to consider the skill level of the intended angler - the difference between a beginner and a touring pro is HUGE! When it comes to cranking - many touring pros go glass - few beginners like those blanks. Beginners love graphite popping rods for cranking. There is a large range of skill levels between these two anglers - and just as many blank choices. If you're not sure- call Bob at Custom Tackle Supply - he is a sponsor and I have no doubt he will guide you in the right direction. If you can make the big show - I'll be covering the angler's and the choices - in detail for many bass techniques. (rather talk a few hundred words than type)

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: January 11, 2009 06:21PM

Check out the loomis 7' cb841 or 843 blanks for very light, sensitive, forgiving blanks that IMHO meet the properties that most responders are looking for. Very easy on the arm, easy to cast, soft on the strike, sensitive. I've tried glass and for the life of me, I cannot understand why anyone would want a glass rod when they could have a Loomis 843.

Posted by: Mike Thompson (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: January 11, 2009 11:01PM

A blank no one has mentioned imho SS706 from Seeker is the most impressive blank Ive built for crankbait use. Only serious tournament and profesional anglers will truly appriciate this blank. I put in the hands of many anglers this weekend at a expo and made many anglers pants tight. I know these blanks are getting fished alot, just not many people talking about them. Sorta like the baits that really produce, no one wants to give it up in fear of competing against it. I think Rich Forhan can tell you alot about this blank. I urge anyone interested in a crankbait blank to inquire about it in High Point at the Seeker booth, nothing like hands on, it wont be like fishing it but most builders can tell alot by handling this blank.

Mike Thompson
Thompson's Custom Rods

It is impossible to make anything foolproof, because fools are so ingenious!

Posted by: Eric Nelson (---.dhcp.ahvl.nc.charter.com)
Date: January 11, 2009 11:31PM

Thanks for all the information. This will give me plenty to digest over the next few weeks while I am deciding on a blank for my cranks.

Eric

Posted by: Scott Sheets (---.org)
Date: January 12, 2009 10:07AM

Hey Mike,
Is the SS706 or the BS706? I know Rich used to promote the BS706 very heavily, I've never looked at the SS706.

Scott Sheets
www.smsrods.com

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster