I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Dream Reamer
Posted by: Gary Leone (---.hsd1.mi.comcast.net)
Date: January 10, 2009 09:44AM

The description for Batson's Dream Reamer small size is as follows: "Small Reamer for Fly/Ultra Light Blanks". I am a hobby builder that has a need for a reamer to do fly rod blanks anywhere from a 2 weight to a 10 weight. Is this reamer suited best for all fly rod blanks, or am I better off to get the kit of four reamers? Also, are there different kits available, the descriptions all seem to match but prices on these vary widely from place to place.

thanks. Gary

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Dream Reamer
Posted by: Jon Gold (68.167.206.---)
Date: January 10, 2009 09:58AM

Gary:
I only know of one kit of the Dream Reamers with 4 different size reamers..
The smallest one of the 4 in my kit measures @.275 (3/16) at the tip and @ .366 (3/8) at the butt.
I cannot tell you how much time this kit has saved me. I use them very carefully & gently in a drill press.
I would tell you to get the whole kit. I use my entire kit, I love cork handles on all my different types of rods.
Jon

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/10/2009 09:59AM by Jon Gold.

Posted by: Chris Holm (---.dsl.irvnca.pacbell.net)
Date: January 10, 2009 10:35AM

I concur with Jon. This is a super handy kit and although I do not have the luxury of a drill press, manual operation is quite acceptable as well. Send me an email at fenway66@gmail.com and I will share my source which was the lowest price for the kit by far. Best regards, Chris

Posted by: PAUL FANNON (119.77.68.---)
Date: January 10, 2009 12:21PM

Make your own reamers.

Very easy and cost effective.

You can have every taper that you will ever use.

Old rod blanks are ideal.

Paul

I fish therefore I am.
www.hookeduprods.com

Posted by: John Kepka (---.dsl.stlsmo.swbell.net)
Date: January 10, 2009 12:37PM

I don't wish to criticize but you might want to check your measurements. 3/16 would be much less than .275. If in fact it is .275 then it is bigger than the 1/4 inch standard hole and would not fit.

Posted by: Jim Gamble (---.187-72.tampabay.res.rr.com)
Date: January 10, 2009 01:13PM

#1 = 0.215 to 0.370
#2 = 0.335 to 0.475
#3 = 0.470 to 0.580
#4 = 0.565 to 0.680

Those figures are off one of my sets, not from a website.

I do like my Dream Reamers and they are a valued tool in my shop. However, I still use my Swampland Reamers much more. They cut better, cut straighter AND hold up better.

BTW, IMO you get much more desirable results (fit and finish) by taking your time and doing the work manually.

Posted by: John Kepka (---.dsl.stlsmo.swbell.net)
Date: January 10, 2009 01:19PM

I seem to recall an issue of Rodmaker that had a spiral reamer you could make--can't remember which one though.

Posted by: Jon Sherwin (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: January 10, 2009 02:49PM

Jim, do you have measurements of the small sized swampland reamer? I read somewhere else here while searching that the dimensions listed on the mudhole site are made without the sanding medium applied. Was wondering what the approximate measurements would be of the small sized one with the sanding medium attached. Thanks!

Posted by: Dean Veltman (---.hsd1.mi.comcast.net)
Date: January 10, 2009 04:25PM

I just got my Dream Reamer kit yesterday and it looks great. Before, I had a reamer that I tried to make that was similar to the dream reamer, but had a hard time getting the sanding strips to stay on nice and smooth, especially at the tip on the smaller diameters. I also had the grit type reamer, but really do not care for those, especially when a piece of grit comes loose and is stuck inside the grip and puts a nice scratch on the blank (I probably forgot to blow it out first).

Posted by: Bill Eshelman (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: January 10, 2009 04:30PM

I learned to stay away from the grit reamers. I can tap them on the cork on the counter and try to blow it out. If a piece of grit is stuck in the cork you really scratch up the blank.

Bill

Ohio Rod Builders

Canton, Ohio

Posted by: Jim Gamble (---.187-72.tampabay.res.rr.com)
Date: January 10, 2009 06:04PM

Jon -

The small Swampland Reamer OD (where the abrasive is located) ranges from 0.315 to 0.465. The medium ranges from 0.410 to 0.485. Although the larger diameter, of the medium size, isn't much different, the taper is and it is useful to have.

IF you wanted to build your own, you could communicate with Lance at Swampland (vendor list to left) to see if he could possibly accommodate you with the abrasive material ... it is the best I have found to date.

Jim -

Posted by: Russ Pollack (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: January 11, 2009 01:08AM

It's like drill bits, you can't have enough of them.

First to answer the question - yes, the smalles Batson reamer is pretty hood for more of the flyrods we build.

We use the Batson Dream Reamers every day. We've replaced the sandpaper several times. The only word of warning is that the instructions now specifically say don't use them in a drill, and we are living proof that if you do, the repeated heat buildup will eventually cause the fiberglass shaft to fail. If you do choose to use a drill or some sort, TAKE IT SLOW and stop every few minutes to let the reamer (and the cork or EVA) cool.

The Swampland reamers are also ecellent and have different tapers, which gets back to the point - like drill bits, more in different sizes is always better.

And then there's make your own. The grit styles defintely have a problem with grit coming off and scarring the blank. One way to avoid this is to run a nylon brush through the hole to clean it out after using one of these kinds of reamers. But a better way is to select a piece of blank or dowel with a taper you like and spiral your own sandpaper tape around it.

Uncle Russ
Calico Creek Rods

Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: January 12, 2009 12:15PM

Mudhole is the exclusive dealer for the Professional Reamers built in the Swampland Tackle shop.

[www.mudhole.com]

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster