I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Bamboo rod rehab
Posted by: Chris Holm (---.dsl.irvnca.pacbell.net)
Date: January 08, 2009 11:35PM

Hi out there. After a dozen or so rod rehabs across the spectrum I have decided to take a shot at rehabilitating a Montague Rapidan bamboo fly rod. As a merchantable rod from the mid-40s I will do no harm when I make that first big mistake. I have logged the rod which is remarkably intact except the reelseat and cork which are trashed, seems this rod was fished hard and put away wet.

First challenge: The ferrules are pinned with what I presume from reading up on the topic is nickel silver wire. I don't have anything small enough to drive it through and can't find a gunsmith or jeweler's punch that small.

Any suggestions? Thanks.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Bamboo rod rehab
Posted by: Paul McRoberts (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: January 08, 2009 11:45PM

Drill blanks or hobby stores for either wire or small punches or Golden Witch (They sell a pin punch) or Wagner rods.

Date: January 09, 2009 12:07AM

Thanks Paul, appreciate the suggestions and will follow up.

Posted by: Jim Crisci (---.sip.asm.bellsouth.net)
Date: January 09, 2009 06:02AM

Chris,
Try Brownells as well. They sell a .039 gunsmith pin punch. I think that nickel silver wire was .040.

Posted by: Ken Preston (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: January 09, 2009 12:00PM

If the ferrules are tight (to the blank and fit) you may not have to remove them.

Date: January 09, 2009 12:29PM

Great suggestion on Brownell's, will add that to the list of resources.

Good comment Ken, thanks. The ferrules are in fact loose and show severe signs of wear but do not appear to be fatigued. The first ferrule veers hard right so I have to reset anyway. A funny (happily) story: I was removing a ferrule from a old bamboo rod over the gas range in the kitchen. The heat was too high or the ferrule too close. As a result the ferrule launced from the rod shooting hot glove spitz onto my hands and knocking over the adjacent garlic rack. A low cost lesson: Apply low heat evenly and slowly, protect your hands and eyes. Anyone got additional tips on ferrule removal?

Posted by: Robert Balcombe (---.rb2.gh.centurytel.net)
Date: January 09, 2009 09:10PM

Use a alcahol lamp for heat. Always point heated ferrual towards an enemy. How could acuse you of shoot the guy. LOL I always ware safty glasses
Good Wraps Bob

Posted by: Jeffrey Van Zandt (---.tkj.aptalaska.net)
Date: January 10, 2009 09:05AM

Hi Sir, yes Brownells or russ at Goldenwitch has the punch set also golden witch has the nickel silver wire and drills for it so you can repin also if you freeze the ferrules you can work them of but a heat gun is what I use with a ferrule puller is the best way. you can some times find new replacement ferrules of the typ you have on @#$%& and goldenwitch may have some to God Bless Jeff Rhonda and Kaya net pup

Date: January 10, 2009 12:24PM

Thanks all. Brownell's and Goldenwitch have pin punches with replaceable tips; I have to decide whether I want a tool or an heirloom.

I stumbled on an improvised ferrule puller - a spring loaded clothespin and channel locks. After heating to liquefy the glue, I place the clothespin on the ferrule as if the ferrule was the clothesline; I grab my pre-set channel locks and off it comes. I found a simple plan for a tool that I will make with a Google search of "ferrule puller tools you can make".

I had made the transition to an alcohol dental torch, sweet!

Posted by: Ken Preston (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: January 10, 2009 06:36PM

Be very happy that you noticed the pins! I've seen several bamboo rods turn to charcoal as people continually heated them up thinking it was glue holding the ferrules (and reel seats) in place only to find later that there were pins in there. Oh, the ferrule comes off ok - but the bamboo under the ferrule is toast. That's one reason you see so many 'odd length' bamboo rods for sale on @#$%& (one section shorter than the others by an inch or two) - plus of course broken / resectioned tips.

Posted by: john channer (---.228.186.40.Dial1.Denver1.Level3.net)
Date: January 11, 2009 10:57PM

Chris;
Save your money and go to the hardware store and get the smallest punch they have, probably about 5 bucks or less, take it home and grind or hone the end down to the size you need, all you have to do is either drive the pin below the thickness of the ferrule or out the other side just far enough to get ahold of it with a pair of side cutters.
john

Date: January 12, 2009 12:45PM

Good thought John. I have also received the off-line suggestion to drill out the pin using a Dremel type tool... a punch sounds less risky.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster