I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Rod Bond 10 Minute
Posted by: Fran Park (---.c21hecht.com)
Date: January 08, 2009 05:58PM

I'm getting ready to do a couple more rodbuilding classes, and I have been using 5 minute epoxy to glue up handles & seats quickly so we can move on in the class. I would like to try the new 10 minute Rod Bond in my next class. I always use the traditional Rod Bond when I build a rod, because I can allow for the time for it to cure. I don't have that much time in the class. Has anyone used this product? I'd love to read some of your thoughts on the setup time. How cured is it in 30 minutes? An hour?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Rod Bond 10 Minute
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: January 08, 2009 06:04PM

Unless it's quite cold, in an hour you should be able to handle the parts. In 2 hours, the assemblies are pretty much rock solid.

Something you could do - glue up a couple test assemblies such as you'll have in class using Quick Bond. Then try to move them after 30 minutes, an hour and an hour and a half. That will tell you exactly what you want to know.

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.nycmny.east.verizon.net)
Date: January 08, 2009 06:15PM

Fran I did exactly waht you are doing last week with teh 10 minute Rod Bond, I was able to glue up a EVA butt grip, ream out a FC arbor and instal a reel seat, have a discusiion on various ways to instal seats, and then mount the EVA foregrip. I don't know how lon git took, but it was a bit longer than 10 minutes. Good stuff, it's not 10 minute epoxy the way teh 5 minute epoxy is where it's ready to go in 5-10 minutes.

Posted by: Matt Davis (64.118.9.---)
Date: January 08, 2009 07:01PM

...agree with Billy...not 10 minute like Devon 5 minute is 5 minutes. Its longer than 10. Good stuff though and much quicker than the standard Rod Bond.

Better to have and not need than to need and not have.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: January 08, 2009 07:40PM

The "10-minute" part is the available working time, not the set or cure time.

Posted by: Robert Balcombe (---.rb2.gh.centurytel.net)
Date: January 08, 2009 11:47PM

I have used it it is great stuff. One thing to remember is, that if you have made a missalignment. You are stuck with it if you wait longer than a hour. While regular bond well let you correct aignments.
Good Wraps Bob

Posted by: PAUL FANNON (119.77.68.---)
Date: January 10, 2009 12:04AM

NO WAY !.

24 hour , super strength epoxy, or nothing.

In 37 years, I have never had a glue job come undone.

Paul

I fish therefore I am.
www.hookeduprods.com

Date: January 10, 2009 02:09AM

Ralph says the streangth of both bonds are about the same. I still use regular when glueing grip and reel seats. I use the 10 minute Bond when repareing grips or loose reelseats.
Good Wraps Bob

Posted by: Ted Culin (---.ptldor.fios.verizon.net)
Date: January 10, 2009 03:43AM

If I'm building up an arbor with dry wall tape for a large off shore reel seat - no way am I using 10 minute. Foam Grips, butt caps. pre-fit arbors, reamed cork maybe. I just don't need the stress

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: January 10, 2009 08:13AM

Cure time has NO effect whatsoever on strength. Talk to any epoxy formulator. That is a myth that just keeps hanging on!!!!

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Date: January 10, 2009 08:40AM

I agree with Mike, Ralph OQuinn who formulated both Rod Bond and th 10 min. Rod Bond said cure time has nothing to do with strength. I use the regular Rod bond because if I mess up I have time to correct the problem. I use the 10 minute Bond when I I am repairing loose grips or cork. What is important in strength is the materials used to make the bonding material.
Good Wraps Bob

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.nycmny.east.verizon.net)
Date: January 10, 2009 09:25AM

I think the fear people have is from using Devcon 5 minute epoxy, which is much weaker than Rod Bond or LAmar 10 & 15 minute epoxy. I agree, this stuff is more than strong enough for any rodbuilding application. If people are installing the entire handle at one time, for multiple rods - this is not a good idea to use. This is more of a hobby builder epoxy than a production style of epoxy.

Posted by: Fran Park (---.carolina.res.rr.com)
Date: January 11, 2009 08:15AM

Thanks for the input gentlemen. I too, like the consistency of Rod Bond over the five minute epoxy, but I need to give some thought to how much time I have for the grip/seat assembly during the first night of class. If I can use the 10 Minute RB, clamp the assembly for 30 minutes, and move on, it might work. Most of the fly rods in this class are 4 pc, so we could progress to learning to wrap on the other three sections while the handle assembly sets up.
For those of you that have tried RB 10, do you think 30 minutes in the clamp is enough to give the epoxy time to keep the assembly in place, as long as it sits a while longer out of the clamp?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster