I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Forhan Locking Wrap
Posted by: Jess Brindisi (---.dc.dc.cox.net)
Date: January 04, 2009 04:43PM

I've read and reread the tutorial in the Library section on the website. The one question I still have is this:

When doing the locking wraps, has the thread been removed from the thread carriage OR is the thread being wrapped with a fly tying bobbin?

I can't figure out how to keep tension on the thread while keeping the thread on the thread carriage on a PACBAY type wrapping machine(no spring to keep tension like on a Renzetti) and still complete the locking wraps without removing the thread??

Any pointers?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Forhan Locking Wrap
Posted by: Harold Dean (207.194.36.---)
Date: January 04, 2009 04:56PM

Jesster.

You wind your thread up to the base of the guide eye as normal. When you are at the base of the eye, and when the guide is at the top, you take the thread in your hand, and wrap it manually around the base of the guide eye. Then you make another revolution of the rod until the guide is at the top again, and repeat the process. Do this three times, and you have completed the forhan wrap. I then make a couple more wraps infront of the guide and that's it. I always insert my loop thread (tie off thread) in about three or four wraps before I start the Forhan procedure.

That should be it.

Cheers
Harold

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: January 04, 2009 05:10PM

You don't take it off the spool nor do you need a fly typing bobbin. Your fingers can take up and control any slack.

Posted by: cody delmere (---.dhcp.ftwo.tx.charter.com)
Date: January 04, 2009 08:22PM

i reach up and grab the thread with one hand and go around the guide leg.then you can continue rotating the rod while still holding the thread to take up the slack. or you can use your other hand to rewind the thread spool until its tight again. hope this helps

Posted by: Terry Turner (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: January 04, 2009 11:21PM

Jesster,

I find it easier to strip out some thread (about 12" or so) and just cut it, then continue the wrap. I'll try to explain, I have the same wrapper you do.

Insert the finish loop about 3 turns prior to the base of the guide.
Once you've wrapped to the base of the foot, hold the thread with your left index finger (wrapping left to right). Strip out about a foot of thread and cut it.
Make the blocking wraps under power, but hold the tag end with your right hand. Most of the time, the blocking wraps under the guide foot will be captured and you don't have to worry much about tension on the previous part of the wrap after blocking wraps.
Make the 2 or 3 locking wraps around the guide foot. Just maintain tension with your right hand on the tag end.
Make 2 or 3 more blocking wraps and you are done. Insert into the finish loop.

As Tom mentioned, you can leave the thread on the spool, and just take up the slack with your right hand. I find it's easier for me to do this with the thread cut and a long tag end.

Email if you have questions.

Terry

Posted by: Russ Pollack (---.org)
Date: January 05, 2009 09:54AM

I'm a little mystified by the "no spring to keep tension on" statement. The old-style PacBay carriage with the vertical spool holders has a tension wheel and the new ones (with the horizontal spool holders) use direct spring tension on the spool itself. Unless, of course, you're referring to the little spring hook affair that used to come on the old horizontal tensioners, which we always removed because they tended to shred the thread as it passed through.

But everyone's right - you con't need more than finger pressure to get the tension right for the locking loop.

Uncle Russ
Calico Creek Rods

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: January 05, 2009 09:55AM

He's talking about a "reverse tension spring."

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster