I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

rod color
Posted by: Jim Creed (---.int.bellsouth.net)
Date: January 04, 2009 01:27PM

I have a 9' what appears to be a boat rod, based on the type of guides. its in bad shape, chipped and scratched all over, no breaks into the fiberglass itself that I can see.
customer says it belonged to his dad and wants it refinished, getting the guides off was no problem, (amazing what a little heat will do)
Now my question or problem is its black but in several areas I am down to what appears to be the original color, resembles yellow.
do i take it down to that color all over, or smooth and repaint, and what type of paint should i use,
did not see anything in library that i can use, the volumns that may have what i am looking for i don't have.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: rod color
Posted by: Anonymous User (---.ptld.qwest.net)
Date: January 04, 2009 02:33PM

Jim if your customer wants it the same as it is now then feather sand the dings and lightly scuff the rest of the rod, paint with Krylon Plasticoat one or two light coats then a couple of coats of clear gloss, same brand. If you have the time let it sit about a month, I have found that's a good wait time then rebuild the rod, if you don't have that much time wait a least 3 days. Another way is to find an auto painter and get them to paint it with the new plastic auto paint, most of the time it gets very costly to do it this way. I'm sure other will chime in but thats the down and dirty of it.
You can also do a search here and get more reading and info.

Posted by: Jim Creed (---.int.bellsouth.net)
Date: January 04, 2009 02:45PM

thanks tim for the info, this is just a hobby and i only intend to charge for the supplies, I have all the time i need, but i will try the krylon method.
I am a long way from even considering charging for my work, this is something to do when i can't fish or need some relax time from work.

Posted by: Jim Gamble (---.187-72.tampabay.res.rr.com)
Date: January 04, 2009 02:56PM

I like to use the Krylon for Plastic to achieve the desired color, but I do the clear coat with Minwax Helmsman Spar Urethane (Clear Gloss). It is a trick that I learned from Pat Vinzant and it dries well, gets SUPER hard and it is a marine grade sealant ... holds up super and stays clear.

After prepping the blank, take it somewhere overspray isn't an issue and setup a "painting booth". A portable rod dryer (Pac Bay type) and a nice length of cardboard will do the trick. Poke a hole in BOTH ends of the "box". Put your dryer outside of the "box" and stick the rod into the chuck. Put the other end (tip) of the rod through the box (top 2-3") as well. Now turn on dryer and POOF ... instant spray booth with very little possibility of runs. Use light coats ... 3-4 light coats will do a MUCH better job than 1-2 heavier ones. Don't be overly concerned about a dry spot or two on the first pass ... you WILL eventually get good coverage from tip to toe.

BTW, there is no need to paint where the grips/reel seat will be ... as matter of fact, you will get better adhesion with the components if you don't. So build your "box" just to accommodate the length to actually be painted.

Have fun! Wear a breathing mask AND old clothes.

Posted by: Bill Eshelman (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: January 04, 2009 08:06PM

Jim,

I saw on a DVD a way to change the rod color, and I have never tried this so some one more experience please chime in.

I "think" you can mix up two part epoxy and mix the color pigment in the mixture adding a little pigment as needed. Then brush it onto the blank and then with a latex glove on your hand spread it as evenly as you can. You would then put it in your rod dryer. It should level it self as it does on your regular wrap. You would have to be able to mix enough epoxy to do this in one coat.

I doubt if you can do this on a casting rod or fly rod because of the added weight. I would think a boat rod it may be OK.

It seems this would prevent any chips from showing if the rod gets banged around.

Please, for those of you in the know set me straight if I am wrong.

this may not be the easiest method, just another idea.

Bill

Ohio Rod Builders

Canton, Ohio

Posted by: Joe McKishen (---.cmdnnj.fios.verizon.net)
Date: January 05, 2009 06:30PM

I'd be a little concerned with adhesion over the entire rod using epoxy, I think the painting method would work best so long as a flexible enough paint was used. I've done a few odd color rods simply using automotive acrylic paint with good results. I first did a one for myself as a test subject to see if it would hold up, then I gave one to a rather abusive buddy and the color has stayed on just fine. The key is to make sure the paint is well cured before continuing. I flex the rod a bit to make sure it's well adhered too. I've done a lot of older restorations that way with good results. Make sure you use a good quality paint, some cheap paints will fade and be very prone to softening with even the mildest of solvents. I ad a minimal amount of flex agent to the paint, not as much as I would if painting say a rubber car bumper but enough to allow some flex in the paint.
An old timer told me that he used lacquer to paint blanks years ago and never had a problem, he said that lacquer had better adhesion and bonded better to the fiberglass thus being less likely to lift of crack even though lacquer is a harder type finish. It also dries much faster.
I've not tried that myself, and lacquer is hard to find these days anyhow. It is very resistant to chemicals though and I would think it would self etch into the blank, but again, that would only be a tolerable result on a fairly heavy old glass boat rod.
Joe

(Also, Bill, I believe your quote in your signature was by Doug Larson of the Green Bay Gazette.)

Posted by: Bill Eshelman (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: January 05, 2009 07:43PM

Joe,
I Googled Doug Larson Green Bay Gazette. You are right!!! How did you know this??

I now give him credit in my signature.

Bill

Ohio Rod Builders

Canton, Ohio

Posted by: Joe McKishen (---.cmdnnj.fios.verizon.net)
Date: January 06, 2009 01:02AM

Someone a few years back had given me a plaque with that quote on it, it used to hang on my office wall. I left it there for my successor after I left.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster