I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

premium rod blanks
Posted by: Gavin Schar (---.telkom-ipnet.co.za)
Date: January 04, 2009 12:34AM

Compliments of the season to you all.

If you had your choice of a premium 3wt rod what rod would you build on and why?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: premium rod blanks
Posted by: Wayne Hofer (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: January 04, 2009 01:27AM

Sage Z-Axis, 4 pc.

Why?
Lightweight blank
Coupled with the REC Recoil sf guides, it is a wonderful action, excellent casting machine
Beautiful dark green blank

Posted by: Michael Joyce (---.hsd1.nh.comcast.net)
Date: January 04, 2009 01:53AM

The most expensive of course. Hence the word "premium". I'd probablly talk to the elite bamboo builders and go for a more natural and traditional approach for the blank. Can they build a 3wt out of bamboo stalk? Building a blank from raw bamboo is craftsmenship to the tenth degree that doesnt see alot of interest on this site in the age of graphite and glass scrims. When your presenting a handcrafted fly in a small brook or stream for a "not the steelhead" type of fish, I'd reach out for tradition and Issac Walton(?) kind of class.

The vendors to the left also carry 3wts...pick the lightests and most expensive....its a 3 wt fly rod, it aint rocket science.

(search issac walton and zaphod breeeblebox....you might get it)

NERB that types with a bar of Ivory soap in his mouth.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/04/2009 02:12AM by Michael Joyce.

Posted by: Jeff Shafer (---.phlapa.east.verizon.net)
Date: January 04, 2009 08:07AM

Revised

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/04/2009 08:01PM by Jeff Shafer.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: January 04, 2009 09:06AM

Actually, a rod that has "3-weight" written on the label is indeed a "3-weight" rod, at some distance. That's the problem - any rod will cast any line at some distance. So whatever line weight designation the maker puts on the rod, is correct, at some distance. They just don't tell you what distance they've listed that line weight for.

A rod with and ERN of 3.5 won't necessarily be the best for casting a 3-weight line. It all depends on the distance involved in your cast. If you plan to fish very small streams with a 3-weight line, and cast no more than perhaps 10 to 20 feet, then a rod with an ERN of 2 to 2.5 would be better.

"Premium" isn't something you can find by price alone. There are many blanks on the market today that cost very little, but perform in the "premium" class. Particulary in the shorter lengths.

Posted by: sam fox (208.74.247.---)
Date: January 04, 2009 09:15AM

Take a look at the Dan Craft FT-904 or FT-846, I,ve built on the 904 and would put it up against any of the other premium blanks both in value for your money and performance. Just my opinion.

Posted by: kerry evans (---.dyn.centurytel.net)
Date: January 04, 2009 09:50AM

In the last year, I've built eight Dan Craft FT 863-4 blanks and two three weight FTL's. My own 3wt FT I use a four wt line. The two FTL's I built for customers I cast with 3 wt lines and they were VERY nice to cast with

Posted by: Paul Enston (---.187.48.120.porchlight.ca)
Date: January 04, 2009 01:53PM

Try the Batson RX6 Forecast 7' 9" 3 wt. An excellent small stream fly rod at a very low price. Also try the Batson RX7 Rainshadow 9' 3 wt. The Rainshadow costs a bit more but I found this rod throws a 3 wt. distance taper very well.

Posted by: Eugene Moore (---.244.211.133.Dial1.StLouis1.Level3.net)
Date: January 04, 2009 02:28PM

Thomas and Thomas Paradigm 8 foot 2-piece
Wonderful casting rod nothing comes close

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (65.197.242.---)
Date: January 04, 2009 02:30PM

The Lamiglas Apalachain XMG 50 blanks would be on my list of 3 wts. I too have always enjoyed the Dan Craft Sig III and FTL 3 wts.

Posted by: Cody Vickers (---.dsl.ltrkar.sbcglobal.net)
Date: January 04, 2009 08:10PM

I agree with Tom, Of course he knows way more than me. But, On the price is not necessarily the issue point, I have found that the price of the blank is not really relevant. I have an 8' 3 wt that was sold as a four, has an ERN of about 3.2 according to my sketchy measurements, casts well between 35 and 60 feet and has a mod-fast action, best part, the rod weighs 2.3 ounces and I paid 23 dollars for the blank after shipping. It was my first build and I still love the rod. I also have a 9' 7wt that is built on a 240.00 blank that I absolutely hate. the blank weighs over 2 ounces, has ZERO sensitivity (you cannot feel it load, but it is loading) fairly fast action, and if you watch your line it will cast as far as you want. With 50 feet of line out you still can't feel it load. Tried an 8 wt line and it is slightly better but won't cast as well. Anyway off the rod I hate, sorry. Tom is right, and I am sure he is right on his point about distance as well, he tends to know his stuff.

So, If I wanted a 3wt rod I would get the one I got, If I were going to get a premium I would get a Sage TXL becaus I think they are wonderful, but I have only cast one at a shop, can't afford one.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster