I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Shikari Blanks
Posted by: James Willard (208.46.72.---)
Date: January 03, 2009 06:04PM

I have practically lived at all of the sponsors on the left's site except for the versitex website for some reason. After spending a significant amount of time and then some on there I have found the Shikari blanks to be quite intriguing. They seem very moderately priced for what they are. But as I have unfortunately found in recent dealings, I can't trust what a supplier's site or a manufacturers description says completely.

So I have two questions for everyone, the first is, has anybody used any Shikari blanks and if so which ones and what do you think of them.

Second, I don't know if this is allowed, so I guess tell me and I will edit it out if necessary, but I have recently found a supplier other than all of the suppliers/sponsors here on the left whose sites it seems I live on. That site has these blanks and lamiglas blankson sale for ridiculously cheap and would like to know if anybody has had any dealings with them and if so if you would refer them to another builder. The supplier is "The Rod Room"

As always thank you for all of your help.
James

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Shikari Blanks
Posted by: robert smith (---.hsd1.pa.comcast.net)
Date: January 03, 2009 06:14PM

Yep, the Shikari's WERE great blanks. But since they ceased being produced about 2 years ago i would say any business that still has them on they're website needs to get a new webmaster. You can still find some around but they are few and far between, especially the really great ones like the SHX blanks and the guys who have those hoard them like gold.

Good luck.

rs

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/03/2009 06:15PM by robert smith.

Date: January 03, 2009 06:33PM

Robert, would you mind un-blocking your e-mail or sending me an e-mail so I could talk to you privately about this further?
Thanks
James

Posted by: Robert Russell (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: January 03, 2009 06:59PM

I've got a few and I really like them. Mine are probably seconds and not the best quality finish (I bought them second hand from a member here), but the first I built for myself fishes great. I'd be interested in more if you've found a source James.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: January 03, 2009 07:03PM

1sts quality Shikari blanks don't exist, at least not in even small numbers from dealers. A few builders may have some stashed back but that would be about it.

Posted by: John Martines (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: January 03, 2009 07:14PM

Toms right, The Shakari blanks at Versitex are mostly factory seconds. There are a few "perfect" blanks left standing there. I picked up a SW-1009 Shakari and while they are real nice it's a heavy blank (weight wise). From what I understand ATC bought the Shakari mandrals and they continued making simialar blanks as Shakari. ATC is also no more at this time either, although I'm told some blanks can still be had.

Date: January 03, 2009 07:19PM

ATC was sourcing their blanks from overseas.

Date: January 03, 2009 07:21PM

That I did not know! I thought that ATC was USA. made! Interesting!! We are taliking about Advanced Tubular Composites ATC right?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/03/2009 07:24PM by John Martines.

Date: January 03, 2009 07:41PM

I pretty much take Tom's word as gospel but I just thought that I would let you all know that I did check to see the last day that the site was updated and it was today. So I don't think that it is just an old abandoned site. I am going to call them on Monday to ask what condition they are in because I ordered 6 blanks 3 Shikari SHX and 3 Lamiglas XMG-50's. I got all of this for $211.65 before tax and then I priced it on one of my normal sites and they would all cost $755.74 before tax. It gets even better because shipping on all of these blanks all over 6' is only $14.50. For that kind of money, I think seconds would even be ok. The order of blanks I made before the last ended up being all scratched up (not supposed to be) so I have had to learn how to paint blanks and have done 3 so far and have 3 more left. So far they seem pretty awesome, we will see though. If anything is wrong with them besides just finish problems I will cancel the order.
James

Posted by: Russ Pollack (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: January 03, 2009 08:51PM

James - We have some of the "original" Shikari's and they are indeed a very nice blank, and yes, ours are "stashed" for our customers.

There were also some at the SHow about two years ago but these were "seconds". There was a big sale on them at one point a while back but it generated a whole lot of negative stuff on this BBS because (a) buyers apparently didn't read the whole add or announcement or didn't call the vendor first to ask questions and (b) the blanks were indeed unfinished "seconds".

I've dealt with Rod Room and if you'll email me directly I'll discuss it with you - I don't think Tom wants that kind of thing on this BBS because they aren't sponsors.

Uncle Russ
Calico Creek Rods

Posted by: Chuck Mills (---.gctel.stellarllc.net)
Date: January 03, 2009 08:56PM

Russ, if you are talking about a place in the east that starts with M, I read the whole add that they sent me by email. There was zero mention of factory seconds.

Chuck

Date: January 03, 2009 09:19PM

Versitex has alot of seconds mostly unmarked fresh water stuff. The tips might have been cut or the butts aren't perfect, I have picked up a bunch and they make nice rods. As for the first rate Shakari blanks they might have a few. I have been thru that place so many times, You would be surprised what you might find! Some stuff on the web site isn't still available, the inventory hasn't been checked against what they have in other words, but you never know.

Date: January 03, 2009 09:45PM

The blanks Russ mentions were not in any way "unfinished seconds." Not even close.

According to Shikari, they were "junk" blanks and had been destined for the trash bin but were instead sold to a scrap dealer (by the pound) who then resold them to a component supplier. There was some definite mis-representation in how they were then marketed.

Posted by: Rob Hale (---.northstate.net)
Date: January 03, 2009 10:07PM

The blanks which Russ, Chuck and Tom have mentioned were advertised as "normally selling for between $85 and $125" which inferred that they were first quality blanks on sale. But they weren't firsts, or seconds, or even thirds. Calls to Shikari confirmed what they really were which I think Tom mentioned above.

This is why I like dealing with the sponsors on this board. Tom does a pretty good job of weeding out the ones that misrepresent things or take advantage of the builders. I know he can't and won't police every order and that's not his job, but any company that develops a pattern of less than up front dealings goes bye-bye from the sponsor list. Most boards just want the sponsor money and would never send anybody packing. Things are different here. If a company can stay on the list then you have a good idea that they're okay.

One thing though, just because a company isn't listed in the sponsor column here does NOT mean there is anything wrong with them. They may have their own reasons for not advertising here as sponsors. I have dealt with a few non sponsors and gotten excellent service and results. But I do try to support the sponsors who advertise here. I always give them first shot at my business.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/03/2009 10:14PM by Rob Hale.

Date: January 03, 2009 10:24PM

Thank you everyone. That all makes perfect sense, and i will make sure to talk with the supplier about the condition before I order. Even so I am sure that you guys are right, it is highly unlikely that blanks that all of you speak fairly reverently about would be for sale from a supplier for less than a third of what the first quality pieces go for unless they are of a lesser quality. And whether I get these closeout cheap ones or not, I think that I might have to try to con Russ out of one from his stash. lol. Thanks again everyone, you guys have once again given great advice, most of it common sense, but when a person thinks that they found a deal they do not always use their head. Thanks again guys.
James

Posted by: Thomas Kaufmann (---.t1.cavtel.net)
Date: January 04, 2009 10:42AM

James, I still have a couple of their freshwater blanks that I could let go. If you have a particular model in mind shoot me an email and I will rummage through what I have at the house tomorrow when I get home from work.

thanks
Tom

Posted by: Jeff Friend (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: January 04, 2009 03:11PM

James, I have approx. 50 of the good blanks left, from 7' to 8'. I also have some of the good ATC blanks left.
Jeff

Date: January 04, 2009 06:16PM

Excellent guys, let me decide which ones I want the most and I will definately shoot you guys an e-mail. Thanks, I don't know where I would be without this board, probably pulling my hair out,... well more so than now. lol
James

Date: January 04, 2009 08:24PM

Jeff,
I could not access your e-mail so I will just ask you on here. By any chance to you have any of the following that you might be willing to let go of and if so which and how much would you be willing to take for them? PMB664, PMB663, IMB703, ISJ663, IP702, or IWR--7000. I would appreciate it, thanks.
James

Posted by: Thomas Kaufmann (---.t1.cavtel.net)
Date: January 04, 2009 09:44PM

Off the top of my head, I do know that I have some of the 663's however they are the MB... meaning the lowest level that they made. I have used up all of the 7000's that I had. sorry...

Tom

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster