I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Harnell Blanks
Posted by: Jess Brindisi (---.dc.dc.cox.net)
Date: January 02, 2009 10:48PM

Greetings
I just posted 2 pictures of Harnell Blanks that I am trying to get information on. I am trying to get the original thread colors and the original guide styles that would've been put on these rods when they were new.

Does anyone know any history on Harnell?

[www.rodbuilding.org]

[www.rodbuilding.org]

Thanks in advance.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Harnell Blanks
Posted by: James(Doc) Labanowski (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: January 02, 2009 11:07PM

They had two combinations. One was 209 plain gudebrod with 326 Plain Gudebrod over, the other wasy 209 pain gudebrod under with 358 plain gudebrod over. For quite a while they used Varmac reel seats and guides they they used Perfection WCGs or WCGRs

Posted by: Rodney Unruh (---.240.203.156.swiftkenya.com)
Date: January 03, 2009 09:41AM

This is a timely post as I was just given a rod in ill-repair with no identifying marks except the Varmac reel seat(Varmac RS-3). However from the pictures posted it looks to be very similar. It has two reel seat/grips, one with a gimbal and one with a rubber butt cap. The overall length is 77", the tip diameter is about 3/8th of an inch and the butt of the rod measured in front of the cork foregrip is about 5/8ths of an inch across. There are no guides or tip top on it and it looks to be solid fiberglass.

What type/use of rod is this and what would you recommend for guides and top (size and style).

Thanks! Rodney

Posted by: James(Doc) Labanowski (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: January 03, 2009 12:12PM

Hi Rodney. Not sure what you have. The Harringtons did not produce Solid glass rods. They were tubular fiberblass thought they were made on mandrels that were quite thin. They are know for greater than normal wall thicknes and the taper of their blanks was determined by the shape they cut their patterns.

It sounds like we out here used to refer to as a Boat rod. I know that is pretty non discript but without seeing the plank it is hard to say anything else. If you are looking at rebuilding it to match up with the Varmac RS you might consider Perfection SS guides and maybe a Mildrum carbaloy top which was the style in the age of the dinasour(I know that age well) If you want to up date it they there are hundreds of options that you can consider depending on the action of the blank.

Posted by: jack richardson (---.virtdom.com)
Date: January 03, 2009 01:06PM

JESTER : -
I have a "HARNELL" rod (original) - - 9 ft. - - 2 pc. - - surf rod. I bought it several years ago.
Its black in color. -- - has a metal chrome plated reel seat like a "Jarmac" -- - white
composite handle and foregrip. - - - The guide wraps were O.K. but showed some wear; so
I decided to remove them and re-wrap with original colors. The guides are "Perfection"
WCGR. - - - for thread I used "Gudebrod" #209 (Goldenrod) for underwraps; and
#326 ( Scarlet ) for guide wraps; as these colors matched the decorative butt wrap.
I have no idea if I will ever use it; as here on Chesapeke Bay almost all fishing is done by boat.
For fishing from shore spinning rods are usually used. For surf fishing per se it would neccesary
to go about 70 miles EAST to the shore of the Atlantic Ocean. - - - -
Maybe this will help; hope so.
HERES WISHING FOR GOOD FISHING

jocko

Posted by: Jess Brindisi (---.dc.dc.cox.net)
Date: January 03, 2009 02:20PM

Would you be able to snap a shot of the decorative butt wrap to give me an idea of what the design is? Shoot me an email if possible.

Posted by: Rodney Unruh (---.240.203.156.swiftkenya.com)
Date: January 03, 2009 02:29PM

Hey Doc, Thanks for the info, that is a starting point. Not sure if you meant to say "plank" or "blank", but plank is not a bad description for this rod. This type of rod is a whole new animal for me as all of my rods to date have been fly rods and almost all of my fishing has been freshwater. As far as the action of the blank is concerned, long before I can get to the 1/3 flex point, it is bending all the way to the foregrip. On boat rods, or the new ones using rollers? What kind of reels and line are used? And I assume you are not really casting, but more trolling. Is that correct?

I not sure what I am going to do with it as I don't live all that close to the ocean and don't have access to (affordable) blue water fishing. This might have to be a future project.

Rodney

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster