I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Ugly Stick
Posted by: Russ Pollack (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: January 02, 2009 12:10PM

Had an interesting discussion the other night at a party. A big ol' boy, having been told the we built custom rods, wanted to know if we did catfish rods. I said we did. He wanted to know prices and I gave him a starting range. He didn't blink. I knew right then I was in trouble.

Then he said "is it as good as an Ugly Stick? - I mean, can you bend it so the tip will touch the butt and won't break?". I asked him how he normally fought his fish and he said his average 40-pounder would "get under the boat but I can could just put that ol' Ugly Stick down there and it'll bend right around the bottom of the boat". He spools those 6000-size reels with as much 100lb as he can get on them 'cause "those cats really run and no rod will stop them"

I told him to go buy an Ugly Stick and be happy.

Uncle Russ
Calico Creek Rods

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Ugly Stick
Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: January 02, 2009 01:01PM

Some custom builders may give different advice - forty pounds is a whimp!

[www.rodbuilding.org]

Posted by: Scott Donley (---.propel.com)
Date: January 02, 2009 02:08PM

i wonder if anyone knows of an ugly-stick that actually failed ? I use an old ugly-stick flippin rod to speed troll huge crank baits for musky for over 20 yrs..It is stiff enough not to double over from the drag of the bait at 5 or 6 mph.I have had high speed hang ups or snags that would snap lesser cheap rods(drag setting is critical when using this method).been there done that. BUT it is like a utility pole with guides.in fact,my fishing buddy calls it ''the phone pole".I know i have lost fish because of its lack of shock absorption and inability to keep a tight line during the fight.If anyone knows of an alternative blank that would better suit this style of fishing,im all ears or i guess in this case all eyes?

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: January 02, 2009 02:41PM

They're very tough, but at the price of weight and a very slow reaction and recovery rate. But, in some cases, they fill the bill.

Posted by: Joe McKishen (---.cmdnnj.fios.verizon.net)
Date: January 02, 2009 06:10PM

I've seen three broken Ugly sticks come in the shop here, one was a super heavy Ugly Stick Tiger series, (the mustard color ones), it had broke clean off about 4 inches above the fore grip. The guy said he had a Penn 9500SS on it spooled with 100lb Power Pro, the fish took a dive at the boat bringing the rod against the aluminum gunwale and it snapped right off.
Another was a medium weight spin rod about 7' long which lost its tip right about where it turns clear, and another that broke about midway and sort of just splintered but didn't completely break. They replaced all three with not even a question about how old they were. All were badly abused in my opinion, but pretty much the only rod I'd sell to that type of customer.
From what I see, the worst abusers are bridge fishermen, I've seen some nasty breaks mostly from lifting huge fish 20 feet in the air or fighying a fish that's gone under the bridge.

There are some types of fishing and certain types of fishermen that simply are better off with an Ugly Stick, Daiwa Beefstick, or one of those Cabelas Whipping Sticks they used to sell. The Pinnacle Power Tip rods are also good abuser rods. I've yet to have one of those break either.
I have one guy that has me order 50-80lb class Daiwa Beefstick rods and 4/0 reels for black drum and tog fishing. He'll buy a dozen or more a year. They never come back, he just keeps buying more. I saw one of them once, the rod had been worn almost completely through about a foot above the handle. He said that was from the concrete bridge wall. He fishes them till they "Look weak" and then gets out a new one. He said he's pulled in 25lb fish right up onto the bridge with the rod worn halfway through.

Several have asked about custom rods but I've always told them that they're better off with the el cheapo solid rods or Ugly Sticks for that type of fishing.
I have had a few guys that just had me custom wrap new guides on old solid glass blanks, just to personalize their rods.
There's no rod made that can take dragging up and down the corner of a concrete barrier or slamming down against the side of a boat, at least not for long.

I can't count how many broken high end rods I've seen in here, let alone how many really nice custom or OEM sticks that come in looking like they were run over or dragged down the road a few times.

Catfishing is something that's just gaining popularity here, with larger fish being found just lately in the rivers,

Posted by: Paul Rotkis (---.gci.net)
Date: January 02, 2009 07:14PM

Russ..

I would have told him the same thing. Guys have asked me to build them trolling rods here in AK with the same comparison as that guy did to you. And ya know, you could have talked that guy till he was blue in the face trying to convince him. And by the time you were done, his opinion would still be the same. I've seen it time in and time out!

Take care,

Paul

Posted by: Raymond Adams (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: January 02, 2009 08:14PM

I have a few old friends and family members that won't fish with anything else but an Ugly-Stik.
I have been fortunate enough to find a few U/S blanks and have custom built 4 of them just
for my "special" people. I'm always looking for those older Ugly-Stik & Fenwick blanks as they
make for some very happy people when they open my presents.

Raymond Adams
Eventually, all things merge, and a river runs through it..

Posted by: cliff plummer (---.home3.cgocable.net)
Date: January 02, 2009 08:59PM

this is a funny thread... ugly sticks are just what the name implies... ugly.. i have broken 3 myself and i rate them as garbage rods.. no blank is unbreakable but some people just don't get it i suppose...

Posted by: Russ Pollack (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: January 02, 2009 11:29PM

Bill, you're right - because I've done 60lbs a number of times and 100lbs once or twice. Not that unusual depending on where you are. But I didn't want to rain on his parade.

Joe, I've got a BASS guy who broke the tips of four Pinnacle sticks this summer and fall, all from high-sticking.

Uncle Russ
Calico Creek Rods

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster