I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Photo Board
Posted by: Rob Hale (---.northstate.net)
Date: December 30, 2008 09:49AM

I notice that in the last few days the large photos are going up again. Some as large as 2500 pixels. All is well?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Photo Board
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: December 30, 2008 09:57AM

All has been well. The photo page has not had any problems, ever.

I've explained this before. The route your upload takes to get to the photo page server won't be the same as that which someone else's upload takes. Depending on the traffic, which is heavy this time of year, large files may not make it. They'll "time out" and your browser will give you an error message. This situation comes and goes depending on the time of year and internet traffic. It's not any sort of problem or change within the photo page.

The maximum allowable size is 2500 pixels square, but I am going to reduce that to about 1500 pixels square. The larger sizes don't display any larger or with any more resolution. They take up and waste server space. The optimum size for photo uploads is about 800 to 1000 pixels square. And even down to about 600 pixels square you don't lose anything.

Posted by: Rob Hale (---.northstate.net)
Date: December 30, 2008 09:59AM

Understood. I haven't tried any uploads so I didn't know.

Posted by: Rohit Lal (---.riv12.nsw.optusnet.com.au)
Date: December 30, 2008 10:10AM

Tom
What is the trick to upload from a URL, does this tranfer the image to your server as well or is it like using hotlinked. I put a URL to one of my pics on a photobucket account in the URL field but it didnt work

Date: December 30, 2008 10:13AM

Photobucket uploads don't work very well with any of the various photopages. At least not all the time. The site has to go "retrieve" the image from Photobucket and this doesn't always go smoothly.

The best thing is simply to upload the photo file direct from your computer.

Date: December 30, 2008 10:20AM

Ok, cool. Interestingly the comments section accepts hotlinks, this is great for more shots of the same rod as it doesn't chew up your bandwidth

Date: December 30, 2008 11:12AM

It is better to just put the photos up on the page where they're designed to go - hot links appear as photos and eat up even more bandwidth. The comments section is not for photos.

Date: December 30, 2008 11:33AM

Most of the images on the 7 websites that I host are hotlinked from photobucket and image shack and has been a great resource to save my servers bandwidth but I am happy to adhere to your rules in any case

Date: December 30, 2008 01:09PM

Putting hot links in the comments section puts photos into an area of the site that wasn't really designed for them and it slows down the loading of the comments section terribly. If you're going to put the photos up, put them in the photo section - that's where they should go. Thanks.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster