I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Applying epoxy to thread wraps
Posted by: James Smith (---.rochester.res.rr.com)
Date: December 27, 2008 08:06PM

Thanks in advance everyone. One of the posts in response to Scott's trouble with bubbles got me thinking about this. I have built a few rods for my own use, and expect o keep building more. I have settled on using Flexcoat epoxy and CP. I have a Flex Coat 18 rpm motor that I use when applying epoxy and turning rods to cure. How do you regularly get a good application of epoxy on wraps near guide feet, especailly larger guide feet which seem to push a brush or spatula blade out of the way before I get epoxy on the threads. I can fill the guide foot tunnel with epoxy using a steel bodkin, but always seem to have trouble getting a clean, application of epoxy where the thread warps, guide foot and exposed rod blank converge.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Applying epoxy to thread wraps
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: December 27, 2008 09:29PM

Turn the rod by hand while you're applying the finish. That allows you to stop it and dab finish into the nooks and crannies.

One word of advice, however, don't waste time on these areas on the first go around. Mix your epoxy and get it on the wraps - move on. Once all the wraps have been coated, you have plenty of time to return to each wrap and put a drop here or there to touch in any dry areas or places you missed.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: December 27, 2008 10:03PM

James,
Add an off and on foot switch to your 18 rpm finish motor.
That way, when needed, stop your motor, put on the finish in the nooks and crannies, and then put the pedal to the metal again.

When done getting the finish on, put it on your slow dryer and go over each guide with a gentle source of heat to insure that everything is smooth, bubble free, and straight edges.

You will find that the addition of the foot pedal will really help your finishing efforts to make them much easier.

I do like the high speed finish motor to quickly get the finish on the guides.

Take care
Roger

Date: December 27, 2008 10:06PM

p.s.
If the foot pedal that you add to your motor is momentary, you might also add a bypass switch as well to your motor.
i.e. put in a switch to leave the motor on all of the time, or in the other position enable the foot switch. A simple single pole double pole switch will take care of that.

Otherwise, a push on, push off foot pedal will do this function as well.

I prefer the momentary foot pedal though, because it gives the motor smoother and quicker stop/start action.

Take care
REW

Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: December 28, 2008 07:36AM

Flex Coat slip clutch - touch stop and start

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.150.popsite.net)
Date: December 29, 2008 02:33AM

You don't need all that stuff. A quick turner for nice edges, after putting your finish on -- then stop the dryer, turn by hand, fix any boo boo's. When all looks OK, turn the motor back on. ----- Then leave it alone !!!
O ya, make sure you have good light to see what you are doing. A hand rest also helps a lot.

Bill - willierods.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/29/2008 02:36AM by bill boettcher.

Date: December 29, 2008 02:04PM

Bill,
You are right.
However, half the fun is making the machines to do the job.

Take care
Roger

Posted by: James Smith (134.179.104.---)
Date: December 30, 2008 02:35PM

Thanks everyone!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster