I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Cork cutting jig
Posted by: John Kepka (---.dsl.stlsmo.swbell.net)
Date: December 27, 2008 12:43PM

I searched all the years and saw what folks were doing for cutting cork. I did not see any jigs available for slicing thin pieces of cork for sale currently so what are you guys using for slicing cork in a repeatable reproduceable and consistant manner? I found my jig from years ago but it is for pie cuts not slices. I am not a fan of using wire or monafilament line. I have lathes and drill presses availble as well as miter saw and a band saw which I would rule out because of a new blade etc. I have to find the rodmaker issue that has the vacuum jig--hopefully I can find it. Right now I would just like to do it fairly simply. The thin cork and burl is not always available when needed from the vendors.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Cork cutting jig
Posted by: Jim Gamble (---.187-72.tampabay.res.rr.com)
Date: December 27, 2008 12:55PM

Call Bob McKamey at Custom Tackle (list on left). He is the only one I am aware of that has top shelf jigs, both checkerboard and sectional.

Posted by: Gavin Schar (---.telkom-ipnet.co.za)
Date: December 27, 2008 01:46PM

also give the boys at merick tackle a call i got mine from them recently.

Date: December 27, 2008 01:48PM

Custom tackle website shows a pie cut jig not a slicer.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: December 27, 2008 02:13PM

There was a slicer tool in RodMaker about 2 years ago.

Date: December 27, 2008 02:32PM

I am rounding up where I put my back issues-hopefully I will find them soon. I guess that would be vol 9. nope found it in vol 8-5.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/27/2008 02:48PM by John Kepka.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: December 27, 2008 02:45PM

John,
Call custom tackle.
The nice aluminum cork cutting jig does an excellent job of cutting both slices as well as cutting pie shapes.
The tool of choice for this jig is a jewelers saw - with a blade width of .010 inches. This width is the perfect fit for the jig.
If you had a band saw blade that was that thin, you could use the jig on its side and use the band saw for it as well.

Take care
Roger

Posted by: Donald Newenhouse (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: December 27, 2008 02:52PM

Jonh K-- The vaccum cork cutting jig your looking for is in Rod Maker volume-8 issue-5.Also if you go to the photo page click onto equipment and tools,go to the top right on search and type in cork slicing jig and search all.You'll find two others you might be interested in.Hope this helps!
Good luck<<<<DON>>>>

OOps John had to go to the door before I submitted,see that you had already found the issue.maybe the other two photos might help as well..

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/27/2008 02:59PM by Donald Newenhouse.

Posted by: Jim Gamble (---.187-72.tampabay.res.rr.com)
Date: December 27, 2008 04:19PM

John -

Bob's website is completely out-of-date. There was a reason that I recommended giving him a call. He does sell both forms of jig AND I am sure that he will be bringing a supply of them to High Point again this year ... but they do NOT last for very long. They are custom built and they will last you a lifetime.

Jim -

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: December 27, 2008 04:35PM

For anyone using the blue cork jigs, Scrap the jeweler saw idea. They are ridiculously difficult and fragile. There is ONE saw that is on the market that is perfect!! It has a .010 thickness straight teeth (no offset) and works perfect, just fitting in the slots It is the only one that anyone has been able to find that fits! It has the added advantage of being able to cut wood & acrylic. [www3.towerhobbies.com]

[www.rodbuilding.org]

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/27/2008 05:02PM by Mike Barkley.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: December 27, 2008 10:46PM

Here are some nice pictures off another forum of slicing jigs.

[www.rodbuildingforum.com]

Take care
Roger

Posted by: Andy Jones (---.gsp.bellsouth.net)
Date: December 27, 2008 11:12PM

I have some pictures of a cork slicing jig that I made. My jig will turn a 1/2" ring in to (2) 1/8" and (1) 3/16" rings.

Photos are on the photo page under my name.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/28/2008 08:10AM by Andy Jones.

Posted by: John Kepka (---.dsl.stlsmo.sbcglobal.net)
Date: December 28, 2008 01:17PM

HI
please send email with the URL--invalid.

Posted by: Torin Koski (---.hsd1.co.comcast.net)
Date: December 28, 2008 01:46PM

I got a cork slicing jig from Golden Witch several years ago. Could have easily made it though! It too is a vacuum style jig, but I've found that the cork rings rotate and occasionally slip out using the vacuum, so I've abandoned the vacuum for double stick carpet tape. Time consuming placing carpet tape on cork rings, but it ensures that the rigs are not rotaing or slipping out. Oh, and I use a band saw to slice all of my cork rings - much cleaner than any hand slicing jigs I've attempted to use. For me the band saw is second only to the lathe for tools necessary for making grips.

Posted by: John Kepka (---.dsl.stlsmo.sbcglobal.net)
Date: December 29, 2008 09:22AM

CTS does not currently have a cork slicer.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster