I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

guide spaceing and number of guides for a 16ft. spey rod
Posted by: James Henry (---.yak.clearwire-dns.net)
Date: December 26, 2008 11:39PM

I am trying to get a rough idea for guide spacing and number of guides for a 16ft. CTS Spey rod. I have built several shorter Spey rods but can't seem to find the guide number and spaceing that I like. Your help in tnis matter will be put to good use. Thank you

Keep your fly in the water

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: guide spaceing and number of guides for a 16ft. spey rod
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: December 27, 2008 08:59AM

I would think you'd need about 14 to 17 guides total and would find them by a static distribution test as outlined on the library page.

Date: December 27, 2008 11:10AM

Thank you for the info, The problem is room for the static distribution test. I live in centrail WA. and we have a lot of snow and cold and I hve to go outside for this test on a 16ft. rod.
thank you. Has anyone built a 16ft spey rod and if so do you remember the spaceing that you used? This will be a starting point for my guides. I am sure that some will have to be moved for this blank.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: December 27, 2008 11:28AM

Right, I understand.

Here's an idea - take a photograph from one of the commercial rod maker's catalogs of their 16 footer (if they show their rods full length or in sections). Plot the guides from tip to but by measuring and recording those measurements.

Now find something on that rod, the seat perhaps, that you have a known ful size length for. Work up a ratio from the length in the photo to the known full size length. Say the seat in the photo is 1/2 inch long and you know the full size length of that seat is 5 inches. That gives you a ratio of photo size to actual size that you can now use to figure out the guide spacing used by that maker. Should be a decent starting point.

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.235.78.157.Dial1.Orlando1.Level3.net)
Date: December 27, 2008 12:37PM

I would suggest two big, husky guides at least to carry your 16' rod to the river.

Date: December 27, 2008 02:28PM

Thanks guys I have a two wheel trailer that I think will work great or I will call you to help me get it to the river. You can underhand spey cast it if you like.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: December 27, 2008 03:09PM

James,
Don't make this too complicated.
I assume that the rod is a multi section rod.
You can easily disassemble the rod, and load each section individually to get a good feel for the overall loaded shape of each section.

Really, the only thing one has to do, when figuring guide location and spacing is to put a guide where the rod bend and just enough of them so that the line will follow the curve of the loaded rod.
I have built quite a few longer rods of the type that you are making.
Too many folks make the mistake of putting too many guides on the rod.
On most of these spay rods, one only needs a guide about every 1 1/2 feet or so for the first several guides to have the line follow the heavier butt section.
Then, as the tip lightens, the guide spacing will follow the more common closer spacing.
It is likely in the first 8 feet - with 2 feet of reel seat and handle you will only have about 3 guides. Then, put on the right number of guides for the last 8 feet.

Tape the guides in place, have someone sit on the floor in a room long enough to have the rod full length, run the line through the guides, have someone put the rod to the ceiling and then you can pull the end of the line down to the floor to load the rod and insure that your spaciing is correct and you have the right number of guides on the rod.

Most houses and shops have some area that is 16 feet long.

Take care
Roger

Posted by: Bob Meiser (---.dhcp.mdfd.or.charter.com)
Date: December 27, 2008 11:49PM

If it is an Affinity or DH series <> 4 pc try this:

From the tip top with the sections assembled.

In inches

Bob Meiser

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster