I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Question about wrapping guides
Posted by: Jon Sanders (---.119.20.98.dynamic.ip.windstream.net)
Date: December 26, 2008 10:12PM

Ok, now that I've got my first rod done I've noticed that some of my wraps have come loose around the ends. What causes this? Is it just a matter of too little tension? Because they all looked tight before I put my epoxy on. Just wondering. Thanks for the help guys.

~Jon

There is certainly something in angling that tends to produce a serenity of the mind

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Question about wrapping guides
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: December 26, 2008 10:14PM

Not using enough tension.

Not making enough wraps over the starting tag end.

Not putting your tie-off loop in early enough.

Any or all of the above.

Posted by: les cline (---.dsl.kscymo.swbell.net)
Date: December 26, 2008 11:04PM

Maybe if you described your wrapping process it would help us help you see where the problem is.

Les

Date: December 26, 2008 11:44PM

I start by wrapping the thread over the blank twice, then I cross the thread over itself and rotate the blank until it crosses itself again. Then I complete 5 or 6 wraps over the tag end before I cut it. I put my tie off loop in about 5 or 6 wraps before I'm done. There were a few times when my tie off loop broke off before I got the tag end through....bet that was my problem. what do you guys use for your tie off loop?

~Jon

There is certainly something in angling that tends to produce a serenity of the mind

Posted by: cody delmere (---.dhcp.ftwo.tx.charter.com)
Date: December 27, 2008 12:53AM

i use 20 lb. fireline

Posted by: Barry Thomas Sr (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: December 27, 2008 09:08AM

10# Power Pro, I just carry a small thread spool to the local tackle shop and get fifty feet or so. lasts a long time making loops

Posted by: Barry Thomas Sr (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: December 27, 2008 09:08AM

Double Post! Sorry

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/27/2008 09:09AM by Barry Thomas Sr.

Posted by: George Forster (71.237.22.---)
Date: December 27, 2008 09:26AM

Jon,
I have found that "fiddling" with the wrap (packing the wraps, aligning the guides) tends to loosen things up. I leave my tags in place until I have everything where I want it. That way I can pull on the tags to tighten things, once I have everything in order. After I cut the tags, I put a coat of Color Preserver on the wraps to hold them together. I do one final test casting session, and check the static distribution again. If everything still looks good, I will add the 2nd coat of CP, and apply my finish (after the CP dries, of course). On the other hand, if I need to change a guide placement, it is very easy to cut through thread with a single coat of CP.
George

Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: December 27, 2008 09:29AM

If you are braking some of your tag ends off while pulling through, then you are most likely using too much tension. You are probably correct with your thought of it being the broken ones that have come loose

Posted by: Robert Russell (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: December 27, 2008 12:20PM

Jon,
I just sent you an email about some Power Pro in 10 lb. If anyone else is interested, I'll send you 4 or 5 yards of PP 10 lb yellow if you email me you address. I got it for super cheap and will share with others because of all those that have "shared" so much with me.

Robert

Date: December 27, 2008 12:46PM

Also, I was wondering how do you guys keep your epoxy even on the top and bottom of the wraps? Do you tape them off to get them straight, or just free hand them?

~Jon

Posted by: Greg Weaver (---.carolina.res.rr.com)
Date: December 27, 2008 01:31PM

Jon, to get an even line above and below the wraps you first have to have a steady hand. Rest your hand on something that will allow you to hold the brush or application tool comfortably at rod level. While applying the finish, turn the rod while holding your application hand still. This will lay the finish evenly around the rod for a nice clean line.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: December 27, 2008 10:53PM

Jon,
One thing that really helps a lot to have straight edges, is to use high speed when applying finish. If you get the rod spinning nicely at 15-50 rpm, it is trivial to make very straight edges. Also, the idea of resting your hand on a steady rest, or your other hand is also excellent advice.

Take care
Roger

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster