I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Titanium Guides
Posted by: Ben Lennon (---.dynamic.dsl.ncisp.net)
Date: December 26, 2008 12:17PM

I bought a few sets of the fuji TYSG spinning rod sets earlier this month from mudhole because of such a good deal. The sets are titanium frames and SIC rings in the concept style for 7 to 9' rods. I did not realize it when ordered but the largest guide is 20J and I think I need a 30J as the largest guide. I will be building the rods for trout/drum/flounder. I've built concept spinning rods before using the Fuji-packaged guide sets, which use 30, 16, 10, 8, 7, 6 sized guides and they have worked well. Just wondering if there are any thoughts how to set this up. Also, was looking at the 30J Titan guides compared to the Fuji TYSG 30J. The Titan is much cheaper(about half). Not sure what the big difference is beside the ring. I'm not too concerned about the guides matching but was just looking for input before I made another order. Thanks

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Titanium Guides
Posted by: Mark Blabaum (---.dsl.mhtc.net)
Date: December 26, 2008 01:26PM

Ben, I wouldn't be afraid to put the 20J guide on in place of the 30j. The rule of thumb was 1/2 the size of the spinning reel, but I have been using much smaller guides than 20's and having great luck with the wieght and casting distances. I would use the 20 and forget about using a 30.

Posted by: J.B. Hunt (---.pool.dsl.logantele.com)
Date: December 26, 2008 01:39PM

I agree with Mark. And drop all the intermediate sizes. You only need about 3 maybe 4 sizes. For instance try a 20,12,8 and the rest #6 fly guides and do some test casting. You may be able to get rid of the #8, just watch your line path.

Posted by: Jean Scurtu (---.hsd1.tx.comcast.net)
Date: December 26, 2008 02:46PM

Ben,

I was catching a lot of speckled trout,flounder ,red fish,black drum without problem,using long rods build by me with guides model "M" SIC(the biggest guide size 16mm,,the smallest size 2mm.).If you read something about microguides you can see the advantage.
I fish an the bank just with spinning reel(DAIWA SS TOURNAMENT),braid 4lb-10lb.+fluorocarbon leader (8-14lb.).

HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!

Posted by: Ted Morgan (---.telkom-ipnet.co.za)
Date: December 26, 2008 02:48PM

The NGC guidelines will put you in the ballpark for good performance for a wide range of lines and weights. From there, you can yweak and twiddle until you get the best performance for what you want to do. I suggest investing in a couple more guides to make up a full set of transition sizes (frame doesn't matter, the TYSG and NIA are the same height, except the 8L) and a few more size 6. Depending on the spool diameter and the rod size, a 20 could still serve you well.

On light rods to medium rods, 25, 16, 10, 8L then 6's out to the tip is a generic setup that gives decent performance for a wide range of lines and weights. 20, 12, 8L in lighter classes does the same. You can go smaller and lighter with 16, 10, 8L, or 16, 8, then into the 6's......

And if you wanna go all in......... M&m Vol. 5....Spinning rods.

Page 2 here on the forum. I personally think it'd be well worth it, and will be trying it out as soon as I get home...

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: December 26, 2008 04:10PM

Ben,
In contrast to some of the other posts, I agree with you on the guide size - if you are using heavier line.
Also, if you run running heavier lures with the heavier line, the larger first guide makes sense.

When I use the concept guides on similar rods, I generally run a 30, 16, 10, 8j, 8 and the rest 6 to the tip.
If I am running lighter line - I run the same guides, excpet I use a size 25 for the first guide.

If a person wants it, I will go down to micros, but I have had some of the rods back to put larger guides back on the rods. These folks were ones, who used leaders and simply had too much problems with knots running through the micros during constant casting and retreives.

Good luck. Great guides.

Roger

Date: December 26, 2008 05:26PM

Roger, skipping the size 8 and just going 8J to the 6's gives a good path in my experience that casts well with heavier line. Same with the lighter line and the 25.

Had to make the same call with the leaders and running knots, especially on my personal rods and those for my mates who fish RLF style like I do. I haven't found need to go bigger than the 25 butt guide when using braided line.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.150.popsite.net)
Date: December 26, 2008 06:58PM

I use the Titan guides and like them. Why buy Fuji - Name brand ??? Check out the Library page under The Concept guide system. The butt guide as far as I am concerned should be or start at 1/2 the size of the END PLATE on the spool. That is where the line comes off the spool and then goes to the guides. Largest ( pig tails ) Check things out here : [rodcomponents.hostrator.com] guide weights and here : [www.rodbuilding.org] how to set up your guides.

Date: December 27, 2008 02:00AM

The Titans are cool, much better priced, but I think he took advantage of Mudhole's sale and so has Fuji Ti's in hand.

Down in Oz there's been a few problems popping up with the Titans....

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.150.popsite.net)
Date: December 27, 2008 08:33AM

Ted: What kind ?

Posted by: Rohit Lal (---.riv12.nsw.optusnet.com.au)
Date: December 27, 2008 11:11AM

A shipment of titans arrived with the frames popped, as in split. The fly style running guides have developed a habit of just falling off, breaking at the elbow on rods fished a lot. Many rings have fallen out including my own rods that are maintained and fished with utmost care. The size 8 and 10 'A' frames distorting badly on rods that are fished a lot. Just some problems that I have had. I used around 40 sets of these things and having to rebuild all these rods one by one pretty much. It took around 6 months of being in the field before the issues started appearing

Another issue that I had was I once sourced a few sets from a local dealer and found the rings to be much fatter then the once I got in from US. I used them as I had to get the rods out but have since rebuilt them after some of those rings fall out as well

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: December 27, 2008 12:07PM

Rohit,
Have you talked with the people from American Tackle to inform them of the problem?? What did they say?

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Rohit Lal (---.riv12.nsw.optusnet.com.au)
Date: December 27, 2008 12:21PM

Mike
I sent one email to which I did not get a reply. I love their blanks but I cant bring myself to trust the components any longer

Date: December 27, 2008 09:39PM

Since hearing about those issues (not just from Rohit) I have also heard from the owner of one of my latest builds. Popped rings. Distortion I have attributed to the softer alloy used ( I have been able to rework a size 8 to the same height as a Fuji 8L), but rings just popping out after a couple months use..... Putting on the gold nanolite titans on the next rod, and very nervous, cos this guy fishes hard.

The few I got at the time were direct from the States, and seemed well finished, thin rings, neat gluing. Time will tell, as they certainly are an attractive proposition from the wallet perspective. Hanging on for the Ringlock A-Frames and tops. Certainly willing to give them a good run and see what's up, especially through the hot Aussie summer and then cooler winter. I would like to give them a workout on a couple of my personal rods before I make up my mind.

Haven't had much to do with the new blanks, but the light Traveler model I built up certainly made me stand up and take note. Light weight, power, strength, and after watching it cast light to medium jigs and plastics, then knock over fish after fish on a couple trips, well, I like it.

Posted by: George Mock (---.sub-70-211-159.myvzw.com)
Date: December 29, 2008 08:16AM

FWIW, ive built two fly rods using the Titan "NIF" fly guides. I fished the daylights out of one of those rods last summer throwing huge flies (and catching large fish!) and the Titan's performed very well. In fact, I've got another fly stick build in progress right now again using the NIF guides. For this last rod I also got the Titan Ring lock stripping guides. I'm not sure what the model number of this guide is but it's the one ATC recommends for use with the NIF's. I am not particulary pleased with the Titan Ring Lock strippers. Their construction, quite frankly, is a bit crude. Around the top of the guide the metal is neatly formed around the ring but at the bottom of the guide where it branches off to the feet, the ring is not enclosed and the metal looks like it is torn with jagged, unfinished edges.

The Fuji titanium stripper guides, on the other hand, look like pieces of fine jewelry. Of course the Fuji's are more than twice the price of the Titan's. The phrase "You get what you pay for" comes to mind.

George

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: December 29, 2008 08:29AM

I have used the Titan A frame guides (NIA) and Titan casting guides (NIC) on a number of rods and the only trouble was with a #6 A frame when I stepped on it. No rings coming out, no broken frames, no problems that could be reasonably blamed on the guides. I have fished the rods for a max of about 3 years. Some have had pretty rough use, some pretty easy use.

I notice now that they offer a ring lock titanium frame. Maybe because some rings have been coming out?

Just bought a set for a new rod I'm starting-hope they perform as well as they have in the past.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster