I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Highest grade cork source
Posted by: Rohit Lal (---.riv12.nsw.optusnet.com.au)
Date: December 26, 2008 07:43AM

Hi guys
What would you folks recomend as the source of the highest grade cork from the sponsors list. I need to put together grips no longer then 2.5 to 3 inches

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Highest grade cork source
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: December 26, 2008 08:03AM

Most all of the sponsors purchase their cork from 1 of about 3 main suppliers.

Ask for CG-1 grade. If they won't agree that their cork is representative of that grade (there is a scale behind it and you can find it on the library page) then go elsewhere. That's the top grade available.

Remember that if somebody tells you they have "flor" or "AAA," that sort of thing doesn't have any sort of scale behind it. Flor can be perfect and it can also be full of large pits and holes. There is no standard, text or photographic, behind any other cork scale other than the RodMaker scale (which is why some cork salesmen don't like it - they're held accountable for what they're selling).

Posted by: Rob Hale (---.northstate.net)
Date: December 26, 2008 08:37AM

I have only found a few places that use the Rodmaker cork scale but would agree that it is the ONLY way to know beforehand what you're getting.
Anybody call tell you that they're sending you FLOR grade but what does that really mean? There is definition as to what FLOR grade actually is, is there? Some say it's the best. So what? The best they have or the best available? What is THE BEST? If they say "CG-1" you have a photograph of what it's supposed to look like to go by and will have recourse if it fails to measure up to that published standard.

I have had very good results with the cork from Anglers Workshop. Not saying that others don't have some just as good but in today's market the stuff I have gotten from AW is about as good as I've seen anywhere.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.ptld.qwest.net)
Date: December 26, 2008 09:57AM

No matter what the source, they aren't going to just have it setting around. Your going to have to preorder and wait for them to fill your order, or get real lucky.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/27/2008 11:49AM by Spencer Phipps.

Posted by: Anthony Lee (---.omega12.maxonline.com.sg)
Date: December 26, 2008 10:06AM

Are CG-1 corks natural and unbleached? I am very interested to know which sponsor here carries such corks. Most that are available are all bleached and faults covered.

Date: December 26, 2008 10:10AM

Bleaching doesn't cover faults - it simply makes the cork whiter. Natural cork is an off-white, almost light tan.

Most all cork is bleached during processing to kill mold and bacteria. Some rings are then further bleached to make them whiter, but that doesn't last long once put into use.

Posted by: James Willard (208.46.72.---)
Date: December 26, 2008 12:55PM

The above guys no infinately more than I do but I have found two of he sponsors on the left that offer a really high quality type of cork that I have never seen before if you like that sort of thing they seem almost white and have next to no defects in the surface. Batson and Jann's Netcraft have them. Hope it helps.
James

Posted by: Ted Morgan (---.telkom-ipnet.co.za)
Date: December 26, 2008 02:58PM

Stopped using cork rings..... simply too much variability and discrepancies in quality.

Use composite cork now.....floor tiling (adhesive free) and bulletin board cork. I cut rings using a 1 1/4" hole saw, then glue up the rings for my split grips. Cork looks better (has nice grain), takes Tru-Oil like a champ and comes out looking sweet as!

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: December 26, 2008 04:04PM

Ted,
How thick can you purchase the bulletin board cork?

Take care
Roger

Date: December 26, 2008 05:33PM

Hey Roger,

The bulletin board stuff I purchase locally in Townsville, Oz, is 4 mm thick. The floor tiles, same cork, is 6 mmm thick. A good deep hole saw cuts 4-6 rings quickly and easily without friction and burning. I stack the sheets 5 high, clamp together, then go to town on the drill press. Sheets are 30 cm x 30 cm, and come 12 sheets to a pack for the bulletin board stuff. Floor tiling comes in larger packs.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: December 26, 2008 10:29PM

Do the floor tiles have finish on one side?
I would think that if they do, it could cause a glue up some issues.

Take care
Roger

Posted by: Michael Joyce (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: December 27, 2008 12:01AM

Wanted...CG-1 grade cork,,,please ship me all you have at a resonable price.....think about it.

NERB that types with a bar of Ivory soap in his mouth.

Date: December 27, 2008 02:08AM

Roger, you can get them primed or raw. The primed ones have the adhesive on them, and you have to sand that off before you glue it up, as it really messes with epoxy. They are not finished per se (like gloss finish) until they are laid on the floors, then they get a urethane finish that really darkens it up, highlights the grain and takes a polish well too. Been meaning to try and blag some next time I buy, but for now I have a fair bit of Tru-Oil and it serves me well.

Only thing with this cork is it takes a while to glue up longer grips, having to use thin rings. They also make great accent rings too.

Date: December 27, 2008 11:05AM

Michael,

What is a reasonable price? Some would say $1 a ring. Others would say (and pay) $3+ per ring. Depends on what you're using it for and what you're willing to pay for the best available cork.

What I have seen lately in CG-1 is nearly $2.50 to $3 per ring. It's nice, but you pay the price.

Posted by: Rohit Lal (---.riv12.nsw.optusnet.com.au)
Date: December 27, 2008 11:17AM

Thanks all for your replies. I played with some of mudholes $2+ rings and found them to be good enough for what I was looking for.

Date: December 27, 2008 09:40PM

Rohit, e-mail on it's way.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster