I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Double spine
Posted by: Luis Rosado (---.dlt.dsl.dynamic.acsalaska.net)
Date: December 25, 2008 07:25PM

I 'm in the process of building a rainshadow rod, RX7 graphite (CB66MH 10-20). The problem is that when I go to mark the spine I end up with two didtinct spine. I take a break and try again with the same results. What should I do?

TIA

Lou

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Double spine
Posted by: Robert Russell (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: December 25, 2008 07:50PM

Lou,
I'd bet that most on here build on the straightest axis and not the spine. I'd encourage you to do that instead. There's a good article in the most recent RBM that details this.

Happy Holidays,
Robert

Posted by: kevin knox (---.transcendbroadband.net)
Date: December 25, 2008 07:51PM

Feel each spine. One will be stronger than the other. When you find that one that is strongest, build on that one.

Kevin

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: December 25, 2008 08:00PM

I'd vote for the straightest axis! Robert, what is RBM??

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Robert Russell (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: December 25, 2008 09:15PM

Sorry Mike, RMM. Too much Christmas with the kido and family.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: December 25, 2008 09:17PM

I'd also go with the straightest axis and disregard the spine.

However, if you still want to find the effective spine, try sitting the blank butt on a marble and then pressing down on the tip. Mark the outside of the curve it forms. Do this a few times. Most likely, it will spin to the same mark each time as one will be more dominant than the other. That will be your effective spine.

Posted by: Russ Pollack (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: December 25, 2008 11:16PM

Go with the effective spine, being the one with the "softest" bend, or the most bend. Ton's marble trick is a good one if you don't have a Renzetti spining tool.

Uncle Russ
Calico Creek Rods

Posted by: Tim Collins (---.hsd1.mi.comcast.net)
Date: December 26, 2008 08:19AM

If you hold the blank horizontally and pull straight down on the tip, when you find the two "relaxed states" of the blank, if they're 180 degrees apart, aren't the two spines located at 3 and 9 o'clock? Thanks.

Date: December 26, 2008 10:04AM

No, the spine isn't a "thing." It's not located anywhere. The Effective Spine is referenced as the outside of the curve when the blank has been pressured and allowed to roll into position. It's just a reference point, not an actual thing.

Remember, the spine isn't a physical thing - it's an effect created by several manufacturing anomolies.

Posted by: Luis Rosado (---.dlt.dsl.dynamic.acsalaska.net)
Date: December 27, 2008 02:06AM

Guys,

Tank you very much for educating me on the spine.

Robert, Can you please give the RMM Issue that covers building straightest axis and not the spine? I need to learn how to do that.

Kevin, I was not able to tell which one was stronger. The gentleman that taught me told me that build on the stronger, I don't know if is the lack knowledge or that the spine were so close that I wasn't able to tell.

Tom, I Used the technique that you mention but I was getting different results, about 50/50. ( maybe me, maybe the rod)

Ross, I guess I need to invest in one of those tool. What say you?

Tim, You are correct they are located 180 degree apart.

Now for an update.

I mock-up the rod, guide and everything put a load in the rod maybe a one and half pound, guess what? The rod broke. Was this my fault?

Date: December 27, 2008 08:58AM

Maybe, maybe not. A pound and a half is a pretty good load for say, a light bass rod. Not much for a powerful striper stick or saltwater rod. Return it to the manufacturer and let them determine the cause.

The spine is referenced as the outside of the curve formed when the blank is pressured and in the curve that represents the softest axis.

To build on the straightest axis, which most commercial manufacturers and many if not most custom builders do, just sight down the rod and find the straightest axis. There will probably be a slight curve in the blank and you want that upward (tip and butt high, belly low).

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster