I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

The Devil is in the Details
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: December 25, 2008 04:23PM

A few days ago I posted about a new technique developed by Bobby Feazel that I believe may revolutionize the way custom rod builders go about putting names and inscriptions on their rods. In the past few days, I’ve had a lot of guys email me (I think Bobby has had some email him as well) and ask if we’d just tell them what we’re doing so they can have a go at it. I won’t do it (I doubt Bobby will either) because if I (we) do, most guys are going to waste a good deal of money frustrating the beejeebees out of themselves only to get very, very poor results.

So is something wrong with the technique? No, but like anything, the devil is in the details and this is the value of RodMaker Magazine articles. I don’t publish something just because somebody sends me something - it has to work and it has to work for the masses without undue problems. During our research and testing these past few weeks, we’ve uncovered maybe 1 way to get really nice results and about 100 ways to royally foul things up. By the time the article gets published, however, every trouble area will have been addressed and the reader will be the beneficiary of our time, money and work. We will have made every possible mistake for you - so you don’t have to suffer any of them yourselves.

Not only that, but the materials needed will be affordable (they’re not right now) and one of the serious trouble areas that would otherwise affect nearly every person trying this will have been resolved.

Really good information takes money and time to create. But it has real value for those who want good (even perfect) results right out of the gate. Look for this exciting and stunning technique in the Volume 12 #1 issue of RodMaker.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: The Devil is in the Details
Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: December 25, 2008 05:23PM

Tom. Bobby
Thank you for that commitment I for one like not wasting time and money.
That alone makes it worth the wait.

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: December 25, 2008 05:32PM

Just give them half of teh details. THis way tehy screw it up, and HAVE to buy the magazine, lol.

Posted by: Richard Kuhne (---.listmail.net)
Date: December 25, 2008 06:20PM

After the magazine comes out, about half or less of the details will trickle down to the web and then people will start screwing it up and coming here and other places to ask questions.

Posted by: Rob Hale (---.northstate.net)
Date: December 25, 2008 06:47PM

There is never anything safer than a good, detailed set of instructions............. and the sense to read them!

Posted by: Robert Russell (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: December 25, 2008 07:24PM

I'm sure I can still manage to screw it up. Bobby's tried to help me in the past, so I'm anxious to see the full article.

Posted by: Harold Dean (207.194.36.---)
Date: December 26, 2008 10:37AM

If someone just tells me how to do something, it's guaranteed I'll find a way to mess it up. BUT, If someone shows me and explains why one needs to do this or that, it makes a world of difference. Keep the articles and pictures coming Tom...

cheers

Date: December 26, 2008 11:00AM

The details are particularly important in this technique. It gives absolutely stunning results, but the media and process require great care.

Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: December 27, 2008 08:41AM

The "Dealer" AKA editor and chief photographer in this "Decal" game keeps upping the stakes for the February Issue of Rodmaker.

Mr. "Put Em On The Scales Dewey" AKA "Micro On Top" Feazel must be enjoying his adult beverages in the evening knowing full well that he has all of us in a "bind"!

I find it now necessarry to "call" their latest pot stakes bet!

[www.mapquest.com]

I hope that now you will at least be required to spend some additional funding on increased security!

Please note the presence of the State Line (we are just on the other side and prowl at night - put em in the safe before refilling the glass) See the two red spots about 200 yards out in front of where you throw the cranker - Clyde is watching every move you make!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/27/2008 01:06PM by Bill Stevens.

Date: December 27, 2008 11:07AM

The only way I know to describe these inscriptions is "Electric!" A very apt name when you come right down to it.

Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: December 27, 2008 01:27PM

What size batteries should we buy? How many? Do you describe the wiring harness involved? How long will the things stay lit up until the batteries need recharging? Does the excess weight of the batteries effect the sensitivity of the rod? Will the decals light help in feeding the line through the micro guides in the dark? Just stay away from the word Psycho! I already have a use for that tag line! Details, Details, Details, .......

Date: December 27, 2008 03:52PM

All joking aside, these are the first truly electric inscritions - the colors continually change before your eyes. The most striking thing I think I have ever seen on a custom rod inscription... or on a custom rod period.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster