I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Proper Thread Tension?
Posted by: Travis Tarver (63.81.218.---)
Date: December 24, 2008 06:58PM

So I've built a few rods now, and I'm getting more comfortable in doing it, but I have a question on thread tension on my wraps. How tight is tight enough? I assume I'm making mine too tight as when I pull tag ends using metallic threads, they quite often shred the foil off of the core, and regular threads can be hard to pull without having to wrap my pulling loop around my fnger a couple of times. I think this may be to much tension, but my mind still tells me that tighter has to be better for keeping my guides stable. Is there any general rule for how much tension should be on a finished guide wrap?

Thanks much.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Proper Thread Tension?
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: December 24, 2008 07:59PM

After the guide is wrapped, you should be able to move or shift it slightly with gentle pressure. Neither tight, nor loose. Snug is a better word, I suppose.

Posted by: Russ Pollack (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: December 24, 2008 10:07PM

Tom's absolutely on point here. You need to be able to move the guide just ever so slightly in order to obtain a perfect lineup from stripper to tip.

Unfortunately, the feel for the tension it takes depends partyl on the rod surface, as well as the exact threadd you are using, and yes, itt can vary not only from spool-to-spool in the same brand but even from type-to-type (i.e., NCP /vs/ uncoated, regular ccolor /vs metallic), and even color-to-color in some brands of thread. It just takes practice and patience to get it down.

Please don't get frustrated with it. It's worth it when you get it right.

Uncle Russ
Calico Creek Rods

Posted by: floyd cashmore (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: December 25, 2008 10:47AM

Travis,
Good Question, and one I believe everyone has while progressing in the art of rod making. If you don't have a mentor to show you exactly how tight is enough, then how do you know? You say you are more comfortable with your rod building. Well I believe you have reached another milestone. At least that's how I felt when I finally understood how tight was tight enough. Things just seemed to get easier after that. From what you say above you are very much to tight. Do you remember reading of very simple rod twisting devices, about how you could put the thread in a cup, and then run the thread through a book for the proper tension? As simple as this system seems, it's a tool I'll use at times wrapping multiple threads, like for a tiger wrap, or even an inlay. You can do a search in the photo directory and see many tension devices designed and used, all probably good for their intended purpose. But the one I like the most, and the one I think really gives you a greatest clue on proper tension is this one by Mike McGivney. [www.rodbuilding.org]
Some one jump in and correct me if I'm wrong in this statement, the strength of your guide wrap is cumulative. Another words if your thread is rated at 2.2 lbs. and you wrap 10 wraps the strength will be somewhere around 22 lbs.[www.gudebrod.com]
Nylon & NCP® Rod Building Threads. Instead of cranking your thread tension device very tight and then trying to go looser and looser. I would relax my tensioning device until just before it falls apart, and gradually increase tension from there. The self taught learning curve can be a long one, I believe there is light at the end of the tunnel.
hope this helps
floyd

Posted by: Rob Hale (---.northstate.net)
Date: December 25, 2008 06:49PM

I just pull the thread until it feels right. How much is "right" well that's hard to say. But I think the word snug was used and that's how I'd describe it. Just snug. Once wrapped if you can't move the guide at all its way too tight. If you can shove it all over the place, it's too loose. Anywhere in between is going to be just about right.

Posted by: George Forster (71.237.22.---)
Date: December 27, 2008 10:52AM

Travis,
When using metallic thread, put the tag into your tie-off loop, pull the loop until it just touches the wrap, then clip your tag to about 1/2-3/4" before pulling it through. Longer tags will twist more, as you pull them through, causing the foil to unravel.
George

Posted by: Mike Sterland (---.range86-155.btcentralplus.com)
Date: January 01, 2009 05:47PM

I've found using mono as the pull through removes most of the issues with metallic thread - 6lb Trilene.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster