I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Concealed Hood Question
Posted by: James Willard (208.46.72.---)
Date: December 24, 2008 12:56AM

I started my first rod tonight and I got the entire handle done, a split grip concealed hood handle and beyond running into the infinitestupid problems that you would never consider until you are rushing to get it done before the epoxy sets. Any how I just realized that there is hole just small enough in the concealed hood to fit over the blank and if it has to have room to raise and lower it as it secures the reel to the seat. So my question regards a but wrap, do I put one, or not, do I put it higher, or not, do i widen the hole in the hood? I need an answer here and I love your guy's help but please do not say it is your choice. I realize that it is my choice but I would prefer to know what the normal procedure is since I am just beginning and then I will make crazy new fangled messed up changes. Thanks again everyone.
James
Oh ya and if no but wrap then is it realistic to at least put a decal down, i realize that I will have to at least slightly widen the hood to fit over the decal snd finish covering the decal. Thanks again

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Concealed Hood Question
Posted by: Ted Morgan (---.telkom-ipnet.co.za)
Date: December 24, 2008 02:10AM

James, whatever you put on there will need a coat of finish that will increase the diameter of the rod. Not sure what you mean by "concealed hood", but I am thinking integrated foregrip/locking nut (KDPS). Correct me if I'm wrong. You will have to widen the hole the blank passes through: by how much you won't know until you've put the decoration on and the epoxy has leveled and cured. One option is to put the decorative work higher up, but some bare blank will be exposed when it is all tightened up.

The use of the grip (screwing tight and unscrewing) may scratch the epoxy if it's a tight fit. It is indeed, however, your choice. If you have the KDPS as I think, then once you open out the hole, keeping it centred as best you can, you can dress it up with a winding check. There is one meant for just that purpose, the Fuji WCH, and Matagi has the same item, code HTWC-L. Something really flash? Matagi HTWC-P: a metal sleeve that you put over the blank to prevent scratching. You can then put your decorative work higher up, above this, and it will be in no danger.

Posted by: James Hicks (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: December 24, 2008 07:53AM

Sounds like it's too late for this one rod but another option is to design your handle as a split grip and put your decoration, label, signiture, whatever, in the split. There are pleanty examples of split grips in the photo section here.

Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: December 24, 2008 10:39AM

James there can be some very productive time spent with other builders when you are first getting started. There are 10 builders listed in your area in the Directory at the top of this page. Arrange for a visit, meet a new friend and speed up your learning curve - [www.rodbuilding.org]

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: December 24, 2008 11:06AM

James,
Could you do us all a favor, and post a picture of your rod under constuction in the photo section?

I have built many hidden hood handles, but am having trouble following your problem description. A picture will help explain the issue much better.

Take care
Roger

Date: December 24, 2008 03:32PM

Ok, everyone I am uploading the handle under the handle section and it is a split grip and I don't want to talk about the discolored spot on the butt grip. The terrible string of events that led up to that was worth of a spot on a comedy t.v. show. I thought about putting a decal or wrap between the grip, but I just don't think that it would look right because it is only a six foot rod so I made the handle a little bit shorter. it ended up being 3 3/4" between the grips, go figure planned on 4". Anyways thanks and I will look into that Fuji WCH winding check. And I did think about just moving the but wrap or decal up a little but the empty spot below it would look a little ridiculous to me. Thanks again guys, take a look at the pic and let me know what you think, minus the dark spot.

Date: December 24, 2008 03:32PM

Ok, everyone I am uploading the handle under the handle section and it is a split grip and I don't want to talk about the discolored spot on the butt grip. The terrible string of events that led up to that was worth of a spot on a comedy t.v. show. I thought about putting a decal or wrap between the grip, but I just don't think that it would look right because it is only a six foot rod so I made the handle a little bit shorter. it ended up being 3 3/4" between the grips, go figure planned on 4". Anyways thanks and I will look into that Fuji WCH winding check. And I did think about just moving the but wrap or decal up a little but the empty spot below it would look a little ridiculous to me. Thanks again guys, take a look at the pic and let me know what you think, minus the dark spot.
James

Well now I understand what everybody on the board has been talking about having problems putting pictures on the photo page. No luck, will keep trying.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/24/2008 03:38PM by James Willard.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster