I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

crappie rod tip
Posted by: Richard Fleming (---.hsd1.tn.comcast.net)
Date: December 23, 2008 06:40PM

guys a friend of mine broke the tip off his Walley Marshall Crappie Rod and he ask me if a new tip that small could be bought. i was wondering if i had him to take a measurment about 1/2" back from the broken tip with a Caliper...................would that give me a good enough measurment to get a Tip Top for his rod.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: crappie rod tip
Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: December 23, 2008 07:53PM

Richard,
To answer, your question, YES that would be just fine.

However, I need to ask as to how much of the tip was broken. i.e. was 1 inch, 5 inches, or 15 inches of the blank broken off the rod.

A person can always put a tip on a rod, irrespective of size and length with the right tip.

However, if you have a light tipeed Crappie rod, and very much of the rod has been broken, one needs to give pause as to the wisdom of just adding a tip back on the rod.

Often, if many inches have been broken off the rod, the rod action is seriously impaired. If that were to happen, one is often better off to cut an additional foot or so off the rod. Then, splice on a new tip section, guides, and finish to restore excellent overall rod action.

In contrast, if the extreme 1 inch or so of the rod has been broken off, you can put a tip back on and only very slightly stiffen the rods tip.

Take care
Roger

Posted by: Russ Pollack (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: December 23, 2008 11:48PM

Roger's right. Another way to measure would be to use a proper sizing guide that'll read the diameter in terms of tube size.

Most tackle stores (not the big-box idiots, but real tackle stores) carry at least one box of all kinds of tips. The easy thing would be to try them to see if they havve something small enough. Even if it's a little loose, that can be made up with a thread wrap. They can also properly measure the remaining tip for you.

Uncle Russ
Calico Creek Rods

Date: December 24, 2008 09:44AM

it's a Wally Marshall -14'- M/H - Tight lining Crappie Rod it had 15 Guides. he measured and said that almost an 1 1/16" was broken off. i appreciate you helping me.
Richard

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: December 24, 2008 11:11AM

Richard,
No problem on this rod. I have worked with many of these rods, modifying them to be used for long trolling rods. I am familiar with the tip section on this rod. The tip broken off will have little effect on this particular rod.
If you still have the original tip, it is quite possible that it may still fit on the blank. That particular blank doesn't taper very fast at the tip. If not, simply make a clean cut at the tip to insure a square end, and put a new tip of the appropriate size.
I think that it is either a size 5, 5 1/2, or 6 will be required, depending on the particular blank.
The best thing to do - if the source is nearby, to take it to the rod shop and pick up a tip that matches.

Take care
Roger

Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: December 24, 2008 03:15PM

Richard your post is one real sore subject with me - when I got started in rodbuilding the crappie fishermen started to ask me to build them some of my "classy fishing poles" for them to take to the lake to harvest slabs. I did - bought good expensive blanks - wrapped them real pretty - bargained with them to almost get enouth to cover the cost of blanks and components - they were smiling when they left - when I discovered that not one of them thought one thing about sticking my fine custom rod down in a tree top to try to get a $ 0.25 jig loose and snapping of the tip - I have since learned to tell all of the crappy fishermen to go back to Wally buy another crappy rod. )>

Date: December 26, 2008 01:43PM

thanks a bunch ....guys. i know what ya mean about guys not caring and also how much of a friend you are when they are bargaining on a price for a custom built rod.
i think he still has the original tip that broke off.
thanks again guys

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster